Joselu (now playing for Al Gharafa)

Dave

• 2 weeks later...

If our eyes don't deceive us (i.e. Gayle isn't completely knackered), then I think we've reason to be mildly optimistic about about this front-pairing. It's clear that neither of them are going to be prolific, but when they're playing anywhere close to their respective maximums, they have the potential to be balanced, functional and offer a goal threat.

Joselu's hold up play can be canny enough, and he's tall enough to offer something in the air... all of which offers a fold to Gayle's pace and positioning.

Really hope Rafa continues with them both, as it's bound to be more effective than Perez + a CF. Then with Shelvey and Merino at centre-mid, and two averageariffic wingers, we'll be middle-of-bottom-halfing all the way to the bank. :thup: :thup:

If our eyes don't deceive us (i.e. Gayle isn't completely knackered), then I think we've reason to be mildly optimistic about about this front-pairing. It's clear that neither of them are going to be prolific, but when they're playing anywhere close to their respective maximums, they have the potential to be balanced, functional and offer a goal threat.

Joselu's hold up play can be canny enough, and he's tall enough to offer something in the air... all of which offers a fold to Gayle's pace and positioning.

Really hope Rafa continues with them both, as it's bound to be more effective than Perez + a CF. Then with Shelvey and Merino at centre-mid, and two averageariffic wingers, we'll be middle-of-bottom-halfing all the way to the bank. :thup: :thup:

True but I’m slightly worried about how Perez not playing exposes our midfield. Maybe less of an issue when Merino’s back, but still.

True but I’m slightly worried about how Perez not playing exposes our midfield. Maybe less of an issue when Merino’s back, but still.

Which is why I think a front 2 of Perez/Mitrovic is still worth a shot at some point. Gayle is probably the best finisher we have but Mitrovic's hold up play is very good - easily as good as Joselu's, and Perez defensive capabilities are quite important to us - especially in games against better opposition - which is most teams. I did like the look of Gayle/Joselu at times mind fwiw.

3rd choice PL striker at best. Should only be brought on as fresh legs in the last 5 minutes of any match.

He's a player you bring on to hold up the ball and close out a match. Unfortunately we play him as our first choice striker.