Other clubs' transfers

Greg

I don’t think it’s a crisis but losing out on both of our attacking midfielder targets isn’t a good look for us. I’m sure we’ll move on to other options but I’m really gutted about this one unlike Maddison. I can see him doing well for Liverpool. 

4 hours ago, Kanji said:

Hopefully your manager wont claim poverty when he's likely spending 100m on 2 players in Mac Allister and Szoboszlai. I mean this will all due respect to you (class poster and contributor here) 

I just want to point out that I avoid participating in such discussions. This is your home, and you come on here to let off steam and legitimate issues against other clubs and that includes LFC. :)

I enjoy the discussion here. I enjoy getting the views of fans of another club which I respect, even if some of them are anti-LFC.  And unless I have something to contribute positively, I avoid posting. :)

8 minutes ago, midds said:

Great signing for the scousers, got to be said. I'd have absolutely loved him here based on what I've seen and read. 

It's going to take years to catch the likes of Liverpool up off the park though realistically, we've made massive strides in the last 18 months but pinching players like him from them will take a lot longer. I'm happy to wait though, it'll happen :)

He looks like a great player and given I cannot stand Liverpool in general bar a few sound pounds a i know so yeah it’s a little frustrating but you make a great point about being realistic where we are currently. We’re slowly posing these teams off more and more for me and that’s good enough for me ?

Edited by ExiledGeordie

Well that's a bit of a shit sandwich to swallow going into the weekend. Maddison didn't bother me that much, always felt that wages-wise, we wouldn't be likely to break our structure. Szob though, was hopeful and excited on that one. Poor, unable to compete scousers penny pinching in the transfer market again eh Jurgen? I'm not concerned, we'll have other exciting options hopefully moving along but it is a bit of a disappointment, think he'd have been awesome on the right side of the attack.

Edited by LionOfGosforth

What hurts about DS is he's the exact profile we need, haven't seen any firm links to other players of the same type bar Maddison and they aren't easy to locate. If you look at the teams who finished above us, a player in the vein of De Bruyne, Odegaard, and Fernandes would be the biggest differentiator at face value in terms of starting XIs imo.

Maybe the plan is to play Bruno further forward after all..

Just now, Barnes23 said:

What hurts about DS is he's the exact profile we need, haven't seen any firm links to other players of the same type bar Maddison and they aren't easy to locate. If you look at the teams who finished above us, a player in the vein of De Bruyne, Odegaard, and Fernandes would be the biggest differentiator at face value in terms of starting XIs imo.

Gabri Veiga was the other attacking midfielder we were strongly linked with, also has a release clause but big clubs all circling.

1 minute ago, Barnes23 said:

Yes agreed this one was perfect 

defo this seasons Pacqueta but at least put out of our misery early

cant think of an alternative tbh

Olmo perhaps, Wirtz. Guler slightly different. Even Kvaradona is different style. It was the fact he was the right age to slot straight in and had leadership experiences etc he was right profile off the pitch too.

I'm not too fussed about missing out here, never seemed like the links were that strong. As has been said numerous times and is very evident, the media have no clue who we are signing. We are about to wrap up a €70m signing ourselves and have plenty of time to go in the window, let's wait and see who we bring in instead.

1 minute ago, Barnes23 said:

I think Bruno and Tonali will interchange, be quite a fluid midfield rather than one set DM and a more advanced midfielder.

Just hope our other big money signing, as I'm only expecting 2 this window, will be a quality upgrade for the right sided attacker of the front 3 assuming we're sticking with 4-3-3. Just wonder if we'll go for a more traditional kind of wide player in the mould of Diaby and Raphinha as opposed to a form of #10/AM playing on the right like what Maddison and Szoboszlai looked like.

2 minutes ago, HaydnNUFC said:

I think Bruno and Tonali will interchange, be quite a fluid midfield rather than one set DM and a more advanced midfielder.

Just hope our other big money signing, as I'm only expecting 2 this window, will be a quality upgrade for the right sided attacker of the front 3 assuming we're sticking with 4-3-3. Just wonder if we'll go for a more traditional kind of wide player in the mould of Diaby and Raphinha as opposed to a form of #10/AM playing on the right like what Maddison and Szoboszlai looked like.

I think we will go for a more out and out creative winger. Our midfield is sorted.

2 minutes ago, ExiledGeordie said:

I think we will go for a more out and out creative winger. Our midfield is sorted.

Agree. Diaby fits that bill; affordable wages, right age, great attacking output and will be able to be part of our press. But the links to him seem to have gone cold and I heard from a couple mates of mine that were at the TF journalist thing night last month that Howe isn't that keen on Diaby apparently. 

Suppose we'll see. Expecting to be surprised tbh. The club keep things right under wraps these days.

Edited by HaydnNUFC

What I am concerned about is that everything is slow and almost too measured. Angelo who we’ve been linked to for years has gone for only 12m to Chelsea after they took the other young Brazilian we’ve been linked with in January Andrey Santos. So even the gems we’re not quick enough with and the likes of Minteh are not highly rated where we’ve fought off others to get, even the team he plays for said they didn’t expect move so soon as he’s so raw. 

The calibre we are targeting is excellent and where the big boys are shopping also but we don’t seem ruthless enough in getting the deal done. 

Edited by kingxlnc

1 minute ago, Interpolic said:

Ceiling comments aside, Liverpool genuinely seem to have spent a fucking fortune the last few years like. 

Don't know exact figures but Diaz, Gakpo, Nunez, MacAllister and Szob have to be about 250-275m between them. MacAllister is a sure hit, brilliant player like.