Other clubs' transfers

Greg

2 minutes ago, gjohnson said:

Would immediately lose loyalty bonus

The whole “Daniel Levy-Shrewd Operator” thing has lost a lot of gloss. He got absolutely ridden roughshod by both Mourinho and Conte and his treatment of Kane would make me think twice if I was a player potentially looking to join them.

41 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

You’re thinking Bogarde. But Bogarde signed way before Abramovic but was hanging around a year or two into the Abramovic era. 

Yeah Bogarde was there before him and basically said the money was so good he didn't care if he played or not. He sounds like an average person and not a footballer in that respect....if I could be paid 50k a week to turn up for a few hours training a couple of days a week with no pressure to actually perform or contribute I'd do the same.

Chelsea probably have about 20 with the same mindset at the minute though. If you can be made a millionaire multiple times over in a few weeks, why would anyone want to leave 

Just now, Nucasol said:

The whole “Daniel Levy-Shrewd Operator” thing has lost a lot of gloss. He got absolutely ridden roughshod by both Mourinho and Conte and his treatment of Kane would make me think twice if I was a player potentially looking to join them.

It think he is shrewd tbh, most chairs will make bad managerial appointments tbh. 

he’s got daftys offering 100m euro for 30year old with a year left. 

8 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

Aye. He doesn’t carry the ball like Rice but everything else he seems to be at least as good as imo. But Caicedo is younger and can play more positions. 

Yeah, I can't believe how much they're messing about, especially as they don't really have anyone else that can play that defensive midfield role.

Just now, KaKa said:

Yeah, I can't believe how much they're messing about, especially as they don't really have anyone else that can play that defensive midfield role.

Agree on Caicedo, he would have been my number one target for us this summer (obviously before I realised they want 100 million)

2 minutes ago, Nucasol said:

Levy was never a shrewd operator...he was just sensible and held out for what players were worth... unfortunately for him, he seems to have lost perspective and isn't realising that an ageing Kane is worth a lot less to other teams than he is to Spurs

1 minute ago, gjohnson said:

Yeah Bogarde was there before him and basically said the money was so good he didn't care if he played or not. He sounds like an average person and not a footballer in that respect....if I could be paid 50k a week to turn up for a few hours training a couple of days a week with no pressure to actually perform or contribute I'd do the same.

Chelsea probably have about 20 with the same mindset at the minute though. If you can be made a millionaire multiple times over in a few weeks, why would anyone want to leave 

Bogarde was 30 when he joined though. Left at 34.  He signed that contract knowing that would be his retirement fund. Most of the Chelsea lot could still earn £20m+ by the time their Chelsea contracts end. 

2 minutes ago, r0cafella said:

It think he is shrewd tbh, most chairs will make bad managerial appointments tbh. 

he’s got daftys offering 100m euro for 30year old with a year left. 

Who could easily dig his heels in and walk for nowt. 

Just now, The College Dropout said:

Bogarde was 30 when he joined though. Left at 34.  He signed that contract knowing that would be his retirement fund. Most of the Chelsea lot could still earn £20m+ by the time their Chelsea contracts end. 

And that was Chelsea's fault for not spotting that he'd be happy to take their money and sit in the reserves for the duration. I'm sure at the time they thought he'd be a good first team player, but forever reason it wasn't spotted by their scouts and only became apparent when any of their managers just wouldn't or couldn't play him

I doubt they'd offer the equivalent contract now

3 minutes ago, gjohnson said:

Read an article once where it was mentioned how many players in the game aren't really into it that much, they are just good at it. The player interviewed said he was one who'd be doing it if players were on a grand a week but he was surprised at how many literally see it as a job and had little interest in the game away from their 'job'.

Levy used to make shrewd signings. Carrick, Berbatov, Bale, Modric etc. did smart things like get the Bale sell-on clause removed.  The stadium is magnificent  and is becoming the  number 1 stadium in the country for musical tours and such. Massive revenue. 

But In recent years he’s lost the plot chasing short term success on the pitch.  

Uktimately he doesn’t care if Spurs win things and it shows. And he’s believed his own hype.  

2 minutes ago, gjohnson said:

Levy was never a shrewd operator...he was just sensible and held out for what players were worth... unfortunately for him, he seems to have lost perspective and isn't realising that an ageing Kane is worth a lot less to other teams than he is to Spurs

I compare it to Ronaldo leaving Man Utd. The club said “give us one more year and we’ll let you move” and kept their side of the bargain. Levy said he could go if he signed the new deal and welched. For all Kane’s loyalty to date, I’d love to see him buy himself out last day of the window to join Bayern. Won’t happen but we can dream.

8 minutes ago, Nucasol said:

All decent managers seem to be thinking twice now. Seems they got turned down a few times before appointing.

2 minutes ago, Nucasol said:

Who could easily dig his heels in and walk for nowt. 

Exactly...and that's what's most likely to happen and will make Levy look like an absolute mug for ignoring a very good fee for a player who is probably just past his peak 

The ‘it’s a job’ thing has a wide net of interest though.  

Saw a podcast with Michail Antonio.  He said he didn’t grow up watching loads of football and doesn’t watch loads of football now. Barely knows any referee names too.   Doesn’t mean he doesn’t care about football he’s just not a fanatic who wants to know the ins and out of everything 

I mean Levy’s trying to be clever here, pray he gets back in to the champions league and get him to resign, it’s a massive gamble like and it’s still in unclear if he will flog him to Bayern or keep him. 

I think apart of the problem for Spurs is how can they replace him given the fees strikers are going for?

maybe @leffe186 can share some insight. 

1 minute ago, Nucasol said:

I compare it to Ronaldo leaving Man Utd. The club said “give us one more year and we’ll let you move” and kept their side of the bargain. Levy said he could go if he signed the new deal and welched. For all Kane’s loyalty to date, I’d love to see him buy himself out last day of the window to join Bayern. Won’t happen but we can dream.

I'm totally indifferent to Kane as a player. Objectively I can see he's up there with the best...and I can sort of see a Shearer mentality with him maybe wanting to stay with Spurs....club legend, potentially PL goal record holder, but the transfer saga is getting dull. 

Move and prove he's truly good, win a few medals and retire with pride or stay and attempt for a goal record without any trophies, and go down as a club legend. 

Bit of a tough choice to be fair

9 minutes ago, Nucasol said:

Agreed. It seems such a small time attitude and lacking faith in yourself and the set up you have created. Rather than backing yourself to adapt and grow with the money it brings in, he's determined to hang on to the diamond that fell into his lap at all costs. Even City let players go at the right price and when circumstances merit it.

I know ASM isn't Kane but I think how Newcastle's leadership approached his leaving verses Spurs and Kane just shows a more mature and ultimately ambitious structure is being put in place at Newcastle.  I think we'd act the same for Bruno, Isak et all. We'd have our price but we'd let them go and would have pre selected 4/5 potential players that would help us continue to grow.

The only thing I can think of in Levy's defence is he might have been burned by how they squandered the money the sale of the last world class player they had (Bale) brought in. Still a bit of a small time attitude.

I think its a no brainer for him to move, he will probably do 2 or 3 years in Fermany then come back to the Premier league for another couple to try and beat Shearers record £85 million now or nowt next year is an easy decision.

If he stays and Spurs are having a poor to average season I can see the fans turning on him towards the end of the season because by then his next move will be lined up.

I’m sure Kane would be happy to see the season out with Spurs and then move to Man Utd for free next summer with a bumper contract and sign on fee. He then gets an even bigger pay day and stays in the PL to beat Shearer’s record. 

2 minutes ago, aussiemag said:

I’m sure Kane would be happy to see the season out with Spurs and then move to Man Utd for free next summer with a bumper contract and sign on fee. He then gets an even bigger pay day and stays in the PL to beat Shearer’s record. 

Would the Spurs fans be happy with that though, if he doesn't sign a contract he's obviously not committed, if it was me I'd rather he moved on so we could use the money to better the team, his presence will turn toxic next year.

21 minutes ago, r0cafella said:

I mean Levy’s trying to be clever here, pray he gets back in to the champions league and get him to resign, it’s a massive gamble like and it’s still in unclear if he will flog him to Bayern or keep him. 

I think apart of the problem for Spurs is how can they replace him given the fees strikers are going for?

maybe @leffe186 can share some insight. 

Oof. I’ll try :lol:. First things first:

33 minutes ago, gjohnson said:

Levy was never a shrewd operator...he was just sensible and held out for what players were worth...

Seems pretty shrewd to me. I’d say building the club from what it was in the early 2000s at a time of significant financial doping elsewhere while preparing the ground (literally) for the redevelopment was a terrific achievement, and self-evidently shrewd. As for Kane, who apparently still has to…

30 minutes ago, gjohnson said:

Move and prove he's truly good…

I don’t really know what’s going on. There are certainly two camps among the fans regarding Kane, and two regarding Levy. I feel like the people who just want to sell Kane for the money are getting more numerous by the day, particularly with the change in tactics. As far as replacing him - well you can’t really, not without the Champions League money and attraction. You just thank your lucky stars (and frankly, your shrewd operation) that you already have Richarlison and Son on the books and look for a younger player to develop. Like this Argentinian kid. 

I presume all parties are pissing about. Just look at that Bild journalist and that recent article about “actually Kane is a bit shit”. Personally I think there will never be a better time to move him on.

33 minutes ago, aussiemag said:

He can sign a pre-contract agreement with an overseas club in little over 150 days. Clock is ticking.

2 minutes ago, leffe186 said:

Oof. I’ll try :lol:. First things first:

Seems pretty shrewd to me. I’d say building the club from what it was in the early 2000s at a time of significant financial doping elsewhere while preparing the ground (literally) for the redevelopment was a terrific achievement, and self-evidently shrewd. As for Kane, who apparently still has to…

I don’t really know what’s going on. There are certainly two camps among the fans regarding Kane, and two regarding Levy. I feel like the people who just want to sell Kane for the money are getting more numerous by the day, particularly with the change in tactics. As far as replacing him - well you can’t really, not without the Champions League money and attraction. You just thank your lucky stars (and frankly, your shrewd operation) that you already have Richarlison and Son on the books and look for a younger player to develop. Like this Argentinian kid. 

I presume all parties are pissing about. Just look at that Bild journalist and that recent article about “actually Kane is a bit shit”. Personally I think there will never be a better time to move him on.

Appreciated my friend :thup: