Other clubs' transfers

Greg

7 hours ago, Deuce said:

:lol: the whole “Bundesliga is trash” trope is going a little too far these days. Feels like folks would put it on par with the Belgian or Swiss leagues, when it’s clearly a top tier league.

It's a great league. It's entertaining to watch, the support and ownership model is brilliant and produce/develop some of the best players and managers around. 

The issue is they just can't hang onto the players and managers for very long. The clubs are constantly having to do rebuild jobs as Bayern or other European sides raid them of all their talent. It's a bit sad as Dortmund are huge club and the biggest challengers and they are essentially viewed as a stepping stone club now. 

Reliable source for Saudi transfers apparently, although I'm sceptical a deal will move forward

Al-Ittihad club entered into serious negotiations to include Egyptian international Mohamed Salah during the current summer transfer period. A source close to the player told Al-Riyadiah, in an exclusive interview: “It is true. There are negotiations between Mohamed Salah and the Saudi club Al-Ittihad. This is what I can say, for now I have no other details.”
The same source added, “The offer must be attractive for the Egyptian star to come to play in Saudi Arabia. Salah still has a lot to offer in England. Meanwhile, sources told Al-Riyadiah that the Western club’s offer to Salah amounts to 180 million euros for two seasons, in addition to 60 million pounds sterling to buy the remaining period of his contract from his English club, Liverpool

8 minutes ago, Barnes23 said:

Reliable source for Saudi transfers apparently, although I'm sceptical a deal will move forward

Liverpool out of the title race if that goes through 

1 hour ago, Jaqen said:

It's a great league. It's entertaining to watch, the support and ownership model is brilliant and produce/develop some of the best players and managers around. 

The issue is they just can't hang onto the players and managers for very long. The clubs are constantly having to do rebuild jobs as Bayern or other European sides raid them of all their talent. It's a bit sad as Dortmund are huge club and the biggest challengers and they are essentially viewed as a stepping stone club now. 

I respectfully disagree.

There's a reason nobody watches it.

2 hours ago, Jaqen said:

It just looks broken to me - Germany’s national team decline is likely the result of just how broken the Bundesliga is. 

There is nothing entertaining about one team being so completely dominant that no-one else gets a look-in.  And Bayern’s ultra-dominance has also seen them decline as a European power.  The only challengers Bayern have had for any period over the last couple of decades - other than Dortmund - have all been vehicles for private companies - which pisses on the vaunted ‘50+1’ model (Bayer Leverkusen, Wolfsburg, RB Leipzig). 

Personal one this, but I’ve also never been able to ‘get into’ German football - it never felt like it had the glamour of Italian football, nor the technical brilliance of Spanish football.  

Edited by TheBrownBottle

1 hour ago, TheBrownBottle said:

It just looks broken to me - Germany’s national team decline is likely the result of just how broken the Bundesliga is. 

Centralisation of tactics that used to work now failing massively. No coincidence that the only team who have massively bucked the trend are Union despite being ‘smaller’ can actually defend and soak up pressure.  

I’m the same RE: Bundesliga. It should be better than it is and for me it’s too homogenous and not tactically diverse enough so all games are loosely the same. 

At the same time games are well attended, relatively affordable and two of the biggest clubs in the country are perennial basket cases in the Bundesliga 2 so they’re doing something more right than wrong over here. And if fans are happy and going to games that’s the only thing that matters.

This is probably the first year in a while I won't bother with the Bundesliga. Largely due to what Disco outlined above.

The dominance of Bayern doesn't bother me too much, particularly given we're seeing similar trends in France and now England, but 90% of the league are basically working from the same blueprint. Even if some clubs are absolutely dreadful at it.

When it comes to football, Germany get a lot right, far more than most. But a bit of variation in tactics and ideas would make for a far more entertaining watch.

13 hours ago, Kimbo said:

If Rice is worth over £100m, I can't really say Caicedo isn't.

Caicedo is one of the best midfielders in the league already at just 21 years old.

He can play the holding role, box to box and also slotted into right back last season and played the inverted full back role.

If Havertz is £65 million, Cucurella is £60 million, and £100 million is being paid for Grealish and Rice then Brighton can absolutely ask that for Caicedo.

14 hours ago, Shearergol said:

Rice is better than Caicedo but neither are worth that much. Enzo is loads better than both.

From what I’ve seen (diabolical Chelsea management tbf) I’d rather Rice or Caicedo. 

Rice and Caicedo are physically dominant and both can play.  Enzo needs someone like that alongside him imo.