Other clubs' transfers

Greg

1 hour ago, LFEE said:

You stating that we are sitting on our hands as if we aren’t doing anything. Like you say in one hand you’ve probably agreed that was not what you intended to say but in other you are still 😆

It's similar language to the club. "Wait and see". "We'll react to the market".

We are not being proactive in our search for players in this window. At least not until the end. That's the message and it's akin to "sit on our hands" IMO.

1 hour ago, joeyt said:

These type of deals seem to be getting more common the last few years, teams sending out players on loan but extending their contract at the same time 

Chelsea have been doing this for ages. Kenedy only left in 2022 because of it. They don't let non-first teamers run down their contracts. 

19 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

It's similar language to the club. "Wait and see". "We'll react to the market".

We are not being proactive in our search for players in this window. At least not until the end. That's the message and it's akin to "sit on our hands" IMO.

Chelsea have been doing this for ages. Kenedy only left in 2022 because of it. They don't let non-first teamers run down their contracts. 

I do wonder if they can continue to do so if they’re out of the CL for a while. They’re still generating a ton from their youth set-up though.

Have to admit I'm abit frustrated at Spurs emergence this year. I really thought after the awful end to the season last year and with Kane leaving we wouldn't have to worry about them. 

But, and I know they had a massive head start in finances and many years finishing top 6. But they are in a far stronger position that us now in terms of squad depth and quality and I think it's gonna be frustrating trying to break back in next year with the likes of them, Villa now and probably improving Chelsea. All while we will continually have to spend less than them due to FFP.

2 minutes ago, alexf said:

Have to admit I'm abit frustrated at Spurs emergence this year. I really thought after the awful end to the season last year and with Kane leaving we wouldn't have to worry about them. 

But, and I know they had a massive head start in finances and many years finishing top 6. But they are in a far stronger position that us now in terms of squad depth and quality and I think it's gonna be frustrating trying to break back in next year with the likes of them, Villa now and probably improving Chelsea. All while we will continually have to spend less than them due to FFP.

A quality right winger and left back and were giving everyone a run for their money next season.

6 minutes ago, alexf said:

Lots of people on the forum did. I always thought it was naive thinking.

Levy remains a shrewd operator.

In terms of the actual team and manager, we'll understand their level better once they are back in the CL. Likewise with Villa.

If the top 6 turns into more of a top 8. The teams in 7th & 8th will have a big advantage going into the next season either not being in Europe or competing in the Conference League. Chelsea are fumbling their opportunity but Villa & Spurs are taking theirs. Liverpool not being in the CL has helped them too.

Edited by The College Dropout

Brentford linked with Renan Lodi.

We were linked a lot before getting Targett permanently and thought he looked decent for Forest last year. Only 25 too 

I agree on Spurs, I also thought they will be  rotten shit without Kane. Simply the few summer transfer shook them up well, and the new manager imo is really great on bringing in a good mentality which is what they needed after the Conte period who blamed players quite often even fucked off while they were actually 3rd place so very much in fight for CL places. he kind of forced his axe with the behaviour.

big lesson is money needs to be spent well, even 1 signing thats fits like a glove can mean a lot. unfortunately our window did not really pay off due to Barnes injury and Tonali cluster fuck situation. Hall hardly playing, and Livramento is good and young but pretty much  squad player rather than an influential starter.

going forward will be brutally hard as I dont expect Man Utd and Chelsea to underperform so much for much longer. sooner or later they throw enough money at it and they will be much better than now.

also dont expect Pool, City, Arsenal to suddenly being much worse, maybe one odd season in 5 or something, but not regularly.

I still think Villa is overrated and running very hot, expect them to suffer a lot once they have the Thursday games in Conference League kicking off, I think they wont make top5.

still hard to see we would be able to compete for same transfer targets like Arse, Man Utd, Chelsea...

so we need to be shrewd, and hit it home with transfers, no flops on big money, clear the deadwood properly, work out the financial side/sponsors properly,

Chelsea and Man Utd show you can spend 200m or 300m a year and still end up with 3-4 flops, high spend is no guarantee.

30 minutes ago, BShearer said:

I agree on Spurs, I also thought they will be  rotten shit without Kane. Simply the few summer transfer shook them up well, and the new manager imo is really great on bringing in a good mentality which is what they needed after the Conte period who blamed players quite often even fucked off while they were actually 3rd place so very much in fight for CL places. he kind of forced his axe with the behaviour.

big lesson is money needs to be spent well, even 1 signing thats fits like a glove can mean a lot. unfortunately our window did not really pay off due to Barnes injury and Tonali cluster fuck situation. Hall hardly playing, and Livramento is good and young but pretty much  squad player rather than an influential starter.

going forward will be brutally hard as I dont expect Man Utd and Chelsea to underperform so much for much longer. sooner or later they throw enough money at it and they will be much better than now.

also dont expect Pool, City, Arsenal to suddenly being much worse, maybe one odd season in 5 or something, but not regularly.

I still think Villa is overrated and running very hot, expect them to suffer a lot once they have the Thursday games in Conference League kicking off, I think they wont make top5.

still hard to see we would be able to compete for same transfer targets like Arse, Man Utd, Chelsea...

so we need to be shrewd, and hit it home with transfers, no flops on big money, clear the deadwood properly, work out the financial side/sponsors properly,

Chelsea and Man Utd show you can spend 200m or 300m a year and still end up with 3-4 flops, high spend is no guarantee.

Yeah I just posted something in the Transfers thread about this. I think you’re going about it the right way. You need to clear the deadwood, keep making solid buys (I actually thought Livramento was a terrific deal at the time and still do) and just keep building. I think the money will come. 

You’ve been run by a selfish idiot for years and are turning things round. Matchday income will improve to an extent, commercial deals will improve etc. One reason FFP covers five years is to smooth things out and ensure that one great year or one bad year shouldn’t blow things up.

It’s hard to compete with Arsenal, Chelsea etc for transfer targets but they’ve just had their massive splurge and will now have to cut their costs accordingly. 

For the last 20 years I’ve been annoyed that Man U, Man City and Chelsea (in particular) can fuck up but then throw money at a problem and it goes away. I’m not sure that’s going to be so easy going forward. Too many clubs are run too well right now and the depth of the PL TV money is improving parity somewhat. Not as much as I’d like, but better than it used to be.

5 hours ago, BShearer said:

Great Post.  Very close to my judgement/future.

16 hours ago, BShearer said:

We've been saying this about Man Utd for about 10 years, haven't we? Both clubs are poorly ran. I wonder how much Chelsea will be able to spend in the future. Maybe Man Utd can get their act together with Ratcliffe coming in. Like most seasons many was saying before the season that every big club will be firing on all cylinders, but as usual that's not what actually happens.

Edited by Erikse

14 minutes ago, duo said:

Do Newcastle have any sell on clause for Tony? If figures are to believed they recon he could go for a £100 mil 😬

We probably got a tenner from Peterborough, but I think only they might get a bit of a windfall now.

4 hours ago, duo said:

Do Newcastle have any sell on clause for Tony? If figures are to believed they recon he could go for a £100 mil 😬

£9m is the amount we’ll get if he goes for £100m

3 hours ago, Pandamninator said:

They have form with Ighalo and Weghorst.  And Wood despite his lack of success here is probably a step above those two for the role he would play.

We're not signing Chris Wood. :lol:

16 hours ago, BShearer said:

Whilst we will struggle to maintain the form for the second half of the season, the odds on us not finishing top 5 are pretty large, and if we fail to do so, it won't be anything to do with the Conference League restarting.

We've used the squad really well so far - we have won every game we've played immediately after a CL fixture so far this season - and it doesn't even restart until March.

1 hour ago, brummie said:

Whilst we will struggle to maintain the form for the second half of the season, the odds on us not finishing top 5 are pretty large, and if we fail to do so, it won't be anything to do with the Conference League restarting.

We've used the squad really well so far - we have won every game we've played immediately after a CL fixture so far this season - and it doesn't even restart until March.

:memelol:

6 hours ago, catlover24 said:

£9m is the amount we’ll get if he goes for £100m

Is that confirmed anywhere better than the sun. As much as im sure the top notch reporting from them is as always correct....