Other clubs' transfers

Greg

29 minutes ago, Nucasol said:

Pep’s recent transfer business hasn’t been that spectacular. Gvardiol, Grealish, Nunes and Phillips all underwhelming compared with both reputation and fee size. I can’t see how they’d had been worse off with some of their stellar youngsters coming in.

At least he's only 22 with plenty time in front if him. The others have been average to poor. My Man City supporting mate hates Nunes, reckons he's one of the worst signings they've made in the last 10 years and is often ridiculed by their fans for being nowhere near good enough. Imagine not being as good as KDB...

2 minutes ago, Dr.Spaceman said:

At least he's only 22 with plenty time in front if him. The others have been average to poor. My Man City supporting mate hates Nunes, reckons he's one of the worst signings they've made in the last 10 years and is often ridiculed by their fans for being nowhere near good enough. Imagine not being as good as KDB...

Agreed but Gvardiol looked stellar elsewhere and hasn’t looked with it since making the step up. Yet another Red Bill Leipzig fluff job? Not quite Werner or Keita but somewhere in the middle.

5 minutes ago, gbandit said:

Gvardiol will be the best in the world at CB within three years, I’m sure of it 

Possibly. Been an underwhelming transition year between Bundesliga and PL. Is he being Dan Burned and played out of his best position? 

Every time I've seen Gvardiol I've thought he's looked canny. Imagine moving to a shit hole at the age of 22, I'm sure you'd be on top of your game as well [emoji38]

Edited by Dr.Spaceman

Yeah I'm sure in a few years Gvardiol will be renowned as one of the best CB's. 

Hes unique in that he's unreal with the ball, can impact the game in the final third with his passing and can play inverted / auxiliary left back role

90m seems a bit much though considering Dan Burn only cost 13m

Lot of guardiola signings struggle first season. Hell Ake looked a baffling signing for a long time and now seems a mainstay. (albeit was Ake signed under guardiola? feels an age ago that one). The price tag is eyebrow raising is the thing, no chance of making anywhere near that back if it isn't just adapting and he really isnt up to it

On 09/04/2024 at 09:36, janpawel said:

Yeah I'm sure in a few years Gvardiol will be renowned as one of the best CB's. 

Hes unique in that he's unreal with the ball, can impact the game in the final third with his passing and can play inverted / auxiliary left back role

90m seems a bit much though considering Dan Burn only cost 13m

It’s what you had to pay. Everyone wanted him. We’d been after him for ages but our window closed very quickly.

On 09/04/2024 at 11:01, Tiresias said:

Lot of guardiola signings struggle first season. Hell Ake looked a baffling signing for a long time and now seems a mainstay. (albeit was Ake signed under guardiola? feels an age ago that one). The price tag is eyebrow raising is the thing, no chance of making anywhere near that back if it isn't just adapting and he really isnt up to it

They make a profit of £100M anyway - it doesn’t matter to them. 

On 09/04/2024 at 11:01, Tiresias said:

Yeah, didn't the Man City fan on here say Rodri was crap the first year and now he's top class.

1 hour ago, leffe186 said:

It’s what you had to pay. Everyone wanted him. We’d been after him for ages but our window closed very quickly.

My point on the price was purely to parody Dan Burn haha

But you raise a good point, similarly I thought Arsenal paid a lot for Declan Rice, however if this fee stops Man City getting him and further enhancing their premiership dominance... Then it's worth it

On 08/04/2024 at 20:48, Nucasol said:

Who is he likely to replace?

Kovacic/Gundogan.

He would be excellent alongside Rodri and behind Foden/KDB. So would Bruno so that's fantastic.

On 09/04/2024 at 07:06, Nucasol said:

Pep’s recent transfer business hasn’t been that spectacular. Gvardiol, Grealish, Nunes and Phillips all underwhelming compared with both reputation and fee size. I can’t see how they’d had been worse off with some of their stellar youngsters coming in.

I haven't loved any of their transfers in a long time. Talent/excitement wise they are a long way from the Sane, Sterling, Mahrez type wingers.

It can take years to master Pep ball though. Gundogan for example got better and better every season damn near. Same with Rodri. He as pretty poor in his first 18 months or so. Rodri-Gundo didn't work properly for some time. Not like the Fernandinho-Silva axis at least. Then it clicked.

8 hours ago, Checko said:

Yeah, didn't the Man City fan on here say Rodri was crap the first year and now he's top class.

Kompany is his first season at Man City was atrocious.  Turned out to be excellent.

Am I right in thinking he’s got 1 year left? He’s got Chelsea written all over him. Would love him to be a colossal flop. His craic is absolutely lifting.

11 hours ago, leffe186 said:

Bought better and more suited for less tbf in Men with Ven. 

7 hours ago, midds said:

It's that cheap that certain clubs will be looking to buy him to make sure other clubs can't...

Hopefully one pif related just to piss the greedy 6 off

6 hours ago, Disco said:

Bought better and more suited for less tbf in Men with Ven. 

Yeah in the end. We wanted Gvardiol years ago trying to get him when the price wasn’t as steep. VDV is obviously more suited now Ange is here.

Toney is a great player, and would improve us, but it feels like he comes with a lot of baggage, given the way he has spoken in the press about his desire to leave and basically throwing Brentford under a bus, it makes me not really want to go for him tbh.