Other clubs' transfers

Greg

In Asif and Amir Pakistan lost their two front line opening pace bowlers in their peaks, both of whom had the potential to be best in the world. Many cricketers even today say Asif was one of the most difficult bowlers they ever faced and yet he had a frightfully short career as this scandal pretty much ended his career. Amir was only 17 at the time so although he made a comeback years and years later I believe he was never the same. 

So there was a huge punishment for it. I fear for Paqueta as he’s just entering his peak and was on the cusp of one of the biggest moves. 

10 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

He’ll be lucky to play for anyone if he’s done for spot fixing.  

First I've seen of that! 

Shitbags 5 a side - Zouma, Sigurdsson, Paqueta, Greenwood, Toney (Zouma rush goalie)

Edited by Hot Since 1882

Just now, Hot Since 1882 said:

First I've seen of that! 

Only missing a keeper from a Shitbags 5 a side - Zouma, Sigurdsson, Paqueta, Greenwood

Dont think Paquetas crimes are quite as bad to be tarred as the same brush as Sigurdsson and Greenwood like. 

Any talk of it wasn’t him placing the bets is wishful thinking. They refer to an investigation into a large bet on Xhaka receiving a yellow card which the FA had the National Crime Agency investigate that came back to show no wrongdoing, after all there is no reason that people can’t bet on someone receiving a yellow card in a game and it is a legitimate betting market.

The issue becomes if people connected to the player bet on this and if they have, then what does their other betting history look like including what sort of bets do they place and the amounts for. That will be what they use to decide if there is any criminal activity.

I do wonder if something came back on Paqueta in some sort of NUFC investigation into him last summer. Been plenty of talk about how much of a value we place on character under the new regime so maybe there were red flags.

Playing style wise he's an absolutely perfect fit for us, would have added some creativity on the ball that we lack too.

Seemed like the deal was there to be done, made sense and Paqueta and NUFC were both up for it.

Until all of a sudden we just weren't...

How thick must Paqueta be to do something like this. Members of his family placed the bets. Really?

Doesn’t the league mandate some sort of training in preseason to ward off this sort of thing? Like flight attendants on a plane? Surely, the clubs must take steps to explain —in the simplest terms possible—  that a player is risking his carrier doing something like this.

1 hour ago, Tiresias said:

...but how did they know he'd get a yellow card? Yes he is entitled to presumption of innocence so will wait but some people aren;t understanding why this is so bad

Exactly this. Family can bet but to have odds tumble like that on something quite specific relating to him and them putting maximum stakes on smacks of collusion.

On the subject of Fulham, has Mitrovic’s status been decided? He staying or going? Often if a player wants out I expect they’ll go but he’s far and away their most important player so it’ll be interesting to see what happens 

3 hours ago, Tiresias said:

I suspect this shit goes on all the time. Paqueta may be the unfortunate stooge who actually takes a fall for it

I'd be very surprised if it happened much at the top level at all. The average punter will probably drop a tenner or so on a card bet. If there's suddenly large amounts being placed on a specific player who then happens to be booked it will stand out like a sore thumb. Unless the accounts have a history of regularly betting similar amounts on the same markets and taking big losses you're pretty much done for. 

To make multiple new accounts and bet the maximum amount allowed is about as blatant as you can get :lol:

Online bookies have so much data to go on that anything that is even slightly above the norm is flagged up instantly. There was around 10 Chinese snooker players banned recently for throwing specific frames that was uncovered quite easily for what was relatively low amounts compared to what Paqueta is being accused of. 

With how much his odds changed pre game the bookies knew they were getting done before he even stepped onto the pitch. 

13 hours ago, alexf said:

That seems worse than Toney no? 

Toney was never accused of bets on his own games was he? He just bet on other matches. It Paqueta is directly influencing matches he's involved in then that's very bad. 

Always makes me wonder aswell with the amount of money these players already earn, maybe there is outside influence and he might be only going along with it under threat or something? Either that or he's just a very naive idiot.

A huge bet on a player being booked must be a red flag to a bookie.

51 minutes ago, Jaqen said:

I'd be very surprised if it happened much at the top level at all. The average punter will probably drop a tenner or so on a card bet. If there's suddenly large amounts being placed on a specific player who then happens to be booked it will stand out like a sore thumb. Unless the accounts have a history of regularly betting similar amounts on the same markets and taking big losses you're pretty much done for. 

To make multiple new accounts and bet the maximum amount allowed is about as blatant as you can get :lol:

Online bookies have so much data to go on that anything that is even slightly above the norm is flagged up instantly. There was around 10 Chinese snooker players banned recently for throwing specific frames that was uncovered quite easily for what was relatively low amounts compared to what Paqueta is being accused of. 

With how much his odds changed pre game the bookies knew they were getting done before he even stepped onto the pitch. 

In Brazil, where betting has grown in the past year, over 10 players were done for spot fixing. Yellow cards, throw ins in certain minutes etc. I think it happens all the time and I know it does. In Sweden its been quite common in many sports for many years at the highest level as well. I think Paqueta if found guilty (I think its fair to say it seems absolutely obvious by the facts provided right now) should be banned for at least 2 years, but the only solution to the problem will be betting becoming illegal and that won’t happen. 

Also, in this specific case it seems bets were done in Brazil at a store (kind of contradicts the story of multiple accounts) by relatives to him. Maybe they were naive enough to think it wouldn’t be found out as it the bets and the yellow card were in two separate countries.

Edited by Flip