Other clubs' transfers

Greg

On 27/06/2024 at 20:57, Checko said:

On a whim I thought 'I wonder who Del Boy supports?'

According to wikipedia: "In 'The Long Legs of the Law' he implies that he supports Chelsea."

Quelle surprise.

Sort of makes some sense. Family probably should have been Millwall but he had ideas above his station.

22 hours ago, andycap said:

It's since the yanks took over the majority of clubs all this shit started happening. Before long they'll have 14 clubs run by fellow yanks and they'll do even more damage. 

American ownership will be the death knell for football as we know it in this country. We'll have all-star games and ridiculous fixtures being played over there within a very short space of time. Then you'll get 'team London Lions versus team North East Spartans' or some iteration.

37 minutes ago, toon25 said:

American ownership will be the death knell for football as we know it in this country. We'll have all-star games and ridiculous fixtures being played over there within a very short space of time. Then you'll get 'team London Lions versus team North East Spartans' or some iteration.

Only realistic danger that isn't a part of the"fuckin' forrins" hyperbole is those owners taking their toys with them to fuck off to play in the a non-relegation "super league" with their other rich mates to protect the value of their investment portfolios.

The way the world is trending at the moment, sure, there's a chance we'll end up seeing the Community Shield turn into even more of a glorified sideshow pre-season friendly than it already is by ending up being played at a venue outside the UK. 

Other than the actual, real, threat of a breakway "super league" - there just isn't a realistic cause for concern that foreign ownership will ruin football in England. In fact, if I was asked to choose one club in the PL at present whose owners would be most likely to push for scrapping tradition if it meant they could host a cup final or PL games in their "home country" - my answer would be Newcastle. 

The "threat" isn't American club owners - it's club owners to whom the only thing that matter is turning a profit. Our years under Mike Ashley, an English owner, is the perfect example of how the game could one day actually end up in ruins - 5-6 clubs at the top have rich enough owners to compete between themselves for the league title whilst the rest of the teams are there to make up the numbers and turn a profit for their owners by being "a part of the Premier League", with no ambition or intent to even try challenging for honors.

Not woken up properly yet so my apologies if this post is just a complete mess of stray thoughts that doesn't make any sense :lol: Halfway through I had forgotten what my initial point was meant to be, as well as why I started typing a response to @toon25's post in the first place...

dumb the simpsons GIF