Other clubs' transfers

Greg

11 minutes ago, KaKa said:

Nothing to be upset about, it's his life, so if he's happy with that decision then fine.

My point is that no matter how you cut it he's still making an obscene amount of money, every and which way, so there's nothing clever about his choice in that regard.

Of course, I don't deny that, if he even joined say Liverpool he would still make lots of money

Looking at it from a football perspective I would have liked to see him play in La Liga or even better the PL but he's still young, PSG are a big club (even if it's cos of the oil money and not historically) and it is his club as well, so him staying is hardly ludicrous 

My point is more about a player being smart (with a risk attached to it of course) of signing short contracts and then seeing it out to then get massive wages and a big signing on fee too 

1 minute ago, Geordie Ahmed said:

Of course, I don't deny that, if he even joined say Liverpool he would still make lots of money

Looking at it from a football perspective I would have liked to see him play in La Liga or even better the PL but he's still young, PSG are a big club (even if it's cos of the oil money and not historically) and it is his club as well, so him staying is hardly ludicrous 

My point is more about a player being smart (with a risk attached to it of course) of signing short contracts and then seeing it out to then get massive wages and a big signing on fee too 

Yeah, I get it.

I just think because of how poorly PSG is being run, with bringing in all these players on massive money, and allowing them to undermine every manager that comes in, it is just a terrible environment for any kind of real progress for him as a player.

He's a generational talent that I don't think we'll end up seeing the very best of now. All of that money and influence coupled with what is not really going to be a challenging environment, is likely to see him begin to fall off if anything. And I wouldn't be surprised if come the end of this contract he's not looking as attractive a coup as we might expect.

It's a shame, but other players will come through and pick up the mantle as is always the case. Think the road is clear for Haaland to be the clear top player of this generation of players now, be interesting to see who else comes to the forefront.

10 hours ago, KaKa said:

Yeah, I get it.

I just think because of how poorly PSG is being run, with bringing in all these players on massive money, and allowing them to undermine every manager that comes in, it is just a terrible environment for any kind of real progress for him as a player.

He's a generational talent that I don't think we'll end up seeing the very best of now. All of that money and influence coupled with what is not really going to be a challenging environment, is likely to see him begin to fall off if anything. And I wouldn't be surprised if come the end of this contract he's not looking as attractive a coup as we might expect.

It's a shame, but other players will come through and pick up the mantle as is always the case. Think the road is clear for Haaland to be the clear top player of this generation of players now, be interesting to see who else comes to the forefront.

Bellingham and Foden defo in with a shout

1 hour ago, toon25 said:

Bellingham and Foden defo in with a shout

Yes, absolutely. I'd even throw Saka in there too.

I think Mbappe vs Haaland had the potential to be really special though, and the next Messi vs Ronaldo.

5 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

I like Kamara, good player. I trust Howe though and if we've not persued him because he feels that he's not the best fit for what we're trying to do, then fair enough.

My gut feeling is Howe is going to return to his attacking 4-4-2, with two strikers, two narrow inverted wingers, and two really attack minded full backs providing width. And so we appear to be after withdrawn strikers to support Wilson and Wood, which is why we are targeting two strikers that link play, one with a bit more experience and a younger one to be back up.

Think midfield is likely going to be Bruno sitting deeper in the number 6 slot and Joelinton as a ball winner/box to box number 8, which he has been so impossibly good at that they're going to continue to develop him in that position.

3 minutes ago, KaKa said:

My gut feeling is Howe is going to return to his attacking 4-4-2, with two strikers, two narrow inverted wingers, and two really attack minded full backs providing width. And so we appear to be after withdrawn strikers to support Wilson and Wood, which is why we are targeting two strikers that link play, one with a bit more experience and a younger one to be back up.

Think midfield is likely going to be Bruno sitting deeper in the number 6 slot and Joelinton as a ball winner/box to box number 8, which he has been so impossibly good at that they're going to continue to develop him in that position.

Be surprised if he messed too much with a winning formula

1 minute ago, toon25 said:

I'm more annoyed that Villa are making decent signings than missing out on him.

Would still bet that Villa will finish lower-mid table next year.

Yeah, it would be a decent coup for Villa, and I understand your sentiment, however I'm very relaxed about it. I love what we're doing as a club now and we are going to have our own business done soon enough too.

In actuality I kind of like the idea of other teams like ourselves, Villa, Leicester, West Ham and Wolves continuing to improve and applying lots of pressure to the teams at the top. I want the league to become more and more competitive. I think it will open things up much more and I'm confident we have a manager that will allow us to take advantage.

2 minutes ago, duo said:

Think it was more a convenient formula based on the set of players we had at the club, and ensuring we stayed up.

We'll have to see what happens anyway. Have a feeling with a full pre-season and summer to reshape the squad, he'll return to his preferred system.

12 minutes ago, r0cafella said:

Seems like an oversight on our part not getting him like. He’s free. bissouma and Philips are 50m

We might not be after Bissouma or Phillips, but they're both tried and tested. The latter has a release clause too.

1 minute ago, The Prophet said:

We might not be after Bissouma or Phillips, but they're both tried and tested. The latter has a release clause too.

Kamara is free even if he doesn’t meet the level expected you sell for a profit. 

21 minutes ago, KaKa said:

Doubt it. 4-3-3 or variations of it is what the top sides play now, and we saw against Arsenal a glimpse of how he wants us to play next season and that was in the 4-3-3.

24 minutes ago, duo said:

I hope he doesn’t sit Bruno too far back.

He’s been scoring quite a few for us where he is 

Just now, SUPERTOON said:

I’d assume he priced himself out of a move to us tbh.

But not Villa who are committing big wages to Coutinho and Digne. We should be looking to push above them next season and create a gap.