Other clubs' transfers

Greg

1 hour ago, Kid Icarus said:

:lol: Do you honestly think that people flat out don't take pay cuts?

I can't answer for Sewelley, but I can answer with a yes for myself and I know plenty of people who've done the same. That's before getting onto things like parents taking 0.8 contracts so they can spend time with their children, which they unsurprisingly value more than money. 

My wife and I both took pay cuts in our last career moves. My wife took one because while it was less money it was a progressive step for her. 

I took one because I was fucking miserable in my previous job. 

So add another two on to the list. :lol:

PSG shows what happen when you try and create a football mega power without prioritising the fans as an essential part of the club. The sporting project is very cash rich but feels very hollow. 

The booing of the stars in recent games has been bubbling for a while. The fans want to see young Parisians get a chance rather than buying superstars. 

They account for 44% of the total wages in the entire league. 

Madrid want 50% off his image rights IIRC which he didn't want to give up. 

PSG are offering him to keep 100% of that and ridiculous sign on fee and wages. If it's a two year deal he's young enough to take that, become PSGs all time top scorer have another season playing with Messi and be in the exact same position after two seasons where he can move to whoever he wants on anothe insane deal. 

13 hours ago, GeordieDazzler said:

PSG shows what happen when you try and create a football mega power without prioritising the fans as an essential part of the club. The sporting project is very cash rich but feels very hollow. 

The booing of the stars in recent games has been bubbling for a while. The fans want to see young Parisians get a chance rather than buying superstars. 

They account for 44% of the total wages in the entire league. 

What do you mean by prioritising fans? 

16 hours ago, Kid Icarus said:

People take pay cuts for quality of life reasons all the time. 

They do, you are right. But Mbappé is actually playing and living in his hometown. Who says quality of life will be better in Madrid? Would people really find it odd if he decided he wanted to stay and try and become a hero in Paris and then maybe move in 2-3 years time? He has another 10 years of career at the very least, unless something happens. Money does play a big role as well, because at 23 while he has probably made an absurd amount of money, he could very well have his career ended tomorrow so a signing on bonus of €100m would set him and his family for life no matter what happens tomorrow. Obviously, we have no idea what Real Madrid is offering. Just saying that I wouldn't think it's ridiculous if he stays. 

14 hours ago, KaKa said:

They will never win the Champions League as currently constructed. 

The switch from the level of challenge they face in their league to what they encounter in the latter stages of the Champions league is too stark.

And they are overloaded with a bunch of players that are way too comfortable and quite frankly all think they are above being coached or managed, and so will continue running off any manager that goes there.

I mean, they reached the finals and semi-finals despite injury problems to their two best players. Of course they have a chance of winning the CL. I mean, they outplayed Real Madrid this year who actually got to the final. Also beat Man City in the group stages. There are about 6-8 clubs in Europe that can beat anyone at any given night and PSG is part of that group. 

19 minutes ago, Flip said:

They do, you are right. But Mbappé is actually playing and living in his hometown. Who says quality of life will be better in Madrid? Would people really find it odd if he decided he wanted to stay and try and become a hero in Paris and then maybe move in 2-3 years time? He has another 10 years of career at the very least, unless something happens. Money does play a big role as well, because at 23 while he has probably made an absurd amount of money, he could very well have his career ended tomorrow so a signing on bonus of €100m would set him and his family for life no matter what happens tomorrow. Obviously, we have no idea what Real Madrid is offering. Just saying that I wouldn't think it's ridiculous if he stays. 

I don't disagree with what you're saying really. My post was in response to one saying that players will always take the money and that it's no different to any other job, which isn't at all accurate.

In Mbappe's situation, following his ambition, reaching his potential, and having a real chance of winning the Champions League would be the quality of life. Sacrificing that even for a couple of years is still a quality of life sacrifice, albeit the most luxurious and privileged sacrifice imaginable.

6 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

In Mbappe's situation, following his ambition, reaching his potential, and having a real chance of winning the Champions League would be the quality of life. Sacrificing that even for a couple of years is still a quality of life sacrifice, albeit the most luxurious and privileged sacrifice imaginable.

So you don't believe he stands a real chance of winning the Champions League with PSG? Despite a final, semi-final and what could've been more this year if they hadn't met a team which knocked three teams out due to a matter of minutes in each tie. 

2 minutes ago, Flip said:

So you don't believe he stands a real chance of winning the Champions League with PSG? Despite a final, semi-final and what could've been more this year if they hadn't met a team which knocked three teams out due to a matter of minutes in each tie. 

Not in the context of Real Madrid being the alternative, no. PSG don't have the DNA (cringe, I know) for winning the CL that Real Madrid and even other clubs have and if we're talking about bottlers, they're the prime example in recent years.

It's moot anyway because even he just wants to move, but doesn't in favour of the money, he's still sacrificing his ambition to some extent.