Other clubs' transfers

Greg

9 hours ago, The Prophet said:

Who cares? As long as they're still pumping money into us. 

Helping our rivals in the league reset their FFP position is the issue. They already have a head start on us and far superior spending power because of it.

I’m all for PIF continuing to invest in the infrastructure of the club, but that can only take you so far

1 hour ago, andyc35i said:

Helping our rivals in the league reset their FFP position is the issue. They already have a head start on us and far superior spending power because of it.

I’m all for PIF continuing to invest in the infrastructure of the club, but that can only take you so far

Surely investing in the club is their number one asset? You don't become the best by worrying about what everyone else is doing.

Does anybody else find PIF’s general lack of visibility at NUFC curious?

They appear to have no involvement in day-to-day running of the club at all.  If this was a super important vehicle for them, then it seems a reasonable bet that they would want their own people more involved.

Personally, I think that tells its own story.  But that’s probably just me. 

3 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

They appear to have no involvement in day-to-day running of the club at all.  If this was a super important vehicle for them, then it seems a reasonable bet that they would want their own people more involved.

They must be preparing to sell us.

worrying. 

Just now, Jack27 said:

They must be preparing to sell us.

worrying. 

No, I don’t think that of course.  No worries from me at all.  I just don’t think we sit as high in the priority list as some assumed, and now some are realising that with KSA clubs funded by PIF actively enriching and bailing rival clubs out of the shit.

7 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

That was the point though wasn’t it?

I do think it’s a bit short sighted aiding Chelsea by buying some of their dead weight for good money though. 

Very frustrating seeing Chelsea get rid of their unwanted players. 

Koulibaly and Mendy have been absolute disasters, Ziyech didnt score a goal last season. Koulibaly has another 3 years on his contract and Mendy another two, same for Ziyech. There's no way any club was going to come close to matching their salaries. At best, they'd have been able to loan them out, or move them on while still paying a significant portion of their wages. 

Now, they're going to get rid of their wages completely, due to these Saudi clubs buying them. Getting ridding of these three, and Kante, who are all the wrong side of 30 is absolutely ideal for Chelsea and it puts them in way better nick. 

9 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Aren’t two of the board of directors from PIF? Sure they’ll have a big involvement in running the club, if not publicly. 

They were always going to get rid if them though regardless of the Saudis coming in. They aren’t terrible players who no one would want, the likes of Kante, Koulibily etc where always going to be wanted.

11 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Even though PIF holds a majority of something close to 40 different companies, the head of PIF is a chairman of only 2 of them: Aramco and Newcastle United. It sure does look like an important vehicle to them. 

17 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

It's almost as if they feel obliged to reinforce the distinct separation between the club and PIF

Absolutely maddening if Chelsea come out of the utter clusterfuck of a last 12+ months with a top manager, a vaguely settled squad and something approaching financial stability. If you were to scale down the mismanagement and apply it relatively to any non-'Big Sixer' (?), it would be enough to set them back for years. But nah, not the likes of this lot.

Absolutely hideous club. Probably the only one in existence I'd love to see just disappear. 

Having loads of money will always insulate you from failure to a certain extent. They are lucky that so many of their failures are sellable assets still, and they can get lots of players off the books when they need to.

I don't understand the technicalities of the sale from Abramovich and how the debts were written off etc. 

Guest dazzanufc1892

You never know, they could be buying all these players to loan back to us for free on 0% wages so we dont break FFP. 

Ludicrous statement that fits in with some other assertions here....

Personally speaking I long for the days of yore, when the most interaction you'd have with the chair of the football club is when you flick past their notes in the programme, and the idea of knowing who was running other clubs was in most cases a complete fucking mystery.

24 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Fair enough, all.  Genuinely I’m not trying to be an arse about it.  I normally like owners to set out their vision for the club, but understand that this isn’t an everyday ownership

I think the comments from Staveley not long after the takeover went through speak volumes as well. Something about how her and Ghodoussi are asset managers, but won’t be for long if things don’t go well. 

PIF is huge and we’re a very small part of their extremely diversified portfolio. The scale of it means there will always be conflicting interests with different arms and companies all competing for investment etc. out of the same metaphorical pot, that’s just the reality of it. 

9 minutes ago, McCormick said:

PIF is huge and we’re a very small part of their extremely diversified portfolio. The scale of it means there will always be conflicting interests with different arms and companies all competing for investment etc. out of the same metaphorical pot, that’s just the reality of it. 

Yep. I'm annoyed about Chelsea being saved, but our owners contributing to it is actually by the by, for me. We're owned by Saudi Arabia - I expect absolutely tons of baggage; whether that's unrelenting questioning over moral issues, green kits, or the owners investing in football matters besides just NUFC. The horse bolted as soon as the takeover concluded.