Swansea City 0 - 1 Newcastle United - 10/09/17 (post-match reaction from p37)

BlueStar

Absolute Rafa performance and it was bloody great - we'll see this quite a bit this season, I'm sure. We were so disciplined and well drilled.

Merino was excellent again and Lascelles had a stormer, but I was so impressed with Ritchie. Absolute leader in this squad, in terms of leading by example, with his doggedness and determination. Got some decent quality in him as well, like :lol:

I thought the team selection was just about bang on. Sent the perfect message to the squad - you have to play well to be in this side, nobody is bigger than the team.

Good performance and great result.

Before the game, I saw that Swansea were bottom of the league in shots and crosses per game and so it prevailed. They look very poor in the final third, as you might expect a team suddenly without Sigurddson and Llorente. I thought Clement missed a trick when he took Sanches off for Bony. They were having a good spell, so I think it would have been better to go like for like and bring on Routledge to keep up the midfield pressure. We scored shortly after and were comfortable the rest of the game.

The team and system look great, especially when Blob doesn't have to do much. If it takes idiot pundits' eyes off his obvious talent, Merino can do a dive like that every game for me. The lad is a class above.

Just seen it again. It was pretty innocuous tbh. Not even really a yellow, just a mistake.

He got the ball.  Well, the left one anyway.

:lol: yep, he didn't have his eye on it though. According to the nation's favourite (ahem) pundits this is essential/irrelevant delete as appropriate.

Really needs to be consistency in the way the media (both tv and newspapers) analyse challenges - they absolutely go to town on Ritchie's challenge, yet they completely ignore Kachunga on Mbemba?  If you're going to have post match analysis that clearly ends up flagging things up for the FA, you've got to be even handed about it and actually review all incidents.

Just seen it again. It was pretty innocuous tbh. Not even really a yellow, just a mistake.

The kick against Mbemba remains the biggest travesty.

Not really sure how he was ever going to get the ball that way though?  Would take a pretty strange set of events for him to win the ball that way.

Really needs to be consistency in the way the media (both tv and newspapers) analyse challenges - they absolutely go to town on Ritchie's challenge, yet they completely ignore Kachunga on Mbemba?  If you're going to have post match analysis that clearly ends up flagging things up for the FA, you've got to be even handed about it and actually review all incidents.

Not likely given Sky's massive bias towards showing us in a negative light. 

Herons post brought a tear to my eye and just read this snippet of interview by  Paco,

"Mikel (Antia, coach) was on the touchline and Antonio (Gomez Perez, coach) was in the stands communicating with Rafa. Between the four of us we were making a plan of communication and it worked perfectly"

Four coaches, dedicated to the same outcome, thinking as one.

How on earth have we managed to get these people to be part of our club? We are very very lucky. Unbelievable stuff

We had the John Carver led brain trust in charge not that long ago.

It's shocking isn't it, what Bobby saw in that guy, heaven knows. Just finished watching the highlights again oon NUFC.TV, it's nice to hear the radio newcastle guys commentating. Anyway after the highlights ended there's a link to other random videos and the bottom row, consists of interviews with Pardew, Carver, McClaren and Sissoko, so glad none of those are still around the club today.

We had the John Carver led brain trust in charge not that long ago.

It's shocking isn't it, what Bobby saw in that guy, heaven knows. Just finished watching the highlights again oon NUFC.TV, it's nice to hear the radio newcastle guys commentating. Anyway after the highlights ended there's a link to other random videos and the bottom row, consists of interviews with Pardew, Carver, McClaren and Sissoko, so glad none of those are still around the club today.

I've said it elsewhere but I feel SBR saw him as a good enough lieutenant; someone to enforce and carry out a general's larger vision. Carver was never a general himself and it's shown. Just different kinds of people.

Sounded like a great win by all accounts, onwards and upwards!

It wasn't a great win, it was a good result and a solid away performance against one of the weaker sides in the division. We did more than enough to beat them but will have to play a lot better than this when we come up against tougher opponents on the road.

Herons post brought a tear to my eye and just read this snippet of interview by  Paco,

"Mikel (Antia, coach) was on the touchline and Antonio (Gomez Perez, coach) was in the stands communicating with Rafa. Between the four of us we were making a plan of communication and it worked perfectly"

Four coaches, dedicated to the same outcome, thinking as one.

How on earth have we managed to get these people to be part of our club? We are very very lucky. Unbelievable stuff

Rather have the grit of Steve Stone and Dean Saunders.

I've just watched the Sky highlights of the game and there seemed to be an odd 'exchange' between Lascelles and Gayle at the end of the game. Firstly the camera catches Lascelles shouting (angrily/commandingly) "Gayle!" There is no wide shot but I assumed he was calling him to come over to the fans? (Anybody there see any more?). Then slightly later Lascelles looks angry/worked-up and appears to be saying something like  'What are  you on about?" to Gayle, whose head is side-on in the frame so can't see his reaction. Anybody got scent of dressing room issues? Just seems a strange exchange when others were clearly so happy to have won. Was there something more to the Gayle for sale stuff?

I wonder if Gayle feels that he's back in the same impact sub role that he was in at Palace. He joined us to get away from that, so he's going to be a bit brassed off.

It may be my imagination, but he looked a bit overweight.