Rafa Benítez (now unemployed)

Greg

Would you have Rafa back?   

463 members have voted

1. 1. Would you have Rafa back?

• Yes, as manager, immediately
    • Yes, as manager, but at some point in the future (eg if relegated)
    • Yes, in an advisory or DoF role
    • No, not in any meaningful capacity

This poll is closed to new votes

The players look totally bereft of confidence. Understand why he does it but don't think it helps when he talks about how shit they are

I don't think they'd be any less shit if he didn't say it, but that's just my view.

Being fair, he's certainly part of the problem right now. Yes he's working with a poor squad and has been shit on from above by Ashley, but I'd still expect more points and better game plans from a manager of his pedigree. We're missing so many big opportunities and to be consistently so negative is really holding us back. An average Championship side would accrue more points from the past 11 games, in my opinion.

Guest Howaythetoon

Shit tactics

Miserable form

Piss poor football

Going down

Questionable team selections

Let’s blame the players 100% entirely.

I’m still with you Rafa man, but this isn’t acceptable, regardless of the players or takeover situation.

Shit tactics

Miserable form

Piss poor football

Going down

I’m still with you Rafa man, but this isn’t acceptable, regardless of the players or takeover situation.

:thup:

Guest neesy111

Gutted at this tbh. Especially considering one of the people he put his faith into in the relegation season was Lascelles, who was untested at this level.

It makes no sense for me what he's saying there.

Freezing out Mitro hasn't helped him when we're so incompetent up top.

That is the one decision I can't understand. Not that I think he would make much difference, but when you have shit strikers you need to give yourself every option.

Guest firetotheworks

FWIW, I don't think when people say 'the players aren't good enough' it's blaming the players, it's blaming Ashley. Just in case that wasn't obvious.

Guest Howaythetoon

What a moronic comment that is from him.

How about not wasting 12 million of our budget on a one for the future then if you can't get the c*** ready to play?

I have a feeling he was happy with a one for the future believing more money would be forthcoming for first-team players...

Gutted at this tbh. Especially considering one of the people he put his faith into in the relegation season was Lascelles, who was untested at this level.

It makes no sense for me what he's saying there.

He spent 12 million on Murphy then goes and says that. Not exactly old and proven is he..

s*** tactics

Miserable form

p*ss poor football

Going down

This is what you should have posted to begin with, instead of your maniacal meltdown.

Blaming Rafa for signing Stoke’s 4th choice striker, for £5m. Yes, I’m sure he was really high up on his list FFS :lol:

This place is fucking bi-polar at the minute. Cunts everywhere.

You blame him for playing all the time not the fact that he was signed by him or forced upon him. Everyone in the ground can see he doesn't even half half of the ability that Shola had

The guy is the worst top flight striker ive seen in over 40 years of supporting Newcastle and Rafa still p[uts him as probably the 2nd name on the teamsheet....that's his fault

That was woeful today. I’m backing Rafa for now as he seems pivotal to the takeover but otherwise he’d be on borrowed time. We were second best again and simply didn’t take the game to Brighton, we conceded ground and were very predictable. Shelvey should have been on by 60 minutes. Some on here are underestimating how bad we have been at home lately

Blaming Rafa for signing Stoke’s 4th choice striker, for £5m. Yes, I’m sure he was really high up on his list FFS :lol:

This place is f***ing bi-polar at the minute. c***s everywhere.

No don’t sign him I argued this a few weeks ago if you sign shit you get shit. He shouldn’t have been 50th choice on anyone’s list never mind ours. And not even giving Mitrovich even a squint of an opportunity is criminal as although he is no world beater my any means he is on a different level to this plank.

Guest Howaythetoon

Rafa out

10 minutes later.

I’m still with you Rafa :lol:

Just fucking pissed off and massively so with Rafa. I don’t want him out of course, but if this is the way it is for the rest of the season we are going down without a whimper and if the future of the club is dependent on us staying up, be it under a new owner or Ashley then he isn’t helping matters with his shit tactics, shit football and piss poor subs.

It is staggering how people choose to ignore that Rafa was given pretty much enough to slap together this dog s*** squad. Most of the players really are that bad.

Rafa truly f***ed up when he didn't go to the ATM to get money for Aguero this summer.

One thing to critique his decisions, but some of you have taken dip s*** to a dizzying level.

Funny how Hughton didn't get Aguero money or a cool 50 million to spend in their promotion season and Brighton are still doing well isn't it.

Rafa is under performing, and I hope he still turns it around but, things just seem to be getting worse rather than better.

They also didn't literally lose 13/14 first team players from the 2015/16 either though. We had about 10 players remaining after all those transfers so had to bring in at least the same number of players to cope with the extra 8 (or 11) league games in the Championship. Brighton's team had been geared for promotion for years and the likes of Dunk would have easily been worth £15m, Knockaert the same (in this market), Dale Stephens £10m or so, whereas the bulk of our signings ranged from £2.5m to £5.5m, bar 2 notable exceptions.

Pretty much all our quality was sold to generate that £90m - £55m was put back in to sign 14 players - an average of £3.9m per player and you just need look at transfers in that league from this season to see that that figure really isn't that much - Assombolonga £15, Neves £16m, Rhodes £10m, Braithwaite £10m etc.

Brighton were at least equal to us last season, if not better as they were 7 clear with 3 games to go once their bottom line of promotion was secured. Make no mistake, if 1 was promoted and the other 4 went in the playoffs rather than 2 automatically, then we wouldn't have won the league, so we were at least equal and for whatever reason, their transfers this season have been better - Ryan has made a big difference, Davy Propper. We had Atsu last year, Joselu and Manq have arguably made us worse, Murphy non existent, so you could argue we are actually even worse than we were last season as only Merino has come in and had a decent impact.

Is location a problem, are we more restricted on wages (really can't see Joselu, Manquillo and Murphy being on more than £100k between them)? But I can guarantee if Rafa had his way, he wouldn't have went to Mike and said 'Mike, whatever you do, please please give me that Joselu lad who can't get a look in at Stoke, he'll make a hell of a difference".

We've had a bunch of top championship / fringe Premier League players bundled together in one window and while we could have coped had 3 or 4 proven players been brought in at £15m-20m apiece to add a bit of quality to a committed but ultimately limited group, but we all know that didn't happen, so I'd argue that we are at a worse level than Brighton now.

People need to realise we are literally operating on a bottom 3 to 4 budget now (far lower than the likes of Everton, Leicester, Palace, West Ham, Watford etc) and if you were born after 1980 or so (which a large chunk of us on here will be) then for the first time in your life this is the first time that has happened - forget the top 6, we are miles behind 75% of the league. 

Fuck off HTT and whoever mentioned Mitrovic.

Rafa deserves criticism and must be questioned more thoroughly in his next press conference, but to say we have  to get rid of him is complete stupidity. 

Put more pressure on Mike fucking Ashley to fuck off!