Rafa Benítez (now unemployed)

Greg

Would you have Rafa back?   

463 members have voted

1. 1. Would you have Rafa back?

• Yes, as manager, immediately
    • Yes, as manager, but at some point in the future (eg if relegated)
    • Yes, in an advisory or DoF role
    • No, not in any meaningful capacity

This poll is closed to new votes

There's 100% logic and agenda behind that '20th Jan' comment btw and it's related to the sale.

I'd say he's been asked to plant that on behalf of PCP to increase pressure on MA towards the end of the window to sell.

They all know that a leopard doesn't change it's spots and Ashley will not overpay on the many players needed. They also know he's got a history of breaking promises. Therefore, the unrest by the third week of Jan, will be palpable.

He struggles with volume.

Well 2oth Jan would be a strangely specific date to give if there wasn't some logic or agenda behind it so I'm thinking you're not wrong.

I will say something that I've said before. When I came here it's because I believe that this cloob can be one of the top teams in the Premier League.

We have to do things right and we have to stay in the Premier League. And we can compete next year with Premier League money. We can compete against anyone apart from maybe the top six, but we have to do well this year, we have to be sure that we stay in the Premier League that's the main thing.

I have confidence that we will do it because the team is working hard, and also I have confidence that we will do something in January that will give a lift to the team, to the fans and everyone. So it's what we have to do, if we do that still I believe that this is a top side that can be at the top of the table in the Premier League.

I will say something that I've said before. When I came here it's because I believe that this cloob can be one of the top teams in the Premier League.

We have to do things right and we have to stay in the Premier League. And we can compete next year with Premier League money. We can compete against anyone apart from maybe the top six, but we have to do well this year, we have to be sure that we stay in the Premier League that's the main thing.

I have confidence that we will do it because the team is working hard, and also I have confidence that we will do something in January that will give a lift to the team, to the fans and everyone. So it's what we have to do, if we do that still I believe that this is a top side that can be top of the table in the Premier League.

:love: :smitten:

I have confidence that we will do it because the team is working hard, and also I have confidence that we will do something in January that will give a lift to the team, to the fans and everyone. So it's what we have to do, if we do that still I believe that this is a top side that can be at the top of the table in the Premier League.

:love:

He knows this takeover’s happening.

He knows this takeover’s happening.

It's probably the only reason he's sticking around IMO, no manager would want to be in this situation and genuinely not know what the budget is, whether he has to sell to buy etc. Remove the prospect of a takeover and it's an absolutely laughable state of affairs once again.

Today's comments - mentioning confidence in Ashley on more than one occasion despite everything that's happened - firmly put the ball back in Ashley's court once again. Allow investment or sell up now, or we're probably going down.

I reckon he's been very economical with the truth today tbh, in that he only doesn't know anything for certain because the club's not officially been sold. That's true. I cannot believe that he's not had indication of the discussions between PCP and Ashley though, even if it's still relying on Ashley to not be a cunt.

Gorillas on the p*ss

Da Lench Mob's lesser known B-side.

Can't wait to meet him

I'm gonna kill him

Cause that little motherfucking Richard got arms like a gorilla

Voodoo, runnin' from my tweetshit

Gorrillas on the p*ss

Is that a Diane Fossey quote?

Getting relegated benefits absolutely no one connected with the club in any way shape or form. Current and prospective owners need to ensure the club does everything it possibly can to make sure we're still a top flight club come May. Ashley stands to lose millions if we go down again, the writing is plainly on the wall, Benitez can see it, Ashley can see it, Staveley can see it. Money needs to be spent asap or everyone's shit goes south. Spending little/nothing fucks everyone's shit up.

I know we heard this in the summer but things have fundamentally changed on and off the park. It's now urgent and big money is at stake and if there's one thing that Ashley is concerned about its cold, hard cash.

It's going to be excruciating if we get a good way into January without making a statement of intent in the transfer market. Needs something lined up as soon as the window opens to give everyone a lift really.

https://www.shieldsgazette.com/sport/football/newcastle-united/rafa-benitez-reveals-details-of-a-phone-conversation-with-newcastle-owner-mike-ashley-1-8924620

Rafa Benitez has spoken to Newcastle United owner Mike Ashley – in an attempt to plot a way forward.

Benitez desperately needs to strengthen his squad in next month’s transfer window.

Newcastle are 18th in the Premier League after losing eight of their last nine games.

And Benitez reiterated the need for new signings ahead of this afternoon’s game against West Ham United at the London Stadium.

United’s manager also gave the same message to Ashley, who put the club up for sale in October and has rejected a bid from Amanda Staveley’s PCP Capital Partners.

“We’ve been in contact talking about how to move forward,” said Benitez.

“We’re progressing, and I have confidence we will do well.

“Exactly as I’m expecting? I don’t know, but I have confidence we can do something that will be important for the team.”

Benitez hadn’t spoken to Ashley since May, when the pair met for talks in the wake of the club’s promotion to the Premier League.

“I’m talking with Lee (Charnley, Newcastle’s managing director) every day,” said Benitez.

“I was also in contact with Mike Ashley. We have phones – it’s very easy to do!”

Asked what they talked about, Benitez added: “We were talking about January – that’s the main thing.

“That we have to do what we have to do to improve the team and be sure we can compete and stay in the Premier League.

‘We are where we are. We have what we have. Hopefully, we will improve and be much better in the second part of the league and compete against teams we can compete against.”

Benitez, however, still doesn’t know exactly how much he will have to spend next month.

And the situation is complicated by the ongoing takeover talks with Staveley, who is prepared to fund January spending if they can reach a deal, which would then have to be ratified by the Premier League.

Asked about the budgetary delay, Benitez said: “It’s a different approach, but we’re moving forward, and hopefully we can do well.”

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/rafa-benitez-reveals-spoken-mike-14074485

“Are we working on names and possibilities? Yes, and I am confident that we can get what we want.

“I have confidence that Mike Ashley will deliver what we need to stay in the Premier League before January 20 to be sure that we have time to work with them [the new players].

“We have seen the consequences of not doing business in the way we wanted to do business in August.

“So it’s obvious when we talk about January how important it is for the city, for every fan, for everyone at the club to stay in the Premier League. We will try to do what we have to do.

“I hope that Mike Ashley is clever enough to understand... What I say is that it’s his team, his business, he wants the best for the team.”

Normally, Benitez’s deals with managing director Lee Charnley on a day-to-day basis and does not enjoy direct contact with Ashley.

However, such is the importance of the January window to Newcastle’s survival hopes, Benitez and Ashley mutually agreed to a conference call so they could speak directly with one another.

Chelsea’s versatile left-sided player Kenedy, Liverpool striker Danny Ings and Leicester City forward Islam Slimani are among Newcastle’s January targets, but Benitez does not yet know whether the Magpies can afford them - even after his discussion with Ashley.

“I am talking with Lee every day. I was also in contact with Mike Ashley,” Benitez continued.

“We have been in contact talking about how to move forward. We are progressing and I have confidence we will do well.

“Exactly as I’m expecting? I don’t know, but I have confidence we can do something that will be important for the team.

“We were talking about January, that is the main thing. That do what we have to do to improve the team and be sure we can compete and stay in the Premier League.

“We have been progressing and talking about names and the way to move forward. I think we are going slowly, trying to do things, but I think we can have some good news in the next couple of weeks [in terms of the exact budget].

“We need players by January 20 because you have to have some time. If you go to January 30 it always very difficult to do business in the last day. You have to do business early and get players as soon as possible.”

:yao:

Those quotes sound eerily similar to the summer (when he knew Ashley was being a dick), and look how that turned out. If the takeover was ready to fund January purchases then I don't see the need for him to say these things. Hope I'm completely wrong like.

Those quotes sound eerily similar to the summer (when he knew Ashley was being a dick), and look how that turned out. If the takeover was ready to fund January purchases then I don't see the need for him to say these things. Hope I'm completely wrong like.

I don't know, that's the first time I can think of that Ashley has discussed transfer requirements directly with Rafa, usually he makes sure his monkey is there as a buffer. There's some room for optimism there I reckon.