Rafa Benítez (now unemployed)

Greg

Would you have Rafa back?   

463 members have voted

1. 1. Would you have Rafa back?

• Yes, as manager, immediately
    • Yes, as manager, but at some point in the future (eg if relegated)
    • Yes, in an advisory or DoF role
    • No, not in any meaningful capacity

This poll is closed to new votes

I do think this guy makes a good point that the days of managers like Benitez having complete control of how the club operates are over. That's not to say I agree with how the club is run, but hard for Benitez to find a club at the highest level where the manager have this control.

https://twitter.com/davidpick1987/status/1119501653315657728

totally misses the f***ing point imo, which is that £55m and "money from player sales" is a massive con as rafa will not get who he wants when he wants them

if rafa turned round and said i'll sign tomorrow if you go and sign player x for £50m, i'll wheel and deal for the rest nothing would happen

I think the length of time it takes us to sign one player is what drives Benitez mad the most especially with a shorter transfer window.

Wasn't it something like two months to get LeJeune even though he had a release clause? :lol:

Those poor journalists. Must be really hard to add new quotes to the same copy and paste article they post weekly. They should just stick to reporting news based off Twitter rumours.

I do think this guy makes a good point that the days of managers like Benitez having complete control of how the club operates are over. That's not to say I agree with how the club is run, but hard for Benitez to find a club at the highest level where the manager have this control.

totally misses the f***ing point imo, which is that £55m and "money from player sales" is a massive con as rafa will not get who he wants when he wants them

if rafa turned round and said i'll sign tomorrow if you go and sign player x for £50m, i'll wheel and deal for the rest nothing would happen

I think the length of time it takes us to sign one player is what drives Benitez mad the most especially with a shorter transfer window.

Wasn't it something like two months to get LeJeune even though he had a release clause? :lol:

He had a release clause of £8 million, but the club wanted to pay in instalments to maximise Benitez's transfer budget whatever the f*** that means. I read yesterday in an article from Lee Ryder that the club felt Benitez wasted resources on the likes of Joselu and Maquillo yet were not prepared to pay £8 million for Lejeune or Tagliofico last summer.

He had a release clause of £8 million, but the club wanted to pay in instalments to maximise Benitez's transfer budget whatever the f*** that means. I read yesterday in an article from Lee Ryder that the club felt Benitez wasted resources on the likes of Joselu and Maquillo yet were not prepared to pay £8 million for Lejeune or Tagliofico last summer.

I reckon they look at deals like Schar or Sissoko and think every transfer should be like that.  For them, £5m for a striker is probably decent, you just have to find a good striker in an incredibly favourable contract situation and bob's your uncle.  Dunno why every club doesn't do that......

Charnley's weapons-grade horseshit about the training ground, is an obvious and public rebuttal of Rafa's demands, almost certainly because he's too cowardly to say it to his face.

Rafa tried his very best, but he is done here........enjoy his last couple of games folks, I'm certainly going to enjoy watching the club implode afterwards. Burn baby burn.

Interesting that Rafa was saying in the past few days he and his coaching staff had a meeting together then specifically talked in detail about what he and his coaching staff are going to be adding to the training ground.

Hopefully the other public comments are just a negotiation tactic :(

aye, rondon had a release clause that we let expire as well :lol:

Ironic that had we payed his £16m release clause in the summer then we could probably sell him for £20m-£25m this summer, and have enough to buy a younger and adequate replacement.

beat these convincingly today, get him on camera and dial up the pressure pls

I agree in principle as I'd love Rafa to call them out publicly because that'd get Ashley's blood boiling. That tactic is counter productive however if Rafa wants a future here. If Rafa speaks out now, the more likely it'll be that Ashley will let his contract run down just to spite him.

Rafa can't win this battle. He either accepts no ambition or leaves.

Rafa doesn't want complete control of the club football wise as I've seen some say (may have misread something so apologises if i have). He wants the training ground improved, and the ability to sign players he wants, not players lower on his list because his first choice is 28 years old.

He seems quite willing to work within a set budget but they want too much say in the age of the players he wants to sign. Yet again their collective brains are in their arses, let Rafa sign who he wants and more money will come in than buying a young player hoping he can be sold on.

They're so thick.

beat these convincingly today, get him on camera and dial up the pressure pls

I agree in principle as I'd love Rafa to call them out publicly because that'd get Ashley's blood boiling. That tactic is counter productive however if Rafa wants a future here. If Rafa speaks out now, the more likely it'll be that Ashley will let his contract run down just to spite him.

Rafa can't win this battle. He either accepts no ambition or leaves.

i think he played the leicester post-game stuff perfectly and could just do more of the same tbh, the closer we get to him leaving the more antsy fans are gonna get (until he's gone of course and they have the summer of then come back like nowt happened)

Rafa doesn't want complete control of the club football wise as I've seen some say (may have misread something so apologises if i have). He wants the training ground improved, and the ability to sign players he wants, not players lower on his list because his first choice is 28 years old.

He seems quite willing to work within a set budget but they want too much say in the age of the players he wants to sign. Yet again their collective brains are in their arses, let Rafa sign who he wants and more money will come in than buying a young player hoping he can be sold on.

They're so thick.

From what I read it seems he wants to know what budget he has to work with and have transfers done quicker which is reasonable, but he wants to spend the money as he sees fit and if that means spending it all on players over 30 years old then he feels his decisions shouldn't be questioned. Ashley is probably the extreme case, but not many owners will give managers that sort of control these days. I do think the club has to compromise though to allow some experienced players be signed and getting Rondon makes sense as he has proven to be quality this season. I agree with a lot of the demands Benitez has asked from the club, but its just not realistic to expect Ashley or even other clubs to give the kind of control he wants from transfers even managers at Man United, Liverpool and Chelsea have to work under directors of football or transfer committees.

They're so thick.

From what I read it seems he wants to know what budget he has to work with and have transfers done quicker which is reasonable, but he wants to spend the money as he sees fit and if that means spending it all on players over 30 years old then he feels his decisions shouldn't be questioned. Ashley is probably the extreme case, but not many owners will give managers that sort of control these days. I do think the club has to compromise though to allow some experienced players be signed and getting Rondon makes sense as he has proven to be quality this season. I agree with a lot of the demands Benitez has asked from the club, but its just not realistic to expect Ashley or even other clubs to give the kind of control he wants from transfers even managers at Man United, Liverpool and Chelsea have to work under directors of football or transfer committees.

I don't mean he controls transfers as in wages, bonuses, appearance fees etc, the way it was a long time ago. In transfers, as you say knowing his budget, just let him spend it how he sees fit and not to fit a narrow ridiculously hands tied under 25s thing.

You need experience in this league and player like Rondon aren't exactly old, the dumb idiots in charge who've still learnt nothing from the failed blueprint they're still sticking to. Honestly it's something to be so thick you still can't see what's under their own nose, but they manage it.

They're so thick.

I do agree with this however much it frustrates us, these days managers don't get to dictate buying policy and I just don't see Ashley compromising at all. It's going to fuck us over big time in the long run, we'll go back to having a team of random bargain parts instead of a well organised squad which understands how to implement a game plan devised by a manager who knows exactly what he wants.

We are going to miss this organisation and team building to a plan when the new manager comes in and has to assemble some sort of cohesion from Ashley's lucky dip signing policy.