Rafa Benítez (now unemployed)

Greg

Would you have Rafa back?   

463 members have voted

1. 1. Would you have Rafa back?

• Yes, as manager, immediately
    • Yes, as manager, but at some point in the future (eg if relegated)
    • Yes, in an advisory or DoF role
    • No, not in any meaningful capacity

This poll is closed to new votes

Matt H.

2h ago

What are your thoughts on Newcastle Utd having their lowest crowds since 2010 since they didn’t keep you? It’s absolutely unheard of for Newcastle crowds to dip to 35,000-37.000.

Just shows how loved you were at Newcastle that a huge number of fans are staying away at protest at the club for not keeping you. My last game was the Fulham away match(Your last game) and I won’t be going back for many years in protest of them not keeping you.

Rafa Benitez

2h ago

Matt[/member] H.  I have continued following Newcastle United and I am sure that there will be a point when they will do well and the fans will support the team. But I also understand the situation and the disappointment now. But I have the desire to see them do well. I wish them all the best, like I did in the past.

Hello Rafa,

Is there one game in your career that you’d like to relive, for the wrong reasons? A defeat that you feel would change the course of your career?

Jordan[/member] M. When I first came to Newcastle, the Sunderland game that was a draw and we lost Mitrovic in the last few minutes, that game could have been crucial. Sunderland and Norwich were close to us so it could have changed everything if we had won.

Staying up that season wouldnt have changed a damn thing, sadly.

Dunno mind; he was supported pretty much as he wanted that summer. If that had been done in the PL, even for just that summer, we'd be miles ahead of where we are now...IMO. Wouldn't have likely sold Sissoko, Wijnaldum and Townsend.

Staying up that season wouldnt have changed a damn thing, sadly.

Dunno mind; he was supported pretty much as he wanted that summer. If that had been done in the PL, even for just that summer, we'd be miles ahead of where we are now...IMO. Wouldn't have likely sold Sissoko, Wijnaldum and Townsend.

Aye, I think it might have been slightly different. Think he’d have been a quality GK, CB to partner Lascelles, midfielder and a striker from a very good team.

Ashley gave Hughton pretty much what he wanted too to get up last time we got relegated, so that he gave Rafa what he wanted to get us up is not an indication of his intent or ambition had we stayed up. It just confirms what we all know, that Ashley needs the club to stay in the Premier League.

• 2 weeks later...

The sheer hypocrisy of the British Media "Pundits" in defending/bigging up British PFM's in comparison to foreign talent is a joke.

This bollocks about 'Bruce has found his system and needs to stick with it now'. FUCK ME BLIND.

1) It's not, never was, nor ever will be HIS system you utter cretins.

2) He'll never be fit to lace Rafa's boots.

3) The same guy you slated for having minimal possession and breaking to 'edge' games is the person responsible for that very win today.

I'm sick to death of the double fucking standards.

Get to fuck all of you. Utter Cretins.

Jobs for the fucking boys.

If we had Rafa this season and whatever players he decided to keep or not (for sake of it, assuming he kept Rondon, sold Perez and replaced him with someone else)....

3 pts v Arsenal

1 pt v Norwich

1 pts v Spurs

3 pts v Watford

0 pt v Liverpool

3 pts v Brighton

0 pt v Leceister

3 pts v Man United

14 pts total. Top 6 right now.

I'm starting to think the personnel available are just not right for Rafa's favoured formation.

There is only one left back, one right back. No real number 10.

With our lopsided squad the only formation that makes sense, is 3 at the back, with 2 wing backs, 3 across the middle, 1 floating and 1 up front.

GK - Dubravka

We have an abundance of centre backs of decent, international quality. Therefore let's play three of them. My choice would be

RCB: Fernandez

CB: Lascelles

LCB: Dummett

Right Wing Back - Yedlin's pace is perfectly suited to the role.

Left Wing Back - Kenedy is also perfectly suited to this role - I don't think he is attacking enough as an out and out left winger nor defensive enough as a decent left back.

Across the middle:

Perhaps Diame, Shelvey and Ritchie. Diame further back, as DM and Ritchie and Shelvey more central - Shelvey as the passer, Ritchie as the one making the runs forward.

Then you would have Muto or Perez in that space in between midfield and up front.

Rondon the big man up front.

I think that literally is the best team we can put out from our first 11.

Schar is the guy who can drop in to defence to replace any one the centrebacks.

The wingbacks don't really have any replacements - perhaps I would retrain Murphy to take the right wing back role as back up.

Ki would be cover for midfield.

Muto/Perez for that role.

Joselu for Rondon's role.

It shows how paper thin the squad is that I couldn't even think of any other outfield players bar Atsu.

Even though we've been horrid every time in that formation - we are bound to be if Dummett is considered a wing-back! This one above could get us through to Xmas I feel.

Wow just realised I posted this at the start of last season. Maybe Rafa read it and was inspired to go to the 3 at the back model that has worked ever since - and is still working?!

You're welcome, guys.

If we had Rafa this season and whatever players he decided to keep or not (for sake of it, assuming he kept Rondon, sold Perez and replaced him with someone else)....

3 pts v Arsenal

1 pt v Norwich

1 pts v Spurs

3 pts v Watford

0 pt v Liverpool

3 pts v Brighton

0 pt v Leceister

3 pts v Man United

I actually  done this  in my head this morning  :lol: only difference was

1pt  arsenal , 3pts spurs, 1pt Leicester... I had us on 15 points lol

3 pts v Arsenal

1 pt v Norwich

1 pts v Spurs

3 pts v Watford

0 pt v Liverpool

3 pts v Brighton

0 pt v Leceister

3 pts v Man United

Agreed.

Imagine giving him this summers budget too. FML.