Newcastle United 2 - 1 Stoke City - 16/09/17 (post match reaction from p21)

Greg

I was watching channel TSN4 (I think it was) and Caldwell was in the studio. I didn't know that it was him at first but he really impressed me. Did a good job. Better at this than football.

I just watched it in Canada and you are right. I couldn’t believe how articulate and listenable he was, remembering how he was as a player.

sky sports:

Newcastle: Elliot (8), Yedlin (8), Clark (7), Lascelles (7), Mbemba (7), Hayden (6), Merino (8), Perez (8), Atsu (7), Ritchie (8), Joselu (5)

Subs: Shelvey (6), Gayle (6), Diame (6)

Stoke City: Butland (6), Martins Indi (7), Zouma (6), Wimmer (6), Diouf (7), Allen (6), Fletcher (6), Pieters (6), Choupo-Moting (6), Shaqiri (7), Jese (6)

Subs: Sobhi (6), Crouch (N/A)

Man of the match: Matt Ritchie

Surprisingly decent although they seem to give absolutely no points for actually scoring goals, in Lascelles and Shaqiri's cases

Guest Howaythetoon

Stoke are a decent team and although we were at home, it's a great result and a seemingly decent performance. Onwards and upwards.

I was watching channel TSN4 (I think it was) and Caldwell was in the studio. I didn't know that it was him at first but he really impressed me. Did a good job. Better at this than football.

I just watched it in Canada and you are right. I couldn’t believe how articulate and listenable he was, remembering how he was as a player.

He's been doing the show for a long time now, he is really good, still loves the toon, he's admitted himself that he's still a fan and you can tell how much more upbeat he is when we've won.

We played some excellent football in the first half like, really neat passing.

A great win, thought we might drop our heads when they equalised but we dug deep and thoroughly deserved that win.

What were the Stoke fans saying on their forum again? :lol: Happy for teams to underestimate us, said it all of last season that the PL below the top 6 or 7 is a bunch of average teams who arevery similar, we are one of them, but we have one of (if not the best) manager out of them.

Not seen the highlights yet, but the refereeing was atrocious on first viewing.

Absolutely delighted with the win! Get in!! Who would have thought, eh? Brighton absolutely there for the taking next week.

No one had a bad game for us today. It's incredible how much Lascelles has improved under Rafa even in the past few weeks since the Spurs match. Him and Clark are :thup: (especially Clark, top drawer). We are definitely better without Manquillo, too.

I was in The Corner today, and I must say I thought the atmosphere was a bit depressing at times in the 1st Half- even at 1-0 nee cunt wanted to sing. But in fairness it got going in the 2nd Half and at times, especially after our second goal, there was some great noise! Seems half our fanbase need something to moan about ie an oppo goal or bad ref decision (plenty of them today, he was doing his absolute best to rob us, the cunt) to make themselves heard. Didn't think the Gallowgate Upper were particularly loud as such, but they got people in The Corner going at times and without a doubt are a very welcome addition to the stadium. Might try and get up with them next time.

Anyway, buzzing after today! SO PROUD :)

Have you seen Mark Hughes’ interview??? ????

No, whose fault was it?

They were the better team, missed the better chances and were only caught out because we play so deep ?

His own teams fans, going by Oatcake, seem to disagree with him, saying we were well deserving of out victory.

Really solid victory today. Rafa is laying the foundations for a very formidable team it seems.

Feel like Elliot should have done a bit better in the goal but he made a couple of great saves.

Clark and Lascelles seem to be a very solid pairing and my lord is it refreshing having a threat from set pieces.

How we managed to get Mikel Merino is beyond me. Just has that class about him. Passing, tackling, closing down and his movement in general, this guy is the real deal. Also was it him that gave Yedlin a right bollocking after giving the ball away late in the game concluding in Diouf's header? Liked that.

Good to see Atsu chipping in with a goal but should have done better when he was through on goal. I'm not sure where we would be without Ritchie and his left foot. Such a vital player for us and a real leader to boot. Man of the match for me.

Ayoze did well in closing down especially in abusing poor Darren Fletcher all day. Good finish for his offside goal but he needs to get more creative and be more of a goal threat. Can't afford having a #10 that isn't pivotal to our attacking play. Joselu had a rough day and seemed too eager to stick it to Mark Hughes. More than ready to give him a chance and see him start in more games but I wasn't impressed at all today. Lacked composure and confidence but at the very least he's getting himself into scoring positions.

Also nice to finally have some competition for spots. Being able to call on the likes of Gayle and Shelvey from the bench is very useful plus we've yet to see something from Murphy and Aarons.

Bring on Brighton!