Newcastle United 2 - 1 Stoke City - 16/09/17 (post match reaction from p21)

Greg

Lawro's prediction table is funny, obviously doesn't like both clubs, has Stoke bottom with zero wins and us third bottom with zero wins. Love these experts, where would we be without them.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/41243874

Your not always Mr positive when it come to us. Would expect you would have predicted us to be around the bottom end.

I was very positive prior to the start of the season, then went completely the other way after Spuds and Huddersfield. If I'm being honest, I'm probably not far off Lawro, I would have predicted us on 3 points right now, I thought we would get draws at Huddersfield and against West Ham and Stoke (perhaps sneaking a victory in one of those two), with losses at Swansea and against Spuds. We are way better than my view. It's a great start.

none of the the highlights (motd/sky/nufc.co.uk) showed that first half incident of our player getting wiped out by an off the ground challenge that went straight through him. was in the right wing position.

may just have seemed worse than it looked from the otherside of the ground but looked a dirty challenge at the time.

none of the the highlights (motd/sky/nufc.co.uk) showed that first half incident of our player getting wiped out by an off the ground challenge that went straight through him. was in the right wing position.

may just have seemed worse than it looked from the otherside of the ground but looked a dirty challenge at the time.

Aye. Was Wimmer on Yedlin. Looked nasty from my seat as well.

Our set pieces have been superb this season in general, especially corners. Nearly all of them seem to at least land in dangerous position.

Ah, for the days of loading it up to Big Mike at the back post...

Agreed. We look so much better now. We carry a threat.

On their talent, i have said this before but a lot of them are nowhere near as talented as perceived. Just because they have a bunch of young talents which failed to become anything doesn't mean they have a super talented team.

I don't feel like any of them are well beyond Stoke, even Shaqiri has done fuck all with his career since joining Bayern and was an utter failure at Inter. On the flip side because we have players who were not massively hyped as young players doesn't mean they are inherently worse either.

They have some good players and some weaknesses, we just outdid them on the day. Mainly due to having a much better manager probably.

While that's all true, i think the perception is that the gap is bigger than it actually is. Basically ignoring the managers i don't think the gap in talent is as big as people like Hughes would like to believe.

It's the same with West Ham, sure Bilic is doing a shit job i get the feeling people overhype the talent he has at his disposal.

They have one of those awkwardly assembled squad's that usually comes from multiple managers and multiple directors of football in a short space of time and an unhealthy fondness for transfer deadline day, like QPR's last stint in the premier league, West Ham, West Brom or Fulham. Somehow, possibly impressively, Mark Hughes has managed this all on his own.

Well it is a horribly built squad, that i definitely agree with. When you look at us, we have a solid midfield pairing with a solid back 4 behind it, pace and guile on the wings and work rate upfront.

There's a lot of things we lack but we are definitely balanced, something the like of Stoke can't really say.

Stoke just seem to buy a lot of attacking players who have fallen out of favour at a bigger club. Shaqiri, Jese, Bojan, Arnautovic and probably some others too.

They've got loads of players that can play as a striker in Jese, Diouf, Chupo Moting and Berahino yet they're still resorting to Peter Crouch and looked more dangerous when he came on than most of the match

It's actually quite funny tbh, what's the point of buying loads of attacking midfielders if the CMs you buy are utterly garbage. As critical as i am of the likes of Shaqiri, Jese, Bojan etc etc, how stupid can you be to have CMs like Fletcher or Whelan behind them. :lol:

Utterly pointless.

Well it is a horribly built squad, that i definitely agree with. When you look at us, we have a solid midfield pairing with a solid back 4 behind it, pace and guile on the wings and work rate upfront.

There's a lot of things we lack but we are definitely balanced, something the like of Stoke can't really say.

Disagree that they're unbalanced like. They've got a great keeper, a solid back three, Pieters is solid, Johnson would be a better fit at RWB than Diouf mind. A solid enough midfield with a cracking playmaker, they lack a top striker mind.

Easy to forget these beat Arsenal, were unlucky not to beat Man U who are trouncing everyone at the moment, and should have won at WBA who are giving bugger all away before we played them.