Various: Mike Ashley in talks with Sheikh Khaled bin Zayed Al Nehayan

Kaizero
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Am I the only one that thinks PCP are taking the piss a bit with the relegation clause?

I don't think they are.

Mike Ashley is selling a football club that has an average squad of players by Premier League standards. That's all because of his lack of proper investment. I think it's fair for them to use that as a negotiating tool.

Agreed. You have to ask what went into the CIM in terms of bigging us up. Pretty sure it would've said something like 'An ever present in the Premier League, two seasons aside, since it's inception' blah blah blah.

She's basically called him on it. If they're so strong then let's share the risk.

Not unusual at all.

what's being said right now on SSN? Can't properly hear it. In a crowded place.

basic gist of it is he thinks 300m is undervaluing the club (380m is what he thinks) and the potential relegation clauses are very unusual and thinks it unlikely that Ashley would accept them, both smart business people and nufc great prospect to buy

Funny how he's finally going on like we're of value now he wants to sell us.  After years of carrying on like we weren't.

According to the guardian if a bid is accepted at this point it'd still be a month before the purchase will go through, that leaves little margin for error to get funds ready for january window. Accepting that is true I am not sure january investment is that likely.

According to the guardian if a bid is accepted at this point it'd still be a month before the purchase will go through, that leaves little margin for error to get funds ready for january window. Accepting that is true I am not sure january investment is that likely.

I thought Rafa's pre-match comments about the window were quite interesting. He basically played down the possible spend of the new owner, in the event that deal happened.

I think he's very very aware of what's happening and probably has had contact with AS directly.

Has he done that to keep the expectations of other clubs down in terms of fees? Has he done it manage our expectations? OR do they not actually have that much money to spend at all?

Anyone's guess but he knows something....

Still plenty of time to purchase players before the window closes. Not buying that at all as an excuse.

Maybe that's what the relegation clause is about? If the process of completing the deal takes that long then maybe they're thinking it might be concluded late into the January window leaving them little time to get players in?

Still plenty of time to purchase players before the window closes. Not buying that at all as an excuse.

The bid hasn't been accepted yet though.

I thought Rafa's pre-match comments about the window were quite interesting. He basically played down the possible spend of the new owner, in the event that deal happened.

I think he's very very aware of what's happening and probably has had contact with AS directly.

Has he done that to keep the expectations of other clubs down in terms of fees? Has he done it manage our expectations? OR do they not actually have that much money to spend at all?

Anyone's guess but he knows something....

I think its a bit of the first two.... but I'm not expecting a sudden huge outlay if/when a takeover happens either.

I think the crucial thing this takeover may give Rafa, is true full control over the players he wants to bring in.

Its been said that he had personal conversations with Abraham, then the club didn't follow up sufficiently and do the deal. Rafa has also allegedly wanted to try and bring Reina in since he came here, but the club were probably reluctant to spend £5m+ on an ageing keeper.

Hopefully what this new ownership will give Rafa is the confidence he has the backing of the club and ability to go out and get the players he wants - not even for crazy fees, or marquee signings - but players that he feels will improve the team, and that he trusts.

He clearly didn't get that sort of full backing from Ashley and Charnley in the summer, and he probably feels only a change in ownership will do that.

Lets hope it happens.

Think 1 reason that Rafa is still sticking around is he's got his targets ready for January and has all his plans laid out. If he doesn't get to achieve them by end of January or even before that if he knows its not going to happen, he'll be off.

The bid hasn't been accepted yet though.

If it's not accepted before late December then the club should be taken off the market, as we'll be effectively down. We need investment that is clear, even with Rafa in charge, and there would be no chance of that happening while in the midst of a takeover. We are more than a month away from that point, it's not time to panic yet.

Am I the only one that thinks PCP are taking the piss a bit with the relegation clause?

They’d have a full transfer window and half a season to avoid relegation, when we’re currently 11th. I could understand it if this deal was being completed in February or March, but it seems a bit cheeky imo.

I know we’re in this situation due to MA’s own failings, but we’re doing okay at present and PCP should be able to do enough in their time to ensure that relegation isn’t a probability.

They’ll probably drop the clause and were just trying their luck but I can understand why MA is unimpressed with it.

Absolutely not, we might be uncomfortably close to the relegation spots by the time January comes round, and there's no guarantee the players needed to turn it round will be available then.

Anyway, if Ashley thinks there's no chance of us getting relegated then he should have no problem with the clause.

It's actually an incredibly shrewd clause to force Ashley to make a decision quickly and face reality - his lack of investment over these years, esp the past few transfer windows can come back to bite him again if he doesn't get a deal done.

Am I the only one that thinks PCP are taking the p*ss a bit with the relegation clause?

They’d have a full transfer window and half a season to avoid relegation, when we’re currently 11th. I could understand it if this deal was being completed in February or March, but it seems a bit cheeky imo.

I know we’re in this situation due to MA’s own failings, but we’re doing okay at present and PCP should be able to do enough in their time to ensure that relegation isn’t a probability.

They’ll probably drop the clause and were just trying their luck but I can understand why MA is unimpressed with it.

Absolutely not, we might be uncomfortably close to the relegation spots by the time January comes round, and there's no guarantee the players needed to turn it round will be available then.

Anyway, if Ashley thinks there's no chance of us getting relegated then he should have no problem with the clause.

I don't think they're taking the piss either.

We've dropped points on the back of Ashley choosing to back Rafa with peanuts, namely upfront (Joselu). Sketchy looking run of fixtures prior to Jan 1st, and it's biting us on the arse now. Understandable that PCP/Staveley are playing hardball.

Staveley wants a relegation clause. Substantial amount refunded should we go down. This all sound ridiculous now.

Like buying a house not paying for a thorough survey finding your roof is f***ed then claiming you want half your money back, get real.

You buy something in the knowledge it is a club that has just been promoted and there is a risk, fund the f***ing thing! Are we now going to end up with the female equivalent of Ashley?

This post misses the point by a good light year.

It's actually an incredibly shrewd clause to force Ashley to make a decision quickly and face reality - his lack of investment over these years, esp the past few transfer windows can come back to bite him again if he doesn't get a deal done.

Push him into a corner and he'll react negatively. He's not the kind of bloke to push around in negotations imho.

I think he'd, rightly imo, expect more than £300m.

If it max's out there, he won't deal but positive that he's not rejected it out of hand.