Various: Mike Ashley in talks with Sheikh Khaled bin Zayed Al Nehayan

Kaizero
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

We're understandably all focussing on Christmas or 1st January but if the deals Benitez wants to do are reasonable and the groundwork can be done ahead of the window closing (as reportedly happened in the summer) then even a takeover only happening in the final week of January wouldn't present a massive problem IMO.

The bigger issue is that the less time they have to influence the rest of the season and therefore our chances of survival through transfer activity, the more risky an investment it becomes and that only pushes the valuation down. Our current form is a big problem in more ways than one.

Wonder which day we can officially start to cotton on that nowt is happening and Ashley gets away with another transfer window?

Hopefully it's not February 1st.

This seems an awfully elaborate ruse in order to escape spending in another transfer window if I'm honest, especially considering he went on TV and plainly said he'll do what he wants anyway.

Wonder which day we can officially start to cotton on that nowt is happening and Ashley gets away with another transfer window?

No agreement in principle by Christmas I think we can whistle it. No inside knowledge, just that it makes sense they'll wait to see if we're still in the Prem before pursuing interest in the summer.

We're understandably all focussing on Christmas or 1st January but if the deals Benitez wants to do are reasonable and the groundwork can be done ahead of the window closing (as reportedly happened in the summer) then even a takeover only happening in the final week of January wouldn't present a massive problem IMO.

The bigger issue is that the less time they have to influence the rest of the season and therefore our chances of survival through transfer activity, the more risky an investment it becomes and that only pushes the valuation down. Our current form is a big problem in more ways than one.

Hard to see what difference any deals sanctioned by Ashley could make, assuming his budget is going to be around £15m  which is rumoured. Maybe a couple of loan deals if we are talking about strikers, can't see us getting one of those for that sort of fee unless he's 30 or something.

I think the loan market is going to be critical for us this Jan.

Ashley needs to pull that penny pinching knobhead he installed back, and allow Rafa to sort some deals out. If we have to pay big wages temporarily to secure our PL status, so be it.

Players like Shaw, Torres, Ings, Origi, Wilshere etc. would make a massive difference to our first team. Now is not the time to cry about an extra £20-30k a month over a 4 month period, especially with a potential takeover in the offing.

For me that was whatever the date was when the sale was announced.

Ashley needs to pull that penny pinching knobhead he installed back, and allow Rafa to sort some deals out. If we have to pay big wages temporarily to secure our PL status, so be it.

Players like Shaw, Torres, Ings, Origi, Wilshere etc. would make a massive difference to our first team. Now is not the time to cry about an extra £20-30k a month over a 4 month period, especially with a potential takeover in the offing.

I really want our Premiership survival to be in the hands of that bunch of mercenaries, crocks and has beens, like.

The fat twat needs to invest in his asset or suffer the consequences.

I really want our Premiership survival to be in the hands of that bunch of mercenaries, crocks and has beens, like.

The fat t*** needs to invest in his asset or suffer the consequences.

What exactly makes 'that bunch' mercenaries? Seems more than a little harsh since most of them are just professionals who want some first-team action.

What exactly makes 'that bunch' mercenaries? Seems more than a little harsh since most of them are just professionals who want some first-team action.

If any of them, or others, came here short term to do a job that, by definition, makes them mercenaries.

I'm sure we'd all agree that we'd prefer players who are hoping to make a career here, or have some sort of affiliation to the club, to help drag us out of this shit.

If any of them, or others, came here short term to do a job that, by definition, makes them mercenaries.

I'm sure we'd all agree that we'd prefer players who are hoping to make a career here, or have some sort of affiliation to the club, to help drag us out of this s***.

Given that Ashley won't spend a penny if he can avoid it, I refer back to my original point - the loan market could be crucial for us in January. If all loan players are now considered mercenaries fair enough, seems a bit odd though. I'm not sure Merino would take kindly to that label.

We can all cross our fingers and hope for MA to spend £50m on the players we need to retain our PL status but it won't happen. Therefore, we'll probably be looking at bringing in some short term 'mercenaries' to bolster the squad.

I'm sure we'd all agree that we'd prefer players who are hoping to make a career here, or have some sort of affiliation to the club, to help drag us out of this shit.

You mean like Joselu?

You are probably right about the loan market. But if any players want 60k or over it will probably not happen. Sure I read Tammy went to Swansea because he got offered better wages. (Something like; a new deal was signed at Chelsea in July, and Swansea agreed to pay the full amount) Quite clever from Chelsea stick him on 50k a week and dont pay a penny to him in the first year.

Not particularly sure you can label the mercenary tag at most of these players tbh, most of them played for us in the Championship and the rest are young players looking to prove themselves.

All the French lads with Pardew fair enough, but i think it's a bit unfair to consider these lads mercs tbh.

You are probably right about the loan market. But if any players want 60k or over it will probably not happen. Sure I read Tammy went to Swansea because he got offered better wages.

Hopefully, with a takeover on the horizon and it almost certainly being dependent on us still being a Premier League club, Mike will bend a little bit on certain things.

I can't see him releasing more transfer funds but relaxing the wage structure a little bit and allowing Rafa to pay loan fees would definitely help.

We know he's a risk taker but he's not just gambling with our beloved football team this time, he's also gambling with his potential £50m+ profit.

I've seen about 2 episodes of Dream Team on Sky1, but I remember one of them there was this angry Scottish manager chap that the board told he had to lose all the games for some reason, but some of the players revolted and tried to win and got suspended, reminds me us right now :lol: