Various: Mike Ashley in talks with Sheikh Khaled bin Zayed Al Nehayan

Kaizero
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I've searched loads of terms and can't get any ads, weird.

Maybe they're run out of money.

Problem is they rank well in Google's organic results for so many search terms that they'll only use Adwords to fill in the gaps where they don't rank.

You can also set your ads to show on certain days and at certain times of day.

The image results at the top of Google are usually ads as well. I phone an SD ad when i searched for 'Newcastle kit' and 'NUFC kit'. Give that a go.

I couldnt on me phone searching for Chelsea Jersey but did on me iPad. Once I clicked it thought then went back to do it again the AD was removed so it must remember your ip address

I couldnt on me phone searching for Chelsea Jersey but did on me iPad. Once I clicked it thought then went back to do it again the AD was removed so it must remember your ip address

That's the problem with this approach, it relies on lots of people from different IPs clicking once, maybe twice. Otherwise Google's Clickfraud monitor will pick up on it and SD won't be charged beyond the first click

That's the problem with this approach, it relies on lots of people from different IPs clicking once, maybe twice. Otherwise Google's Clickfraud monitor will pick up on it and SD won't be charged beyond the first click

How many is 1 person usually allowed to click before they stop charging SD?

Think a more structured, organised approach with instructions on how to do this (across multiple devices and locations) would go down a storm. VPNs, private browsing, etc.

We can eat up their daily budget, meaning they won’t get any/many genuine leads.

Also worth checking to see if they advertise on Insta, Facebook, etc.

FWIW I did a little test here as I wasn't getting any 'ad' results.

Using Firefox with all my adblockers, script blockers etc enabled I got no ad results connected through Hong Kong

Using Firefox with all my adblockers, script blockers etc enabled I got no ad results connected through UK

Using Edge with nothing installed I got no ad results connected through Hong Kong

Using Edge with nothing installed I finally got the ads connected through UK

So basically, for the forrins, try using a browser with no blocking add-ons installed and a VPN with a UK endpoint and it should work.  'Newcastle Kit' brought up a good result which is nice.

Google Ads have a daily budget set usually, so if it were to max out, it should reset the next day.

It's possible (although unlikely) that Google have detected fraud. I work for a gym chain, and we have a number of club staff who (despite our best efforts) click on our paid ads out of laziness when going to sign people up. We've never had any warnings of click fraud at all, so I think it's unlikely click fraud would have detected on this scale.

Given how Ashley works, I'd imagine we're under quite a lot of scrutiny (being on a public forum). It wouldn't surprise me if Keith Bishop has instructed the ads be disabled until this "blows over".

Alternatively, they could just have stopped them in the North East and continued running them elsewhere. You can put exclusion limits in place to a high degree of accuracy, so it could be blocked in Newcastle, Co. Durham etc quite easily.

Would also explain why you're not getting ad results connected via Hong Kong.

So what we need is a huge warehouse with loads of pc’s that continually change IP address to somehow search for paid Sports direct adds and click on them. Sounds good I have a Commodore 64 in the loft we can use  ;D O0

Aye, be easier just to DDOS attack them. 😂

Google Ads have a daily budget set usually, so if it were to max out, it should reset the next day.

It's possible (although unlikely) that Google have detected fraud. I work for a gym chain, and we have a number of club staff who (despite our best efforts) click on our paid ads out of laziness when going to sign people up. We've never had any warnings of click fraud at all, so I think it's unlikely click fraud would have detected on this scale.

Given how Ashley works, I'd imagine we're under quite a lot of scrutiny (being on a public forum). It wouldn't surprise me if Keith Bishop has instructed the ads be disabled until this "blows over".

Alternatively, they could just have stopped them in the North East and continued running them elsewhere. You can put exclusion limits in place to a high degree of accuracy, so it could be blocked in Newcastle, Co. Durham etc quite easily.

:thup:

Good info, cheers.

Even if he disables ads in the NE it's still something of a victory and beyond that I reckon the Magpie Group has enough far spread members to make this a worthwhile endeavour.

My VPN alone has about 8 UK endpoints plus Ireland and other EU countries so while disabling adwords for the NE might hamper us it won't stop us.  Plus, the other SD shareholders might have some questions about why the company's marketing campaigns are being hindered by the personal affairs of its chairman.

Adwords geo-targeting is done via IP as well and a lot of UK IPs are registered to London regardless of where you live, so it would only filter out those people whose IPs are actually registered to Newcastle/North East. Could explain why some people are seeing the ads and some aren't

Adwords geo-targeting is done via IP as well and a lot of UK IPs are registered to London regardless of where you live, so it would only filter out those people whose IPs are actually registered to Newcastle/North East. Could explain why some people are seeing the ads and some aren't

Having been with Virgin Media in a few properties, it’s obvious that they show up as London most of the time.

Thing is, he only owns 61% of SD so if we can get at them enough and have a material affect on their business and marketing then he'll be getting pressure from the other shareholders too.

As far as i'm concerned this could be the activity that is most likely to be brought up at board level. Web sales/activity will be reported to the board just as the figures from each of his physical tat stores will be - it's the same for all retailers. If we can make a dent in the sales from shutting down one of their major advertising channels + social media then eventually questions will be asked

Seems they're adopting a "carry on regardless" attitude, hoping people get bored.

Personally doing this kind of stuff is the highlight of my working day, and as I'm doing it at work I'm actually getting paid for it. Until the "work" part of my job becomes more fun than abusing Mike Ashley, or the demands of my working day become so great that I don't have time to spend 5 minutes chucking some grief his way, I can't see why I'd even think of stopping. :lol:

Also I've just thought....

If everyone doing this - and there seems to be a lot of us - uses the same hashtag ie #IfRafaGoesWeGo, then it'll become viral at least at a local level each time SD tweet. So by tweeting, provided we hold up our end and use that hashtag when abusing him, SD are effectively publicising the IfRafaGoes movement and making the whole thing viral.

Cheers guys. :lol: