Various: Mike Ashley in talks with Sheikh Khaled bin Zayed Al Nehayan

Kaizero
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

According to the Independent, the funding may be coming from the Far East, not the Middle East, which does not suggest a sugardaddy in the wings. And as we're talking about a managed fund, it's likely that those investors will expect some sort of return on their money.

I think if it wasn't for Ashley's unpopularity, the mood music on here would be quite different.

They won't make a return on their money unless they run us correctly, as we'll be in the Championship missing the sky money.

Either way, I want Ashley gone, full stop.

Genuine question. Which owner of a football club has made any profit on it?

I'd be worried about any potential owners who saw the club as an opportunity to make money. Even with the rise of the TV deals, that's just going to push up the player costs with it. Breaking even or making a very modest profit are medium term goals. There are much better things to invest £300m + into if a good return on the investment is the main reason behind the investment.

Cronky is bang on regarding what a managed fund will want from the ownership. It's the reason they exist and the reason people place money into managed funds.

It could be viewed by a fund manager as something worth taking a risk on, by investing more in it, growing it and selling on at a profit or perhaps just a safe haven to stick 300 million or so knowing they could get it back if needed.

If it is this type of ownership there'll be little emotion involved, no matter how they try to dress it up, we'll just be another part of a portfolio with the objective of increasing their clients' investment, or at very least not making a loss on the deal.

Football business is very complicated.  In short, if you are able to invest wisely, then even if you suffer from losses for several years, the growth of future income due to club progressing can transform into growth of clubs value, and by that time the club could turn into a profitable business for several years.  Thus it is possible for investors to view us as a profitable project and willing to provide funds for Rafa to spend as long as

1. They are willing to take time; and

2. Rafa is here throughout the process

Keith Downie has tweeted that talks are ongoing and both sides are confident an agreement will be reached. One thing he said was that PCP want to add a relegation clause where they will be compensated if it happens this season. Seems a bit strange to me if the takeover happens before January and they haven't bought enough players to stay up then is a bit cheeky to say here Ashley give us some money back man.

Maybe they think the fat lad is dragging his feet stalling for a better offer taking us past January, which would ruin another transfer window. Adding a relegation clause will let him know if he continues to fuck over the club he will pay for it, money is the only thing the fat fucker understands.

Willing to give this time. We haven't had hope for ages and suddenly when there is, I'm not going to give up based on some clueless journalist tweeting as if they know their shit when 24 hours ago, they didn't have a clue what was going on/

Keith Downie has tweeted that talks are ongoing and both sides are confident an agreement will be reached. One thing he said was that PCP want to add a relegation clause where they will be compensated if it happens this season. Seems a bit strange to me if the takeover happens before January and they haven't bought enough players to stay up then is a bit cheeky to say here Ashley give us some money back man.

If we do down after a frustrating January even with money to burn then the seeds would have been sown in the summer's transfer debacle.

Absolutely. You can throw money at a problem in January, but by then momentum can be hard to arrest. It's why our relatively decent start was crucial. A relegation clause wouldn't be necessary if Ashley wasn't the type to gamble on minimal investment in the first place.

I'm on the hope/hype train.  f*** it.

Are we really putting any truck in what Ryder has to say on the matter? His paper is basically one giant clickbait and, if you can even imagine it, he is one of the least informed journos working there.

"So Lee, we've seen latest offer and given that the club has made clear their intention for a quick sale, is the ball firmly in Stavely's court or can we expect further incalcitrant responses from the Ashley camp?"

"Errrr....The Beatles?"

People should be less concerned about an investor looking to make a return. Very few clubs actually make a decent return and those who do are successful on the pitch. The club is changing hands for a serious amount of money and one well beyond the value of the assets of the club. That means they need to make the club more profitable in the long-run to make a return- that won't happen by us scrapping in the relegation zone.

If those investors want to make a really good return for the risk, they would not invest in football at all. There are better investment opportunities out there, but few with the same sort of cachet and profile of owning a PL club. Anyone coming in would be doing so with their eyes open, yes they may wish to protect or somewhat enhance the value of their investment, but would be doing so at a sub-optimal rate in return for the profile.

If this all goes tits up, we have the anticipated lack of transfer activity in January, coupled with a then disgruntled fanbase, Benitez would be likely to want out at the end of the season & worst case scenario a possible relegation. He'll be left with a rapidly devalued asset. Now's the time to sell, take any offer that's ball park £300m and let us all move on!

It depends on the price they offered.  If it is as low as under 200m then obviously they are concerned.

P.s. We really dunno whether 300m is real or what the component is, could be lots of conditional payments.

Friend of a mate who works for catering at the club has informed me that the payments are all based on whether Jonas plays 19 more games for us.

It depends on the price they offered.  If it is as low as under 200m then obviously they are concerned.

P.s. We really dunno whether 300m is real or what the component is, could be lots of conditional payments.

Friend of a mate who works for catering at the club has informed me that the payments are all based on whether Jonas plays 19 more games for us.

He'll make it to 18 until Pardew is reappointed and decides he should just fuck off to Norwich or some other place on loan

Presumably that would only be in the event of the sale not going through before January?

I don't see how they could come in before then, invest in the team and then penalise Ashley for us getting relegated.

Presumably that would only be in the event of the sale not going through before January?

I don't see how they could come in before then, invest in the team and then penalise Ashley for us getting relegated.

Points deduction ?

If Ashley grants the exclusivity clause then surely that means we are virtually there? Given that it stops the chance of a bidding war which must have been Ashley's aim?

Just stop it :lol:

We aren’t allowed nice things

I reckon if Rafa walked with the squad in its present state, the club value would drop by tens of millions. We'd instantly be into a relegation battle.

It makes sense for Ashley to get out now while the Rafa halo is there.

Points deduction ?

Good point! In my excitement I totally forgot about the HMRC thing.