Various: Mike Ashley in talks with Sheikh Khaled bin Zayed Al Nehayan

Kaizero
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I get it, it's what you and your Dad did, but as if there isn't a million and one other things you can do to bond with your kid.

that's harsh. what if that what your kid wants to do.

i have boys aged 11 and 12 and they are obsessed with the toon, and going home and away. they know all the songs from down the years thanks to all these youtubers.

they know what ashley is doing to this club and they hate his guts but they still want to go - "but it's ok dad, we'll not go today if you don't want to," they said on saturday.

it's fucking heartbreaking.

Your kids want to go, take them.I won't begrudge you for spending time with them. But the reasoning being it's a way on bonding is a cop out imo up there with its afternoon away from the Mrs and day out with the lads.

Guest firetotheworks

While you're here Shadow Puppets[/member] , I asked this when you were making the same points a while back but never got an answer.

Aye, it is. Attack his business interests apart from this one which we must continue to funnel money into unconditionally.

That’s exactly the point. I, along with thousands others, are happy to get at him in every way we can other than stopping going. Why should we allow one man to stop us doing our hobby. Surely he wins. Maybe not financially, but his agenda wins if he makes it unbearable for us to be there.

As long as Rafa is there or there’s something worth supporting I will be there. Happy to boycott a single match, sure, but not give it up.

Surely you can see that you've just invented that bit in bold to vindicate yourself? It makes no sense, why would his agenda be to make it unbearable for you to keep going? His agenda is to make money and you're giving him money, it's really no more complicated than that.

Yeah, I agree in hindsight my point there doesn't make much sense. What I was trying to get across was that giving into my hatred of Ashley and stopping going to the games affects my enjoyment, my kid's enjoyment etc. That feels to me as he has won in some way because his presence has made me stop doing something I love.

I get what you're saying, he's won from your perspective, but not from his own perspective.

he isn't selling the club and he knows although some may not renew (me!) there will be enough renewing to do the job he wants.

Nufc is the advertising firm for sports direct. it is not a football club competing to win.

he isn't selling the club and he knows although some may not renew (me!) there will be enough renewing to do the job he wants.

Nufc is the advertising firm for sports direct. it is not a football club competing to win.

AHKM.

All Hate King Mike for those that don't know.

AHKM.

All Hate King Mike for those that don't know.

Liar  :lol:

Just curious but how many people who have chosen not to go to games (quite rightly) have Sky Sports, BT Sport and Amazon Prime (next season) ?

I have Sky and Amazon Prime, i have for far more reasons to have Sky and Amazon Prime than i do to watch football, i could cancel Sky Sports but i watch far more other games than those that involve us. Do i get rid of Sky Sports so then my kids can't watch F1 or Mrs B when she wants to watch fecking netball. Do i get get rid if Sky Sports so i can't watch NFL, Golf or whatever other sport i like to view. I buy loads of stuff on Amazon Prime, watch TV shows and films, so next season do i get rid of that ?

Are we all not hypocrites if we don't stop having Sky Sports, BT Sport and Amazon Prime (from next season) ? Those companies fund Ashley and the club far more than a fans tickets do.

Bit of a tricky issue if you really want to starve Ashley of money.

Cancelling a sky subscription is in no way equivalent to not going to a game. Ashley has 52,000 'subscribers' a fortnight. Sky has 22.9 million subscribers a year. The vast majority of which have nothing to do with NUFC. It's a pointless comparison.

It's about money is it not ?

The point being that if 10,000 Newcastle fans stop going to a game - the empty seats, the financial impact are directly felt by Mike Ashley. Visually, if nothing else, the impact is felt. If 10,000 NUFC fans stop subscribing to Sky it will barely affect their own bottom line. Once that is diluted through the amounts distributed to football, the amounts distributed to the premier league and amounts eventually reaching the club and Mike Ashley, the effect is non-existent.

I think this is the right perspective. That said, I do subscribe to Sky and BT and there is some guilt about that, but Newcastle are just a small part of Sky/BT's subscription service. Empty seats at football grounds are what has a real impact visually on the perception of a club. Our club has always been about the fans, if they stop going it would have a tremendous impact, and by association on Ashley as well.

That said, if fans are going to continue going, at least they can make their feelings known, and on that score they made their voices heard against the owner loud and clear on Saturday. Well done for that at least.

I don't understand how anyone can pay to go to the matches and willingly put money in MAs pockets, especially if they're not happy with what he's doing with the club. He's mugging you off and laughing in your face - quite literally if you see the TV pictures - and you're paying him for the privilege. Have some self-respect, ffs.

I don't understand how anyone can pay to go to the matches and willingly put money in MAs pockets, especially if they're not happy with what he's doing with the club. He's mugging you off and laughing in your face - quite literally if you see the TV pictures - and you're paying him for the privilege. Have some self-respect, ffs.

This is where I'm at too. It's gone past the point anyone can pretend otherwise now. May as well all hold up white flags next game to let him know he's won  :lol:

Shadow Puppets has given his reasons for still attending games and others have talked about taking the kids. My daughter isn't a kid anymore (23) but we've been going to the games together for the last 20 years. Don't spend much time together as father and daughter now, given her age. Boyfriend has come along etc. She seems disinterested in NUFC but talks me out of giving up our tickets whenever i mention it, and believe me this is the closest i've ever been. While i agree with many of those on here that think a mass drop in attendance is our biggest hope of change, the fact that she still wants to go and spend time with her old man keeps me hanging on...by a thread. I fear it's only a matter of time before i have to say enough is enough and the final straw is just around the corner sadly.

Shadow Puppets has given his reasons for still attending games and others have talked about taking the kids. My daughter isn't a kid anymore (23) but we've been going to the games together for the last 20 years. Don't spend much time together as father and daughter now, given her age. Boyfriend has come along etc. She seems disinterested in NUFC but talks me out of giving up our tickets whenever i mention it, and believe me this is the closest i've ever been. While i agree with many of those on here that think a mass drop in attendance is our biggest hope of change, the fact that she still wants to go and spend time with her old man keeps me hanging on...by a thread. I fear it's only a matter of time before i have to say enough is enough and the final straw is just around the corner sadly.

Devils advocate here..... is there nothing else you could do on a match day?

How much do proper private investigators cost? It's got to be worth clubbing together to try and get some proper dirt on the fat mess.

We don't have to blackmail him with it, just release it to the tabloids to make his life a misery.  Cheaper than a hitman.....

Devils advocate here..... is there nothing else you could do on a match day?

Still lives at home for now but don't see much of her. Not a big drinker and probably wouldn't fancy hanging around pubs with me anyway. Might have a meal out as a family but can do that any other day/night. If NUFC had been in this mess 20 years ago i'd probably have chucked it myself and stuck to trips to the park/soft play etc before she developed an interest. 1st game was Wimbledon away when she was almost 4, after a trip to London Zoo. She was in tears when Shearer scored because the toon fans were so noisy. At the time I did think to myself 'there'll be plenty more tears where they came from, watching this lot.'

1. “Sports direct is all he cares about” - as evidenced by protests, it’s not.

2. I want to bond with my son - like there aren’t a thousand other things that could be done

Wish people would consider that, collectively we could have more power to change a situation where all our kids might have an actual fucking football club to support in future, rather than putting their own self-interest first.

This, especially the second point.

I'd love to take my kids to the football (taken the eldest twice, a pre-season game and also last season against Leicester when a friend lent me their season ticket, youngest has never been) BUT as things stand I have no intention of doing so whilst Ashley remains the owner.

It's something I'd absolutely love to do because I grew up loving football BUT didn't get to go because my parents didn't care for it, I started going to games (season tickets) when I could afford it myself.

I'm done in terms of going and when Rafa goes in the summer (to be replaced by Sherwood/Allardyce) I'll try and be done with it completely (this part is easier said than done).

Whether boycotts work or not (fwiw I think they do) it's about principles and self respect, why would pay towards the decimation of this club? Why would you pay knowing the owner is taking the absolute piss out of the club? It's akin to paying to watch someone chin your kids.

I hate that it's come to this BUT Sports Direct United is not the club I love so hopefully that will make walking away completely a lot easier.

Guest alijmitchell

2. I want to bond with my son - like there aren’t a thousand other things that could be done

Wish people would consider that, collectively we could have more power to change a situation where all our kids might have an actual fucking football club to support in future, rather than putting their own self-interest first.

And I would wish people would stop getting on their soapbox's and pretending to be a better fan than another just because their opinion differs.

I'm not pretending to be a better fan or a better person. If anything, I'm a pretty shit fan, I've stayed away from games, I rarely watch games on TV. If you took that from my post then that's on you. If I wanted to be a better 'fan' that would probably mean going to every single game etc. etc. No, what I'm saying is, in the long run, if everyone adopts the attitude you have, then there will be no 'club' to speak of. What makes you think that Ashley will go in the next 30/40 years? What damage could de do in that time? What spurious fucking deals would he do to asset strip the club by then? Which fucking vultures will he have keyed in on deals by then?

What we essentially have as a club is a huge fucking sports direct store. People think of the fans as customers, but they're not. They're actually the equivalent of staff, paying for the privilege to be working there, grateful for a fucking job, fearing that someone else will come in and take it. The only ways to get rid of this cunt is to collectivise and make a stand, or hope and pray that some 'nice' businessman will buy us off him and wipe the slate clean.

And if you're happy with that, then fine, but he won't be leaving as long as you turn up and hand over your cash.

And I would wish people would stop getting on their soapbox's and pretending to be a better fan than another just because their opinion differs.

I'm not pretending to be a better fan or a better person. If anything, I'm a pretty shit fan, I've stayed away from games, I rarely watch games on TV. If you took that from my post then that's on you. If I wanted to be a better 'fan' that would probably mean going to every single game etc. etc. No, what I'm saying is, in the long run, if everyone adopts the attitude you have, then there will be no 'club' to speak of. What makes you think that Ashley will go in the next 30/40 years? What damage could de do in that time? What spurious fucking deals would he do to asset strip the club by then? Which fucking vultures will he have keyed in on deals by then?

What we essentially have as a club is a huge fucking sports direct store. People think of the fans as customers, but they're not. They're actually the equivalent of staff, paying for the privilege to be working there, grateful for a fucking job, fearing that someone else will come in and take it. The only ways to get rid of this cunt is to collectivise and make a stand, or hope and pray that some 'nice' businessman will buy us off him and wipe the slate clean.

And if you're happy with that, then fine, but he won't be leaving as long as you turn up and hand over your cash.

Maybe it’s the tone some posters use, you start off with a decent argument then throw in loads of effing, Ive noticed a lot of negativity towards posters who choose to still go lately and you should try and respect their views, they aren’t the real enemy, some just can’t stop the habit.i get what you are saying but in truth too many just roll up and can’t see sense  , however it’s their choice , lower the tone ?

People are obviously going to be pissed off that fans are choosing not to do the one thing available to them to affect the ownership. That's reflected in the posts.

You CAN NOT get enough to do it to have any effect, there’s a lot of posters with very strong views, quite rightly in my opinion but of late a few posters are being round on a wee bit just cos they choose to go, in truth we are in the minority with our views about staying away.

I’m very much pro not going but I never shove my views down the throat of those who choose to attend mate.

I've said my bit on this. What do you do if your son/daughter wants and enjoys going to the match? They don't know how much of a knob Ashley is and to be honest they probably don't care.

I honestly admire people who boycott games particularly those with season tickets. If Ashley is still here next season I will stop going as will my son. He will be gutted though, he just wants to see Newcastle play football.

Could see our fans doing the same. How much are they in Sports Direct these days?

We’d so do that without realising it  :lol:

I've said my bit on this. What do you do if your son/daughter wants and enjoys going to the match? They don't know how much of a knob Ashley is and to be honest they probably don't care.

I honestly admire people who boycott games particularly those with season tickets. If Ashley is still here next season I will stop going as will my son. He will be gutted though, he just wants to see Newcastle play football.

When I was growing up just being around the ground was amazing, being in there was a dream.

Kids don’t wanna know politics mate, they just want to be in the ground, part of it, dads find it hard to deny them.

Remember that feeling ??