Newcastle United 0-1 Manchester City - 27/12/17 - Post-match reaction from pg.26

Kaizero

Respected them too much tonight when they clearly weren't at their best

:lol:

So them not being at their best had nothing to do with us?

They had 1-2 clear goal scoring chances (hit post etc) even before their goal, had they been as clinical as they usually are then that wouldn't really have meant for Rafa's tactics tonight to be of any use.

We really got into the game at some capacity after they scored, when we opened up more you could see that there was a chance we could have potentially got something, highlighting that they weren't at their best today. As opposed to us being completly dismantled if we opened up from the start.

I just think if we were playing as we were after their goal we may have nicked something today.

They had 1-2 goal scoring chances even before their goal, had they been as clinical as they usually are then that wouldn't really have meant for Rafa's tactics tonight to be of any use.

We really got into the game at some capacity after they scored, when we opened up more you could see that there was a chance we could have potentially got something, highlighting that they weren't at their best today. As opposed to us being completly dismantled if we opened up from the start.

To be fair they needed a brilliant goal line clearance to keep that 0-1 lead. Ifs, buts and maybes all over the shop.

They had 1-2 goal scoring chances even before their goal, had they been as clinical as they usually are then that wouldn't really have meant for Rafa's tactics tonight to be of any use.

To be fair they need a brilliant goal line clearance to keep that 0-1 lead. Ifs, buts and maybes all over the shop.

I'm not saying we didn't play well, I just think in hindsight we should have not been so conservative tonight from the off given how things turned out to be after their goal.

To be fair they need a brilliant goal line clearance to keep that 0-1 lead. Ifs, buts and maybes all over the shop.

I'm not saying we didn't play well, I just think in hindsight we should have not been so conservative tonight from the off given how things turned out to be after their goal.

Aye i understand, hindsight is a wonderful thing like. I don't want to see us play this way but i guess the ends (only losing 0-1) justified the means.

Aye i understand, hindsight is a wonderful thing like. I don't want to see us play this way but i guess the ends (only losing 0-1) justified the means.

It was the only way. We could have nicked something. We defended very well. If we set up like that every game we wouldn't lose many. If we had a quality striker we would do well.

Happy with that performance, I’ve watched a few City games this season and we were in the game far longer than any of the other sides I’ve seen. We could have even nicked it. Lascelles returning has evidently galvanised the group, and I though Mikky Merino looked brilliant after coming on. Our players will have their heads held high going into the Brighton match, and for me that’s a result in itself. HWTL!

Merino and Atsu were very good when they came on.

They looked a different class to the rest of our players tonight. Merino's ability to actually hold the ball was a joy after watching the rest doing their best to give it away for 90 mins.

It was the only way. We could have nicked something. We defended very well. If we set up like that every game we wouldn't lose many. If we had a quality striker we would do well.

Aye, with our squad and the run of fixtures to come, Brighton very soon so players left out, i can see the reasoning myself.

Just back in, IMO I can totally understand and agree with Rafa's tactics. Even 1-0 down we could of still nicked an equaliser. A lot of fans were desperate for us to press and have a go at City. Thing is some of the best teams in the league have tried and failed doing that...

Guest firetotheworks

Sorry but this is embarrassing, I get they are a great team and we are a s*** team, but for 35 or so minutes it was like we weren’t even on the pitch. At least have a go, I’d rather lose 10-0 trying than 3 or 4 not trying. It’s awful stuff. They have a responsibility to all those paying to have a go and at least compete. This is not a way I want to see us play again ever, it goes against the whole meaning of playing a game of football and certainly against my own ideals. It stinks and I’m not buying it just because there is this gulf in class. Oh what have we become!

f*** off would you rather us lose 10-0 trying. That could send us down.

Fuck off, I would, because to me playing football is about competing. I can accept any loss by any margin if we try, but we have not tried at all. It was embarrassing, a non league side wouldn’t sit 11 men behind the ball and literally have a handful of touches on the ball. We are Newcastle United at home and we should never ever play this way regardless of who we are playing or how shit we are. They are a great team, but they are not 11 tucking superman’s. We are basically forefeiting the game and that’s not on. And before anyone starts I accept how great they are, how shit they are and there is no one as big a fan of Rafa as me, but I will never accept this. This isn’t football, this is fucking surrender. What was the flag the other week, Newcastle United will never be defeated? Ha, fucking mockery of that particular banner.

Areet, stereotypical Newcastle fan. [emoji38]