Newcastle United 0-1 Manchester City - 27/12/17 - Post-match reaction from pg.26

Kaizero

Disappointed to see we left it so late to apply some pressure. So - a gallant defeat and not the pasting many of us feared. I think though this is a great example of the gulf that has been allowed to occur on PL football, which for our part - Ashley has milked as an excuse (inorder not to compete) Teams outside if the top 5/6 exist merely as cannon fodder now and the clubs themselves accept that. Sky money has killed our game as a spectacle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:snod:

And the gameplan was spot on.

The gameplan was fine, it was just executed terribly for the first half an hour

It was 0-0 at the half hour mark, so it did.

It didn't. The way we were playing was never going to work for the whole game. Sitting back is fine but you have to give yourself some break by keeping it for at least a few seconds when you get it. Afterwards we defended the same way but actually tried to do something when we had the ball

Well we would have adapted our game plan as the match went on as we did, so that's a moot point.

We did because we conceded a goal, because we kept giving them the ball back instead of trying to upset their rhythm

No complaints. Went in with every chance of getting slaughtered, came out with -1 on the goal difference and proof that if our players put their mind to it, they can defend. Think that's the most frustrating thing about this match; if our defence could focus like that in a game where we attack a bit more, we wouldn't have conceded half as many of the goals we have.

First match in twelve that Man City haven't scored two or more.

Rafa's an embarrassment. Good thing you can change up the lyrics of the 'fat Cockney b******' song for 'fat Spanish waiter'. Get it started lads. He deserves it. Then we can get Bilic or Clement in and play proper football. :thup:

What a f***ing s*** post, no one had said Rafa is an embarrsement or even mentioned Bilic you cretin. KI now this is an embarrassing post. Crawl back under your stone worm.

HTT getting proper excited tonight like.

It would help matters more if people could read and understand context and points made. Me - unacceptable and embarrassing first 35. Ooh, must want the fat Spanish waiter out for Bilic or Clement. Can’t be arsed, I stand my my observation of the first 35 and I do t want to see us ‘play’ like that again. Second half much better so well done the lads and Rafa, I still love the fucker.

Nowt wrong with that HTT, probably the i would rather lose 10-0 that turned it a bit eww.

I think the gameplan was to defend for our lives and then be a bit more adventurous in the last 15 minutes. 'Fortunately,'  we were organised and combative enough to be within one goal after 75 minutes. Then some sharper centre-forward play nicks us a point; but that's where money comes in. Ultimately the manager and players deserve credit for running City as close as anyone else has this season.

No complaints. Went in with every chance of getting slaughtered, came out with -1 on the goal difference and proof that if our players put their mind to it, they can defend. Think that's the most frustrating thing about this match; if our defence could focus like that in a game where we attack a bit more, we wouldn't have conceded half as many of the goals we have.

Rafa's an embarrassment. Good thing you can change up the lyrics of the 'fat Cockney b******' song for 'fat Spanish waiter'. Get it started lads. He deserves it. Then we can get Bilic or Clement in and play proper football. :thup:

What a f***ing s*** post, no one had said Rafa is an embarrsement or even mentioned Bilic you cretin. KI now this is an embarrassing post. Crawl back under your stone worm.

It would help matters more if people could read and understand context and points made. Me - unacceptable and embarrassing first 35. Ooh, must want the fat Spanish waiter out for Bilic or Clement. Can’t be arsed, I stand my my observation of the first 35 and I do t want to see us ‘play’ like that again. Second half much better so well done the lads and Rafa, I still love the fucker.

Sadly, most of us understood your context. You continuing to go on with a fairly bad point is bizarre.

Sky absolutely falling all over themselves to get Murphy banned ffs.

Especially after MOTD’s pathetic analysis of the Bournemouth challenges yesterday.

It was a bad tackle, but no malice intended IMO.

But the ref and linesman clearly saw it and a foul was given, so it can't even be changed can it?

I think that rule has changed, i'm pretty sure the ref can have another look now if it was bad enough. Not that bad a challenge imo for that to happen.

wouldn't be surprised if it was changed, right on the border of yellow and red for me

On the border might help like, it wasn't an all out nasty two footer type. Just can't see it getting looked at again imo.

I think the gameplan was to defend for our lives and then be a bit more adventurous in the last 15 minutes. 'Fortunately,'  we were organised and combative enough to be within one goal after 75 minutes. Then some sharper centre-forward play nicks us a point; but that's where money comes in. Ultimately the manager and players deserve credit for running City as close as anyone else has this season.

:thup:

Gayle dive was worthless, close with his header but damn if that fell to Merino man...

Guest Howaythetoon

It would help matters more if people could read and understand context and points made. Me - unacceptable and embarrassing first 35. Ooh, must want the fat Spanish waiter out for Bilic or Clement. Can’t be arsed, I stand my my observation of the first 35 and I do t want to see us ‘play’ like that again. Second half much better so well done the lads and Rafa, I still love the f***er.

Nowt wrong with that HTT, probably the i would rather lose 10-0 that turned it a bit eww.

It was an expression, perhaps I should of said 5 instead, point remained though. I don’t think that first 35 gave us the platform for the rest of the match btw because on another day we would be looking at a 3-0 half time deficit and then god knows what. Ultimately if you keep playing like that it will only lead to disaster as we saw under Pardew. I did say, however, under Rafa this isn’t the norm and thankfully so or I’d be wanting him out and I love the fucker. Again may we ne er play like that again so hurry the fuck up takeover.

Could easily have been down 3 or 4 down at the half. Very risky gameplan.

Second half much better, especially once Merino and Atsu came on. Thought Rafa's plan might work during the last 15 minutes, and that the crowd was terrific.

NBCSN just had the passing stats, and we had 220-some (after only 86 at half time), while Citeh had 860-some.  :scared:

Happy with that performance, I’ve watched a few City games this season and we were in the game far longer than any of the other sides I’ve seen. We could have even nicked it. Lascelles returning has evidently galvanised the group, and I though Mikky Merino looked brilliant after coming on. Our players will have their heads held high going into the Brighton match, and for me that’s a result in itself. HWTL!

Merino and Atsu were very good when they came on.

It would help matters more if people could read and understand context and points made. Me - unacceptable and embarrassing first 35. Ooh, must want the fat Spanish waiter out for Bilic or Clement. Can’t be arsed, I stand my my observation of the first 35 and I do t want to see us ‘play’ like that again. Second half much better so well done the lads and Rafa, I still love the f***er.

It was an expression, perhaps I should of said 5 instead, point remained though. I don’t think that first 35 gave us the platform for the rest of the match btw because on another day we would be looking at a 3-0 half time deficit and then god knows what. Ultimately if you keep playing like that it will only lead to disaster as we saw under Pardew. I did say, however, under Rafa this isn’t the norm and thankfully so or I’d be wanting him out and I love the fucker. Again may we ne er play like that again so hurry the fuck up takeover.

We will probably only play like this again once more this season, in a couple of weeks actually. And you're right, i wish the sale would go through asap, it's driving me mental waiting.

1st half i thought we were shocking.  Defensive tactics are fine against a top side but you need every single player switched onto the plan, quite a few of them weren't and we could've been 3 or 4 down.  2nd half we were much better and Pep actually payed us some respect by keeping 3 or 4 players behind the ball most of the time, he didn't want to lose a goal and ignite the game for us.  In the end we had a couple of chances to rob something, i was fuming with Gayle for taking a tumble instead of shooting, you're a striker FFS take a shot man!  And the header was a bit unlucky.

Positives

- Not getting humiliated against a brilliant side

- Merino looked good when he came on.

- No (obvious) injuries ahead of the Brighton game.

Wont mention any negatives cos the main 1 is zero points from this one.

Happy with that performance, I’ve watched a few City games this season and we were in the game far longer than any of the other sides I’ve seen. We could have even nicked it. Lascelles returning has evidently galvanised the group, and I though Mikky Merino looked brilliant after coming on. Our players will have their heads held high going into the Brighton match, and for me that’s a result in itself. HWTL!

Merino and Atsu were very good when they came on.

Yeah Atsu done some good things too, think it was from his skill & cross that Gayle had his headed chance from. Man, if he left that for the on-rushing Merino we could have been celebrating a massive point here.

:lol: Argh! We were 1-0 down. It was one. There's no 'could've'. We played X tactic and that was the result.

I'm not saying it didn't work out OK, just that it was hardly skillful execution on our part that got us to the half one down. Thankfully we had the Most Valuable Post playing as a sweeper. It was a risky approach (not that there was a better one available to Rafa) and we were fortunate. Second half was close to enjoyable-ish.