Martin Dúbravka

Figures 1-0 Football

10 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

I definitely wanted a new keeper. Not the top priority but pretty important. 

Probably would have agreed up until January but to only concede more than 1 in a game against Spurs & Man City is impressive. Defence got all the praise but he was equally a part of it.

Pope would definitely have been privately told that’s he’s starting first choice or he wouldn’t have signed with the impending World Cup!

I love Dubs so would be sad to see him go but he should be playing week in, week out to be fair!

Can't think of too many sides outside of the top 6 or 7 teams with a better starting goalkeeper than Dubravka, to be honest. At least a top 10 level goalkeeper I would say, and his form in the second half of last season would certainly back that up. 

Edited by Barnes23

Gillespie has had offers from Scotland but has been told he will be the third choice this season so club have rejected, so fully expect one of Dubs/Darlow will leave. Not overly surprising of course.

I was more than happy with Dubravka continuing on as first choice this season, I think hes a great keeper and has been fantastic for us, we certainly miss him when hes injured. I wasnt bothered about signing Pope but for 10mill I can understand as its a good deal. Also I understand if Dubs leaves as once your a number 2 your waiting on an injury or terrible form to get a chance. At 34 he deserves to be a no. 1 somewhere and like somebody else mentioned hes only had 4 seasons at this level, it would be a waste for him to be sat on our bench just for competition rights with Pope.

Edited by Leek

3 hours ago, Barnes23 said:

Can't think of too many sides outside of the top 6 or 7 teams with a better starting goalkeeper than Dubravka, to be honest. At least a top 10 level goalkeeper I would say, and his form in the second half of last season would certainly back that up. 

Plenty on here claim he’s the worst keeper in the league.

5 hours ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Probably would have agreed up until January but to only concede more than 1 in a game against Spurs & Man City is impressive. Defence got all the praise but he was equally a part of it.

Don’t agree - I think pope will have been told he fights for his place just like everybody else does.

26 minutes ago, Shearergol said:

Plenty on here claim he’s the worst keeper in the league.

Plenty on here claim every player we had under the old regime were the worst in the league now we have a bit of money.

1 minute ago, Gawalls said:

Don’t agree - I think pope will have been told he fights for his place just like everybody else does.

He'd have joined someone else if he wasn't guaranteed first team football especially with this likely being his one shot at making a World Cup.

29 minutes ago, Ronaldo said:

I’d certainly rather Ryan Fraser start than us keep Dubravka in over Pope.

What a stupid statement - in 2022 we kept 7 clean sheets and there were only 2 games where we conceded more than one goal and you haven’t even seen pope play for us yet.

My god back seat experts on here drive me mad.

3 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

He'd have joined someone else if he wasn't guaranteed first team football especially with this likely being his one shot at making a World Cup.

Eddie Howe has always said - even in his Bournemouth days that everybody has a fair chance to play and I can see any reason that would change now

If we could only have had either a new winger and Dubravka, or Pope and Fraser, I'd definitely have sooner had Dubravka plus new winger. Think it's 99% certain we're going to end up with Pope and a quality winger so all is great though.

Edited by Optimistic Nut

8 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

If we could only have had either a new winger and Dubravka, or Pope and Fraser, I'd definitely have sooner had Dubravka plus new winger. Think it's 99% certain we're going to end up with Pope and a quality winger so all is great though.

We do need a right winger and forward though - that could be quite a few league positions difference  next season.

Edited by Gawalls

8 hours ago, WillingtonMag said:

How? He's one of the best keepers in the league Dubravka is overrated on here was piss poor at times last season.

I actually think Dubravka is really underrated on here tbh. :lol: It's an obvious waste because having Dubravka as your number 2 is a very good position to be in. Bringing in Pope yet still having Darlow as your number 2 is a moderate gain at number 1 and the same poor number 2.

How can it be an 'obvious waste' to get a keeper who is a) obviously considered an upgrade by Howe and b) 4 years younger? And for what is essentially a nominal fee in the modern era? Sounds like the exact opposite of a waste of resources.

I think people will be surprised by the complete lack of interest in Dubravka from other Premier League teams. 

30 minutes ago, Gawalls said:

What a stupid statement - in 2022 we kept 7 clean sheets and there were only 2 games where we conceded more than one goal and you haven’t even seen pope play for us yet.

My god back seat experts on here drive me mad.

I know Dubravka had his fanboys and more power to you, but I’ve also seen 4 years of Dubravka here and plenty of Pope and it’s a big upgrade. Keeper’s an important position and you need consistency back there.

Pope could be our keeper for 4 years or so and Dubravka has clearly been on the slide for a while. It’s obviously a good thing to build a foundation from that we can rely on while we improve the rest of the side going forward. 

2 hours ago, Ronaldo said:

I know Dubravka had his fanboys and more power to you, but I’ve also seen 4 years of Dubravka here and plenty of Pope and it’s a big upgrade. Keeper’s an important position and you need consistency back there.

Pope could be our keeper for 4 years or so and Dubravka has clearly been on the slide for a while. It’s obviously a good thing to build a foundation from that we can rely on while we improve the rest of the side going forward. 

I just hate how it now seems to be trendy to lay into our old squad now we’re buying new players and it gets my back up so my apologies if you’re not but I know there’sa lot of it going around.

Our old squad must have been so demoralised under Bruce then when we get bought and Howe comes in most must have known they’re going to go at some point but they all pulled together and didn’t just keep us up they absolutely pissed it.

8 hours ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Aye, after the season ended it was always LB, CB, winger then midfielder for me. I'd have taken Dubvravka for another season as number 1 but if we were in a position to get someone like Pope it was a no-brainer, particularly at the price we paid.

Well yeah, I don't think a new keeper was top of our wanted list, but when the opportunity to buy Pope came up for £10m, it was a great chance to upgrade our first 11 without spending a ton of money. I don't think Dubravka has done a lot wrong at Newcastle, he's generally commanding in his area and he's a keeper who comes out and claims the crosses which I like. He's made the odd gaffe, but that happens to all keepers.

Anyway he's 34 now so we would have needed to bring in a younger keeper in the next year or two regardless.

I’d say he waited to have at least a few training sessions to assess what he’d be up against and now clearly doesn’t fancy the fight. That should tell you everything about what we’ve just signed.

3 hours ago, Kid Icarus said:

I actually think Dubravka is really underrated on here tbh. :lol: It's an obvious waste because having Dubravka as your number 2 is a very good position to be in. Bringing in Pope yet still having Darlow as your number 2 is a moderate gain at number 1 and the same poor number 2.

Having Pope as your number 1 puts us in a much stronger position man only a moron would think otherwise, thankfully Eddie agrees  👍 

21 minutes ago, WillingtonMag said:

Having Pope as your number 1 puts us in a much stronger position man only a moron would think otherwise, thankfully Eddie agrees  👍 

Bit of a weird reply tbh mate, but as I say it's not massively about the difference between Dubravka and Pope as number 1s, it's about the huge difference between Dubravka and Darlow as number 2s.

3 hours ago, Bompeter said:

How can it be an 'obvious waste' to get a keeper who is a) obviously considered an upgrade by Howe and b) 4 years younger? And for what is essentially a nominal fee in the modern era? Sounds like the exact opposite of a waste of resources.

I think people will be surprised by the complete lack of interest in Dubravka from other Premier League teams. 

Because having Dubravka as your number 2 is excellent because the gap in quality from him to Pope isn't huge, unlike the gap from Pope to Darlow.

If you look at our starting eleven, pre-Pope, our strongest side was probably:

Dubravka, Trippier, Schar, Burn, Targett, Shelvey, Bruno Joelinton, Fraser, Wilson, ASM.

Ignoring that there was little depth at CB and ST. The obvious weaknesses are Shelvey and Fraser, then after those two I'd say Dubravka.