Martin Dúbravka

Figures 1-0 Football

3 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

Those stats are probably misleading given thry include dusty Steve's spell. We're much better at limiting goal scoring opportunities these days.

He was injured at the start of the season, and we had Woodman and Darlow until Howe came in.

3 minutes ago, 54 said:

He was injured at the start of the season, and we had Woodman and Darlow until Howe came in.

Good point. It wasn't a dig at Dubravka, he's fine. The graph isn't reflective of recent performances though.

On 17/04/2022 at 21:03, AyeDubbleYoo said:

I think it’s very important to upgrade him. The spine has to be as good as we can possibly make it. 

Even Pope would be good if Burnley relegate. 

Pope is nowhere near better than Dubravka.

I wouldn't take Pope over Dubravka. I do think we need a keeper to make the step up to the top 7 but he's fine for the next season I'd say. 17 games where we've only conceded more than 1 once is some going and on Saturday he was the key reason for that.

Whilst I do agree Dubravka would likely be fine for another season, the main reason Howe will likely be looking for a new number 1 isn't anything to do with his shot-stopping ability. He want's a goalkeeper who is comfortable playing it out/can find a mid-range pass. At the moment we have to rely on the other side not implementing a high press so Dubravka can get it out to Schar or Burn. 

Edited by sushimonster85

Guest HTT II

He has mostly played behind a defence that has ranged from average to shite and back again. He’s a very good shot stopper, but his distribution is awful. He’ll keep for a season or two as first-choice and then understudy. Again, we need to spend good money elsewhere first.

• 3 weeks later...

That’s why I’m underwhelmed when I see Pope & Henderson linked. Aye he’s got a rick in him now and again but most keepers do. You’ve obviously got the elite keepers (Ederson, Allison, De Gea) and there’s a few in the group just below (Lloris, I’d still include Pickford here) but I think he’s good enough for top 8 in a Howe side. Think we could get by with him first choice one more season then look for someone a step up.

5 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

That’s why I’m underwhelmed when I see Pope & Henderson linked. Aye he’s got a rick in him now and again but most keepers do. You’ve obviously got the elite keepers (Ederson, Allison, De Gea) and there’s a few in the group just below (Lloris, I’d still include Pickford here) but I think he’s good enough for top 8 in a Howe side. Think we could get by with him first choice one more season then look for someone a step up.

Totally agree - £3.5m - whatever happens - he’s been a superb servant and certainly bailed us out numerous times - kept us up twice imo

4 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Agree. Only reason I can see they would want to get Henderson in now is fear that he might go elsewhere in the summer if Howe sees him as the long term keeper since Dubs is getting close to the tail end of his career.

The issue isn’t Dubs it’s the people behind him. A better back up is essential, so we’ll definitely be after a GK this summer and Any new signing should be providing competition for the starting slot

That tweet sums it up - no clean sheets without him.

• 1 month later...
1 minute ago, joeyt said:

So has he said this to drum up additional interest or has nobody shown an interest and the agent fancy's another payday ? either way its 8th of July and I cant imagine Howe has made a decision of first choice yet.

we were never going to pay £10m on an england goalkeeper to put him on the bench or he wouldnt have signed.

Dubs feels he's too good to be a back up or fight for his place so it looks like we wont be selling darlow.