Martin Dúbravka

Figures 1-0 Football

1 minute ago, Dr.Spaceman said:

He's good enough as a number two like, there's no doubt about that. There was a cross that he claimed in between two Wolves players in the second half that was very good. He just does the basics very well.

Think he'll be off in the summer, I think he certainly see himself as a number 1 somewhere unlike Karious who just seems happy to be involved in any role

2 minutes ago, joeyt said:

Think he'll be off in the summer, I think he certainly see himself as a number 1 somewhere unlike Karious who just seems happy to be involved in any role

Zero issues with him wanting to leave, best of luck to him if he does.

Dubravka is the perfect keeper for someone like Luton, a newly promoted team or someone like Everton who look to sit deep an soak up pressure, as his shot stopping is genuinely excellent, he's just not a a sweeper keeper which is important for how most top 10 sides play.

It is a bit odd how he was just plodding around Eastern Europe/Scandinavia before Rafa picked him up and no one had heard of him

Ever since he joined he's clearly a capable goalkeeper to at least make a living as a number 1 in better leagues than he was in until about the age of 30

Just now, joeyt said:

It is a bit odd how he was just plodding around Eastern Europe/Scandinavia before Rafa picked him up and no one had heard of him

Ever since he joined he's clearly a capable goalkeeper to at least make a living as a number 1 in better leagues than he was in until about the age of 30

I think this is a potential reason with him jumping on that loan to man utd was about maximising his income as he's probably not yet settled yet on a mile Ashley contract, probably got more on that loan then being here.

I didn't have much problem with him moving to Man Utd to be honest, I could understand his reasons - I know many on here I think still hold it against him

4 minutes ago, joeyt said:

I didn't have much problem with him moving to Man Utd to be honest, I could understand his reasons - I know many on here I think still hold it against him

Aye, journeyman keeper having the chance to represent a club like that for 6 months. Especially when he'd lost his place here. No issues at all. 

2 hours ago, Colos Short and Curlies said:

he’s decent but there’s a few better number 2s out there.

City, Liverpool, Arsenal have far better for starters. You would of course expect that to be the case but there are a few others that push him close

Arsenal is an anomaly, because they'd both be number 1 keepers for 90% of the league. I don't feel Liverpool and City are clear cut, as I've seen both of those keepers make pretty basic mistakes while having to be less involved as Dubs is. That said I'd take a gamble on the Liverpool one. 

11 hours ago, El Prontonise said:

I think this is a potential reason with him jumping on that loan to man utd was about maximising his income as he's probably not yet settled yet on a mile Ashley contract, probably got more on that loan then being here.

You don’t get paid more for going on loan. He’d still be under the original contract with us.

35 minutes ago, jonny1403 said:

You don’t get paid more for going on loan. He’d still be under the original contract with us.

He was probably trying to put himself on the market, trying to get a new contract from another club, whilst playing the supposedly Europa League games but of course this didn't happen. 

The loan didn’t bother me at all, although in hindsight it weakened us for the final. I think he backed himself to have a stab at the no.1 spot there because there was no way he was getting in ahead of Pope.

His confidence must have taken a battering in recent seasons so he’s taken a while to return to the levels we’ve seen in last two games.

Pope won’t be thrown in when he’s available either.. so looks like he’ll be no.1 choice for the remainder of season.

The psychological side of injuries like that will play their part too.. for example not throwing yourself down to save as willingly as you would have before. So it will take Pope some time to build confidence that he won’t get hurt again.

On 03/03/2024 at 09:14, CPL said:

He was probably trying to put himself on the market, trying to get a new contract from another club, whilst playing the supposedly Europa League games but of course this didn't happen. 

Well, at least he got a LC winner’s medal…

I nurture the possibly foolish hope that we're getting the old Dubs back. He was great when he first arrived, oozing confidence and defiance, but he seemed to lose that after his injury. 

He's got a bit of that crazy look about him now. Essential for all keepers.

• 3 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, OverThere said:

What's with his diving? Doesn't get much distance so easy to score against from edge if the box type shots

There is some GK coach/analyst on Twitter that I follow.  Looks at keepers using the 'collapse' method or something like that.  Not moving their feet pre shot and often not getting a good hand on it or getting down to it late.  I think it's a massive criticism against Onana and it feels like it's the same for Dubravka.  

I know it is a bit different as they're big old units.  But you don't see Alisson or Pope for example regularly at full stretch and not getting across.  As they usually have great footwork before diving.