Islam Slimani - Returned to Leicester

Figures 1-0 Football

I wouldn't pay over 10 million for him personally. That's not because I don't like but he's at the wrong age. On a couple occasions last night he looks like a head down runner, which is a concern, but outside of that he did well with no service whatsover. Not that it's likely to happen but honestly think Mitro would be a better option for us if Rafa were willing to work with him.

Again not saying I don't like Slimani from the brief games he's been part of he's been good, just not sure if a deal for him would make any sense, especially if our owner is signing off on the cheque, Leicester will want a way bigger one than he will be prepared to hand over.

I don't see how Mitro could look effective in Rafa's system, he doesn't offer the same mobility. I still have doubts about whether he would score enough goals in the premier tbh, but I could be wrong. Just don't see him doing it the way Rafa sets up.

I'd spend 12-15mill on Slimani, and keep Mitrovic as his equal/understudy (dependant on whether he can convince Rafa that he can learn from him). If we sell Mitro we should be looking at a player of similar age, ability and value , but  more suited to Rafa's system.

In a hazy dreamland scenario that would probably be an ideal outcome, when you woke up what would you do?

Are you saying that only in a fantasy of my own imaginations could Rafa have a list of potential targets?

Well let's have a look at all three of your propositions:

1. Get Slimani for £12-15m - not going to happen realistically, certainly not £12m, could be closer to £20 probably.

If Leicester want him off their wage bill, we'll gt him for £15.

2. Mitrovic isn't going to be his understudy, even Rafa was ok with it, the lad himself won't.

Exactly why I didn't say understudy but specified equal/understudy. Let the two of them compete for the position with the awareness of exactly what Rafa expects.

3. Rafa will find someone of similar calibre but younger and at that sort of price range. That's possible, but it's just wishful thinking at this point.

I have great faith in Rafa's knowledge of the football world. We might get someboy who isn't as good as either Mitro or Slimani,but is more effective in Rafa's system. The idea that we will be unable to find a similar player for a similar price just defies logic.

Guest Howaythetoon

Fuck sake man, our own fans debating the re-sale values and writing players off because they're over the hill at 29.

What have we become?

If he's the right player, in the right system, under the (clearly) right manager, just fucking sign him. I couldn't care less how much he costs or how much we might sell him for. God forbid we might actually be able to buy someone else in a couple of years without relying on selling players, or even worse, bring a youngster through.

Talking about resale values, give your head a shake man.

Normally I would agree 100% with this, but unfortunately we have been conditioned into he whole resale value/player worth thing thanks to Ashley, but even more so thanks to the way the game is today.

If he is going to cost us say 20m + fine, if we had money to burn, but we don't. Its not fans' fault these days they ask these kind of questions when discussing a potential player such as age, wages, cost, resale value because those factors are becoming increasingly important to a club. They should never be important to a fan of course, agreed.

If Abraham is going to cost us the same, for example, its a no brainier financially. Same with keeping Mitrovic over the cost of Slimani and working with him.

Me, if Rafa wants him and he contributes, to hell with his age, transfer fee cost, wages etc. But these factors can be pivotal to how a club operates sadly these days. Just look at the mackems.

Against Arsenal I thought he helped us towards the 3 points and looked very good, Everton less so, but still did enough to suggest he would if fit start for us every week or should do as things stand.

If we are operating on a budget, we can do better or should be able in terms of value for money and that's where Rafa comes in or should do.

As much as I despise Ashley, Slimani at 29 or 30, 20m + and 80k a week... I'd say no financially as well, especially in our situation. Its madness and we are nowhere near the level where we can splash that kind of money on someone like him.

I'd rather we persisted with Mitrovic.

Guest covmag

interesting debate.

i think Rafa will have 50 million to spend, its very difficult to form an opinion on this guy, he's a risk an expensive one and not a one i'd risk, ive already mentioned to my son we have the same player on our books paid for,  Mitro. It makes no sense to splash out on a risk when he essentially looks no better but thats harsh as game time has been zilch .

even with player sales i expect our net spend to be £30 million or so at most

In our current position we need players for the now and Rafa has worked with Slimani this season so is less of a risk...if he wants him. We then need another younger striker with potential to compete with him, from a lower price bracket (sadly this isn't likely to be Mitrovich).

That then gives us 2/3 seasons for the junior to bed in and hopefully takeover. Then we say a fond farewell to Slimani and a new up and coming youngster comes in to gain experience without being thrown in at the deep end. After that then hopefully the academy is doing it's a job and you unearth the next Harry Kane! Circle of life, bitches.

At the moment we are paying the price for past failings and our youngsters are being expected to do a job from the go - see Mitrovich, Thauvin, even Merino and Murphy though Rafa has obviously taken the long game with them as he should, but really we needed them to hit the ground running. Its the project Rafa wants and why he has talked about the academy as part of it.

If that means taking a hit for a couple of seasons then so be it.

interesting debate.

i think Rafa will have 50 million to spend, its very difficult to form an opinion on this guy, he's a risk an expensive one and not a one i'd risk, ive already mentioned to my son we have the same player on our books paid for,  Mitro. It makes no sense to splash out on a risk when he essentially looks no better but thats harsh as game time has been zilch .

even with player sales i expect our net spend to be £30 million or so at most

Mitrovic isn't anything like the same player, he's said himself he's not suited to the way Rafa sets us up.

I suspect he may not gel that well with Ayoze.

Simple solution and have been saying it all season. Stick Merino in at no.10

During that one on one situation, Merino wouldn’t have panicked, seen the pass and just made it.

That way we don’t have to disrupt a midfield pairing that’s doing very well.

I like the look of Slimani but not at 21 million.

Ehm, are you criticizing Slimanis ability to gel with Ayoze based on a simple pass Ayoze overhit? The fact that Slimani did the correct run and Ayoze saw it and made the pass at the right place at the right time surely indicates that they will probably gel well together? :lol:

I suspect he may not gel that well with Ayoze.

Simple solution and have been saying it all season. Stick Merino in at no.10

During that one on one situation, Merino wouldn’t have panicked, seen the pass and just made it.

That way we don’t have to disrupt a midfield pairing that’s doing very well.

I like the look of Slimani but not at 21 million.

Apart from he's massively liable to underhitting his passes and couldn't press, offer the outlet or score the goals that Ayoze does.

Doubt he will be staying.

Not starting today is a sign that he didn't rate his performance against Everton. I'm surprised he hasn't given him another chance though.

Doubt he will be staying.

Not starting today is a sign that he didn't rate his performance against Everton. I'm surprised he hasn't given him another chance though.

Same here, although with Rafa you can never tell what's going on in his head. I'd be surprised if he's made his mind up after one start.

In all fairness, Slimani was very poor against Everton, gave the ball away plenty of times.

So did everyone else, I think Diame was the only one who was keeping possession with any success.