Sunderland

Kaizero

Will Sunderland Be Promoted from LEAGUE ONE? 0 = No chance 10 = Definitely  

643 members have voted

1. 1. Will Sunderland Be Promoted from LEAGUE ONE? 0 = No chance 10 = Definitely

This poll is closed to new votes

:lol: Did that lad bring his dinner with him?

I feel like that series is all you need to know about what lower league football used to be.

That’s the only football documentary I can think of that is warts and all sort of stuff. Fucking brilliant.

The recent ones - especially that City shite - is pure propaganda.

Guest Howaythetoon

Watched all episodes and all bias aside it felt and looked like a league one production rather than Premier League. I’ve seen slicker and more professional videos on YouTube.

That montage intro of old photos and footage mixed with amateur Photoshop renderings to merge the past with the present and that god awful song woefully attempts to establish some kind of unique meaningful historic link and context of a working class Northern City and people and their football club tied in together.

And in a way which a casual viewer without any knowledge of the NE and the era of ship building and coal mines could be forgiving into believing is unique and separates Sunderland from a lot of northern towns or cities, it’s people and their football clubs.

It screamed small time, an editing ploy to add some extra history and significance to the value of the club in order to add some credence and credibility to the narrative the series is trying to sell, a story of a proud, once successful huge important club where relegation from the PL and then the Championship is some chasmic rare disaster worthy of documenting.

All they documented though was the almost corporate like cliche football jargon from players, managers, staff and the MD alike who revealed nothing new or interesting and although the fans spoke more truthfully in terms of their commentary regarding their plight, cliches and generic jargon was just as forthcoming.

Overall even I as a casual viewer noticed footage showcased as scenes in the stands from a summer home friendly with Celtic for example didn’t quite add up when such scenes featured fans clad in winter hats, jackets and scarves, footage from another match later on in the season.

All of which gave this series an amateur look and feel which ultimately ended up like a fast forward skip through the trials and tribulations of a relegation and then another with the main culprits responsible offering up a few soundbites. Had this been an end of season official club DVD release for the consumption of Sunderland fans only you would excuse the poor editing and production, thin content, warped narrative, scenes that didn’t fit and the non confrontational opposing alternative narrative, but as far as a documentary goes, this was pretty tepid and meaningless. Straight to DVD material.

Things the series did reveal - the MD came across as someone who didn’t have a clue about football. He just looked false to me and his words empty. Gave the impression he cared and was doing his utmost, but wasn’t convincing at all. A complete act.

Grayson - better than Rafa don’t forget. A corpse has more charisma. Way out of his depth, but probably sold a lie regarding spending. A total wet blanket.

Coleman - came across well, but another probably sold a lie regarding spending. Showed himself to be all talk and totally bereft of skill and ability when it come to coaching, Symons seemed a parody of a number two.

Honeyman and other local young lads - showed they cared and spoke well. Will be players Sunderland will need to get out of this mess, but will ditch once they do. Hope he has a decent career in particular.

Grabban, Rodwell and Gibson - utter frauds and complete twats, especially Rodwell. I hope he loses everything.

Keepers - highlights alone, my word, I think I would have save some of the goals they let in.

Their fans - hard to be critical giving the crap they’ve had to endure but this series doesn’t paint a good picture, constant abuse whenever they lose and that fan that abused Coleman should be ashamed of himself and credit to Coleman for standing up for himself. Sunderland til I die? Only when not losing.

Club staff - they were the highlight of the series, genuine, warm, caring people who gave the truest reflection of what any club is about outside the 90 minutes and that’s people like the dinner lady, chef, player liaison lass, ticket staff, groundsmen and the physio who along with the fans many of whom are fans themselves, make up a club.

Interesting to watch as a footy fan and as our neighbors, but a bit League One just like the club :lol:

Excellent summary HTT, I agree about the club staff although I would have liked more info on what happened after relegation, considering the late release date even text on the screen at the end would have been enough

I see they are all patting themselves on the back with the accolades they are reporting from fans all over the world saying it was better than the Man City version.

How many such and such "in peace" have signed up to tell them this?

Just bought 4 tickets in the East Stand at the Stadium of Shite thanks to an ex Sunderland season ticket holder who allowed us to use his supporter number. Needing another 2 because they wouldn't allow me to buy any more than 4 off his number so if anyone knows of a couple more tickets going spare I'll take them. Not bothered what end they're in.

Just bought 4 tickets in the East Stand at the Stadium of Shite thanks to an ex Sunderland season ticket holder who allowed us to use his supporter number. Needing another 2 because they wouldn't allow me to buy any more than 4 off his number so if anyone knows of a couple more tickets going spare I'll take them. Not bothered what end they're in.

Ffs, good luck, I may be joining you although a work pal has just bought a few in our end today so fingers crossed

Ffs, good luck, I may be joining you although a work pal has just bought a few in our end today so fingers crossed

Wouldn't be the first (or 2nd) time I've done it. Out of the 6 of us, three are from Wallsend, one from South Shields, and two from Seaham. Those 3 can blend in no problem but our accents are a dead giveaway. Judging by the amount of available seats when we booked our tickets and that only 2 stands look like they've been opened it looks like this game might be an embarrassment too far for the unwashed and they're giving it a swerve anyway.

Wouldn't be the first (or 2nd) time I've done it. Out of the 6 of us, three are from Wallsend, one from South Shields, and two from Seaham. Those 3 can blend in no problem but our accents are a dead giveaway. Judging by the amount of available seats when we booked our tickets and that only 2 stands look like they've been opened it looks like this game might be an embarrassment too far for the unwashed and they're giving it a swerve anyway.

Tbf its a joke game, but I’ve no doubt they will take it as a win against our bairns and should win the competition that no one outside of it gives a fuck.we are there to take the piss out of them, full stop, maybe grab a seat or two  :lol:

In all seriousness, has anyone on here ever heard any racism inside SJP? Thankfully I never have, but I do remember an old bloke saying "I wouldn't sell him to the chinkies" about Coloccini in Nine, which I like to think I'd have said something about had I not wasted 10 minutes trying to work out what that even meant.

Not at SJP I don't think, but loads of times at away games.

Feel kinda sorry for Coleman. The team was utter shite and he wasnt able to invest in it. Poisoned chalice really and its a shame he took that job after his success with Wales. As others have said too the club staff seem lovely.

Its ridiculous how poorly treated ourselves and them are like.

In all seriousness, has anyone on here ever heard any racism inside SJP? Thankfully I never have, but I do remember an old bloke saying "I wouldn't sell him to the chinkies" about Coloccini in Nine, which I like to think I'd have said something about had I not wasted 10 minutes trying to work out what that even meant.

If the pair of you have never heard it at SJP you must be very young.

It was the norm believe me

If the pair of you have never heard it at SJP you must be very young.

It was the norm believe me

Yes it was but not heard it for a long time in the ground.