Sunderland

Kaizero

Will Sunderland Be Promoted from LEAGUE ONE? 0 = No chance 10 = Definitely  

643 members have voted

1. 1. Will Sunderland Be Promoted from LEAGUE ONE? 0 = No chance 10 = Definitely

This poll is closed to new votes

Dunno what you mean by very young like. I started going when I was about 8 in 1992 and I'm 34 now.

Late 70’s through till late 80’s mate, I’m ashamed to say I joined in as it was the norm.....no one said a thing.

It was disgusting and I look back in shame as I just followed the crowd with monkey chants not knowing the human impact I was doing , Newcastle fans were up there with the worst in the country in truth.

Ashamed tbh

Purely because Newcastle was a White city it was not very diverse or multicultural at all, it was not a Leeds or a Birmingham,London, Liverpool,Manchester etc that had multi cultural aspects hence the deeply racist element to the city in that era

Racist chanting towards players and opposition fans was the norm even into the 90s and most of us who are in our mid 40s and older if they are being honest would say they joined in

New years day 1985 when we beat the mackems 3-1 they had Gary Bennett and Howard Gayle both sent off ( both black) and they got absolute dogs abuse that day

Dunno what you mean by very young like. I started going when I was about 8 in 1992 and I'm 34 now.

Late 70’s through till late 80’s mate, I’m ashamed to say I joined in as it was the norm.....no one said a thing.

It was disgusting and I look back in shame as I just followed the crowd with monkey chants not knowing the human impact I was doing , Newcastle fans were up there with the worst in the country in truth.

Ashamed tbh

Purely because Newcastle was a White city it was not very diverse or multicultural at all, it was not a Leeds or a Birmingham,London, Liverpool,Manchester etc that had multi cultural aspects hence the deeply racist element to the city in that era

There might be some truth in that and the city is certainly a hundred times more diverse now that kids growing up in 2018 Newcastle have a much more varied set of friends and neighbours which makes it harder to hold theose repugnant views.

Conversely, London is one of the most diverse cities in the world, as it was back in the 70s and 80s when racist abuse was some of the worst in the country at places like Chelsea, and as very recent events have shown, clearly still is an issue. And as diverse as Leeds and Birmingham are, their fans have never been averse to it either. 

Ashamed tbh

Racist chanting towards players and opposition fans was the norm even into the 90s and most of us who are in our mid 40s and older if they are being honest would say they joined in

New years day 1985 when we beat the mackems 3-1 they had Gary Bennett and Howard Gayle both sent off ( both black) and they got absolute dogs abuse that day

Bennett and Gayle got slaughtered that day and more so because it was Sunderland. Gayle was very popular with the Newcastle fans, it was a very different time, I remember drawing 2-2 at Grimsby with the away end shaking with ‘he’s black he’s brown he’s playing for the toon Howard Gayle’. It was sung as a show of support for him and it was taken that way.

I’m convinced a lot of the chanting wasn’t racially motivated but was simply sung to wind the opposition up so we’ve also got the classic ‘he’s a dwarf a dwarf’ song. You have to remember that shows like Love Thy Neighbour, On The Buses, Til Death Do Us Part and The Black and White Minstral Show had either stopped being broadcast not long before or were still being shown on repeat. What was considered acceptable was very different.

I did witness monkey chants, not loads but they did happen, that’s kinda where some drew the line at that time. That Sunderland game was the worst, not helped by the fact that it was NYD, it was a derby, we hadn’t played each other for 5 years and iirc Bennett had been kicking anything that moved. The place was absolutely rocking and it took off with the scoreline and 2 sendings off.

As I say, different times.

It was Tony Cunningham who was christened 'Blackie Milburn' - by who though, am not sure as was only a bairn at the time. I too remember the NF skinheads standing outside the Gallowgate, peddling their filth and I also remember players like John Barnes and Bobby Barnes regularly getting called the likes of Sooty'. :( Awful days.

Tony Cunningham lived in a flat next to the Hilltop pub in Stanley, he was a nice fella but he was definitely abused but I can never remember the blackie Milburn stuff.

I remember the NF numptys handing out stuff outside the strawberry and the someone wrote "Newcastle United are black and white, keep racism off the terraces " on and gate walking up to the east stand, which was my first experience of anything anti-racist.

I’ve never watched one second yet of this Netflix malarkey but I’ve heard it’s splendid viewing!

Have they been told to stop posting about us on the SMB?! Just looked and there ihas been virtually nothing all week  :kasper: :kasper:

I’ve never watched one second yet of this Netflix malarkey but I’ve heard it’s splendid viewing!

Have they been told to stop posting about us on the SMB?! Just looked and there ihas been virtually nothing all week  :kasper: :kasper:

they had a huge thread the other day about giving us our own sub forum

i think they decided to just merge everything into that newcastle thread as we have done with this one

it literally is must watch. the arrogance oozing out of them in the early episodes. the dawning realisation they are shite and then attacking players and manager.

I thought it was well done in that we don’t see many nice shots of football, football crowds and looking at the game through that kind of eye. I didn’t notice the continuity errors or if they mixed up crowd and game shots. I enjoyed it.

There are loads one camera shot at one match and the next at an entirely different match - thought it was badly made, poorly edited and boring the couple I watched. Each to their own though

Guest neesy111

I thought it was well done in that we don’t see many nice shots of football, football crowds and looking at the game through that kind of eye. I didn’t notice the continuity errors or if they mixed up crowd and game shots. I enjoyed it.

There are loads one camera shot at one match and the next at an entirely different match

Yeah, that's shocking and blatantly obvious.  Guess it was to do with getting camera's in at opposition grounds.

Parts of it look decent.