Sunderland

Kaizero

Will Sunderland Be Promoted from LEAGUE ONE? 0 = No chance 10 = Definitely  

643 members have voted

1. 1. Will Sunderland Be Promoted from LEAGUE ONE? 0 = No chance 10 = Definitely

This poll is closed to new votes

1 hour ago, UncleBuzzcocks said:

Sunderland beaten by another League 2 team. Oldham Athletic who are currently 23rd of 24. 

They're such a big club that nobody cares. Mansfield, Oldham, slaughtered by Rotherham in the last month, so what.

Yet Hereford and Southend live on.

1 hour ago, Sima said:

They often do stuff like that on there.  It either goes in Parsnip so only registered users can see it (same as the shite that some spout on the Politics board) or gets wiped from existence.

classy fans though ,all about the image 

4 minutes ago, Karjala said:

They out of the pizza trophy now then? Im lost with all the rounds, penalties in group games etc

Done them a favour tbh, their runs to the two finals did nowt for their league form.

Is it true that most "hard core "Heed" fans detest Newcastle with a passion unmatched by even the most rabid Sunderland fan in my experience" ?

Been to a couple of Gateshead games and heard no anti-Newcastle talk whatsoever....  maybe they only share the hatred out loud with rabid Sun'lun fans.....

9 minutes ago, pinkeye said:

Is it true that most "hard core "Heed" fans detest Newcastle with a passion unmatched by even the most rabid Sunderland fan in my experience" ?

Been to a couple of Gateshead games and heard no anti-Newcastle talk whatsoever....  maybe they only share the hatred out loud with rabid Sun'lun fans.....

Very unlikely in South Newcastle !!!

Most ‘Heed fans are former die hard NUFC fans who gave up (rightly) on NUFC, there is a few hundred hard core home fans and then there is a scatter of SAFC fans who attend. The majority from my experience support Gateshead, but want the Toon to also win as it’s still their club. Absolute whopper again from RTG…

14 minutes ago, HTT II said:

Most ‘Heed fans are former die hard NUFC fans who gave up (rightly) on NUFC, there is a few hundred hard core home fans and then there is a scatter of SAFC fans who attend. The majority from my experience support Gateshead, but want the Toon to also win as it’s still their club. Absolute whopper again from RTG…

I only actively supported Gateshead for a few years when my nephew, Lee Novak, was playing for them. Most of the people I met there were Gateshead fans and (in reality) they were also Newcastle Fans, though principally Gateshead first.

I never heard about anyone from Sunderland there, ever!

1 minute ago, manorpark said:

I only actively supported Gateshead for a few years when my nephew, Lee Novak, was playing for them. Most of the people I met there were Gateshead fans and (in reality) they were also Newcastle Fans, though principally Gateshead first.

I never heard about anyone from Sunderland there, ever!

They do have a handful of SAFC fans attending regularly which is great, but the majority are former Toon fans who make up the larger number, the true figure of say 300 + are proper Gateshead lads and lasses, no Toon or SAFC connection. Either way, it’s good that fans in general support a local non league team, whether you’re black ‘n white or red ‘n white. The atmosphere home and away at the ‘Heed is usually full on support for the club and no cross-club rivalry comes into it!

The whole myth about diehard Heed fans hating NUFC seems to stem from when they lost their league status.  Can't find the source but seem to recall reading somewhere that the way NUFC voted was to protect themselves because another club owed them a substantial amount of money (possibly Hartlepool).  There's also a bit here about geographical reasons

On the 28th May 1960, however, the Football League’s AGM had a nasty surprise in store for Gateshead. Eighteen different non-league clubs applied for a Football League place in 1960, but after Oldham Athetic had their place confirmed it was confirmed that Peterborough United of the Midland League had finished in second place, meaning that a Football League club was going to lose its place. Even when Hartlepools United grabbed the third spot, though, Gateshead still had cause for optimism. Southport may have finished a place above them in the table, but they’d had to apply for re-election for the previous three seasons whereas this was the first time that Gateshead had been required to reapply in twenty-three years. Southport won eleven votes more than Gateshead, though, and the Newcastle Chronicle reported the next day:

Gallant Gateshead are out of league football. Gone from the tough competitive scene are a team who have always played hard and earned their own little corner in soccer history. They battled in the shadow of the great Newcastle United and Sunderland – for cash as well as points. They were always fighters, but now their ‘colleagues’ have kicked them out.

The strong rumour was that the owners of southern clubs were tired of having to travel all the way up to Tyneside, though this has obviously never been verified by anbody in an official position. Two years later, however, when a new club was required to replace Accrington Stanley, who’d folded during the season, the voting saw a landslide for Oxford United, who received thirty-nine votes, thirty-four more than the next-lowest placed club, Wigan Athletic. Throughout the remainder of the 1960s, such landslide votes were the norm, but with very different results – non-league clubs normally came nowhere near the required total number of votes.

Edited by deejeck

On 26/11/2021 at 21:48, Joey Linton said:

Just read on there that their "old" owners still own just short half of the club. Amazing if true. [emoji38]

New owners have refused to confirm how much of the club they own. Their fans have been taken for the mugs they are. :lol:

5 minutes ago, Joey Linton said:

New owners have refused to confirm how much of the club they own. Their fans have been taken for the mugs they are. :lol:

And the 'financial genius' grumpy cunt had the actual audacity to try and pick holes in our takeover filings. 

Edited by et tu brute

If that guy is the same Chris as Chris Weatherspoon, he was bang on the money last time when he said the chancers had bought Sunderland with their own money.

Grumpy Narcissistic Old Fool said he was wrong, and Sunderland fans piled on to abuse him. In fact Methven, one of their chancer owners, encouraged this.

He was essentially right, though.

And now he is simply asking who owns the club, because it seems like ownership has gone to an offshore company whose ownership is murky / hard to work out. And might mean that Donald and Methven still own quite a lot of the club.

Haven't looked it up myself, but that's what they're arguing about from what I can gather.

7 minutes ago, Abacus said:

If that guy is the same Chris as Chris Weatherspoon, he was bang on the money last time when he said the chancers had bought Sunderland with their own money.

Grumpy Narcissistic Old Fool said he was wrong, and Sunderland fans piled on to abuse him. In fact Methven, one of their chancer owners, encouraged this.

He was essentially right, though.

And now he is simply asking who owns the club, because it seems like ownership has gone to an offshore company whose ownership is murky / hard to work out. And might mean that Donald and Methven still own quite a lot of the club.

Haven't looked it up myself, but that's what they're arguing about from what I can gather.

Yeah, he clearly knows his onions when it comes to financial matters. 

Massive red flag that they won't tell you what percentage each person owns. Can say what you want about PIF, but at least we know who owns what.

15 minutes ago, Abacus said:

He's making veiled threats of legal action against fellow fans on there tonight for saying he defended the owners too much. :lol: