Group D - Argentina, Iceland, Croatia, Nigeria - CRO & ARG advance

Wullie
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

The fact she's suggesting that he's only good because of that midfield is ridiculous

Just as suggesting that he wasn't good tonight or against Iceland because of the midfield is not up to his standards.

Not really, they didn't have a midfield at all. This team is horrifically coached, and he was good against Iceland. It's a fair assessment

Yep. First and foremost no gameplan and horrible tactics. When your striking options are Messi, Aguero, Dybala, Higuain, Icardi and Correa, a midfield consisting og Mascherano, Banega, Di Maria and Biglia is more than adequate. Don't really care much for this rhetoric of 'players X and Y can't gel', if you can't make this work you're a fucking shit manager and that's it.

Oh Lawd ... it's the hope that kills you.

All setup nicely for the Super Eagles to do something tomorrow.

Can' take anymore disappointment.

If the rumoured lineup from the ITKs is correct, with Iwobi and Ndidi dropped and Iheanacho/Musa still benched in favour of Moses, Nwankwo, and goal-less wonder Ighalo, I have no confidence at all in a result.

I do wonder if it is misdirection, because the same ITKs yesterday were saying 4-2-3-1 with Kelechi, Musa, and Ndidi playing, but now it is 3 at the back with entirely different players according to these same people.

Oh my goodness ... I can't wait for the match to just come and go.

Well, I guess if we are persisting with those two clowns, at least it will be while playing a different shape. Maybe that will somehow work, though I won't be holding my breath.

I am so desperate for some unpredictability and pace though. Just play Musa and Kelechi for goodness sake.

It's right there for the taking.

Guest neesy111

Honestly man the reactions of some people over Messi's relative failure are absolutely pathetic.

We should be wanting a World Cup where all the best players are playing at their peak.

Can't get over how shite the Aries were. Absolutely broken team; reminded me of Spurs in the 5-1 in how they just gave up. Disappointed in Sampaoli, thought he was supposed to be some sort of tactical genius but he basically employed the same tactics I do when I'm losing on FIFA. Just chuck all the strikers on. Bonkers, especially against that midfield.

Guest neesy111

It reminded me of Ben Arfa with us, basically hope that he can beat about 6 players and do something mad

Then complain when he doesn't track back as him not trying.

I think the biggest crime is when you see Messi having to stand next to Mascherano just to get the ball :lol: You won't see any great player at this tournament having to do the same just to get involved.

When your superstar forward has to pick the ball up at the half way line you know you fucked up.

Guest neesy111

That game tonight still shows all these superstars rely on their team mates still, even if it is to ensure their main man is in the game and it's a myth someone can carry a very poor team to a WC win.

Guest neesy111

Will say what i've always said Rolando commands/captains his team a lot better than Messi does and can play in any system

Ronaldo's a natural leader because of his personality, Messi is so introverted and has almost been forced to be the captains of his teams.  I suspect if he had the choice he would pass it on.

I think it's fair to say Ronaldo is better at adapting into all kinds of systems given his all round ability.  Messi is relatively "limited".  Whether that means Messi "relies" on Barca system for his success is controversial though. 

However it's also worth noted that Messi has declined a huge lot.

I think it's fair to say Ronaldo is better at adapting into all kinds of systems given his all round ability.  Messi is relatively "limited".  Whether that means Messi "relies" on Barca system for his success is controversial though. 

not really sure any of that is true tbh

Guest neesy111

:lol: :lol: :lol:

God some people are either idiots or have such short memories.  Ronaldo could hardly score a goal in La Liga for the 1st half of the season.

Barcelona are playing a different system under Valverde to what they used to do, so load of shite he can't adapt to new systems.  Also he won the golden boot last season despite playing in what many think is the worst Barca side for a decade.

Relatively limited.  :spit:

Also the only reason such a bad Argentina side are at the world cup is because of Messi.

Ronaldo for me will go down as the greatest pure goalscorer there's been and easily the best athlete the game has produced.  He's an impeccable professional and probably the perfect role model.  However, I still think Messi is the greatest because he make's the game look so easy and he's essentially a playmaker who has the record of a legendary striker, something almost unthinkable.  He's done things on a football pitch that have left me speechless at times.

With nees on this one. Will only change my mind if Cristiano wins the World Cup with this Portugal side. Then he’ll be the greatest we’ve witnessed and that’s with Pele and Maradona included. This Portugal side is shocking, absolutely shocking and if he wins a Euro and World Cup with them I’ll tell my future children he’s the greatest athlete ever :lol:

Guest firetotheworks

Well. That was tremendously disappointing. I didn't think Argentina would win it, but I thought they'd at least be good enough to either support a Messi masterclass, or at least exploit the space created when four players immediately surrounded him.

When they actually got it to Messi it was the only time that space appeared and the potential for chances happened, but they managed to get the ball to him what felt like about 5 times in the match. [emoji38]

That's comfortably the worst Argentina team I've ever seen like, all of them standing still when Messi had the ball NUFC with Ben Arfa style, and all of them fucking up very simple things, even the likes of Aguero and Mascherano. It was like watching Soccer Aid + Messi.

Guest firetotheworks

Will say what i've always said Rolando commands/captains his team a lot better than Messi does and can play in any system

I'd agree if he was playing badly in different functioning systems, but all this has shown is that the system doesn't function at all for Argentina and that he can't undo that in the same way that nobody else can. Messi's played in about 4 or 5 functioning systems (off the top of my head 433 on the left, then as a false 9, then centrally, dominating possession tika taka style, then a team that breaks, then a team that just gets it to him, and in loads of situations with him dropping in the Xavi/Iniesta role) and in different roles, and been deadly in all of them.

I still can't get how bad that starting line-up was and the tactics to go with it. 

I was surprised that Lamela didn’t get the call-up, but figured they had a plan that he just didn’t fit into. Turns out they didn’t. Not that he’s great, but he puts himself about, takes people on, and gives a shit. They could have done worse, and did.