Round of 16 - SWE 1-0 SWI

STM

Rebic is excellent on the ball. Frankfurt will be pleased they signed him before the tournament started.

A player I'm sure Rafa would have loved to have in a team of his.

I can see Messi playing a similar role to what Modric does as he moves into his latter years. Not quite as deep probably but similar in terms of role/contribution.

Too lazy.

Reminder that Spain Portugal was arguably the match of the tournament along with France Argentina. Unwatchably dull indeed.

A rare occasion.

Both Euro finals, basically most match where the opposition is half decent and wants to actually play football. I agree that the matches where they're trying to break down teams can be dull, but how you come to the conclusion that that's their own fault and it's them that are playing anti-football is beyond me.

For me, their anti-football is defined by their lack of ambition to score. If they get a lead, they are happy to deprive the opposition of the ball for the rest of the game. It's more reprehensible than a Russian/Greece anti-football manifestation because they have the quality (in fucking abundance) not to be that way and put on a show.

Guest neesy111

Reminder that Spain Portugal was arguably the match of the tournament along with France Argentina. Unwatchably dull indeed.

A rare occasion.

Both Euro finals, basically most match where the opposition is half decent and wants to actually play football. I agree that the matches where they're trying to break down teams can be dull, but how you come to the conclusion that that's their own fault and it's them that are playing anti-football is beyond me.

For me, their anti-football is defined by their lack of ambition to score. If they get a lead, they are happy to deprive the opposition of the ball for the rest of the game. It's more reprehensible than a Russian/Greece anti-football manifestation because they have the quality (in f***ing abundance) not to be that way and put on a show.

:thup:

Guest firetotheworks

A rare occasion.

For me, their anti-football is defined by their lack of ambition to score. If they get a lead, they are happy to deprive the opposition of the ball for the rest of the game. It's more reprehensible than a Russian/Greece anti-football manifestation because they have the quality (in fucking abundance) not to be that way and put on a show.

They play the same way regardless of the score and even regardless of whether it's working. For me its success and failure in terms of the football being attractive or not is down to how the opposition play against them, again I don't see how that's their fault, when teams actually try and play football against them the games are often really good.

Comparing them with Greece is hyperbolic crap like.

Yeah. I disagree with your assessment. When they need a goal, they play the ball forward far more regularly. When they don't, their strategy is to exhaust the opposition.

A rare occasion.

Only Germany and Belgium scored more goals than Spain in the qualifiers. They scored twice the amount that England and France did, for example. Only Russia, Croatia, Belgium and England scored more than Spain in the group stages.

A rare occasion.

They play the same way regardless of the score and even regardless of whether it's working. For me its success and failure in terms of the football being attractive or not is down to how the opposition play against them, again I don't see how that's their fault, when teams actually try and play football against them the games are often really good.

Comparing them with Greece is hyperbolic crap like.

:thup:

The most they could be accused of is not having a plan b imo. It would probably be a fair criticism too, but when they're as good at they are at the passing game you can't blame them for playing that way regardless of opposition tactics. It's certainly not negative or 'anti-football', that's for sure.

A rare occasion.

Only Germany and Belgium scored more goals than Spain in the qualifiers. They scored twice the amount that England and France did, for example. Only Russia, Croatia, Belgium and England scored more than Spain in the group stages.

Must confess, I only watch them in tournament football and therefore all my views are restricted to seeing them play in that arena.