Round of 16 - SWE 1-0 SWI

STM

Ronaldo bottling big games as per.

Is this a joke?

No, just stupidity.

Yeah he was class when Portugal really needed him. Defo stepped up

More stupidity. :facepalm:

He played gash, no need to take it personal

He didn't bottle it though, did he? And he's certainly produced in many other big games.

I don't know who's coming up the pipeline from Argie youth football, but now's a good a time as ever to wipe the slate clean. With the exception of maybe Otamendi, I wouldn't keep a single one of those defenders around going forward. Dump Perez, Meza, Biglia, Banega, Salvio, and Di Maria. Build around the likes of Dybala, Icardi, Pavon, Lo Celso, Lautaro.

Tagliafico & Banega (getting on) have been decent like. Icardi, Dybala & Pavon sounds good going forward though. Messi could obviously still be on the scene & effective in 4 years if he stays fit.

Even if Messi's legs and agility go he could easily perform the Riquelme role at 34/35. Hope he doesn't retire because he has another WC in him if he wants it.

Messi isn’t someone who can slow the game down, that’s not and never will be his game even as he ages. He’s finished at this (iternational) level now. A sub at best in 4 years time, but I feel his inclusion may be a detriment to the whole pysche or team dynamic of Argentina at that stage. Like taking Maradona to ‘98...

Guest Howaythetoon

I don't know who's coming up the pipeline from Argie youth football, but now's a good a time as ever to wipe the slate clean. With the exception of maybe Otamendi, I wouldn't keep a single one of those defenders around going forward. Dump Perez, Meza, Biglia, Banega, Salvio, and Di Maria. Build around the likes of Dybala, Icardi, Pavon, Lo Celso, Lautaro.

Tagliafico & Banega (getting on) have been decent like. Icardi, Dybala & Pavon sounds good going forward though. Messi could obviously still be on the scene & effective in 4 years if he stays fit.

Even if Messi's legs and agility go he could easily perform the Riquelme role at 34/35. Hope he doesn't retire because he has another WC in him if he wants it.

Messi isn’t someone who can slow the game down, that’s not and never will be his game even as he ages. He’s finished at this (iternational) level now. A sub at best in 4 years time, but I feel his inclusion may be a detriment to the whole pysche or team dynamic of Argentina at that stage. Like taking Maradona to ‘98...

Aye :lol: Dunno why I put ‘98.

He was a disgrace for most of that match, it was like watching the best player in an Under 11’s game refusing to pass to his teammates ‘cos he thinks they are crap. Made it so much easier for Uruguay to play against knowing what he’d do. He needed reminding that they won the Europeans without him for most of the game.

Guest firetotheworks

Aye :lol: Dunno why I put ‘98.

I dunno why you put the rest of it either tbh. :lol:

Guest firetotheworks

I'm sure this will cause heart palpitations for lots on here but neither Messi or Ronaldo were any good today.

Understandable these days. Their powers aren't what they were and Messi especially is dealing with a much worse team than in the past. Obviously they're both still capable of having bad games like, but although Messi didn't play well, getting 2 assists isn't bad in the circumstances.

Guest firetotheworks

I'm sure this will cause heart palpitations for lots on here but neither Messi or Ronaldo were any good today.

Both were poor across the tournament.

You're kidding, aye? Ronaldo alone bagged a hattrick against Spain and was easily MOTM in that.

Edit: I think I know what you mean though, weirdly. I so desperately wanted Messi to cement his place as the GOAT with the only thing left to prove that some still throw in his direction.

I'm sorry but I disagree, or possibly I've misunderstood what Riquelme's role was as I have to admit I didn't see much of him. My point was more that Messi can play the number 10, sitting in between the lines and playing through balls like he did today for Aguero's goal. Once his agility goes I think he could still be a class player for Argentina in that role - if the team is built to accommodate that type of player that is.

Riquelme was awesome. Also this quote about him is one of my favourites ever:

“If we have to travel from point A to point B, everyone would take the six-lane highway and get there as quickly as possible. Everyone, except Riquelme. He would would choose the winding mountain road, that takes six hours, but that fills your eyes with scenes of beautiful landscapes” – Jorge Valdano.

:aww:

I'm sorry but I disagree, or possibly I've misunderstood what Riquelme's role was as I have to admit I didn't see much of him. My point was more that Messi can play the number 10, sitting in between the lines and playing through balls like he did today for Aguero's goal. Once his agility goes I think he could still be a class player for Argentina in that role - if the team is built to accommodate that type of player that is.

Messi can easily play the Riquelme role but you have to have good players around you, I remember in 2006 he had Cambiasso and Mascherano behind him - Sorin to the left - Maxi to the right and Saviola and Crespo up top - it was poetry in motion that team - plus they had a stack of kids coming through

Messi wouldn't be great at the Riquelme role tbh, just like he wouldn't in a Xavi role etc etc. He's a forward and that's what he will be till he retires, Argentina's issue was if Messi stayed up front he'd never see the ball and if he comes to get the ball he's never in position to hurt France anyway.

It's just a total mess, their chance to win was clearly in 2014.

They had a great chance in 2010 - only problem was they had Maradona in charge who called up a load of duds

This was the generation they had coming through (from the 2008 Olympic gold team)

Olympic 2008 squad

Goalkeepers:

Oscar Ustari (22) (Getafe, Spain)

Sergio Romero (21) (AZ Alkmaar, Netherlands)

Defenders:

Pablo Zabaleta (23) (Espanyol, Spain)

Ezequiel Garay (21) (Real Madrid, Spain)

Federico Fazio (21) (Sevilla, Spain)

Nicolás Burdisso (24) (Internazionale, Italy)

Luciano Monzón (21) (Boca Juniors)

Midfielders:

Fernando Gago (22) (Real Madrid)

Ever Banega (20) (Valencia, Spain)

Javier Mascherano (24) (Liverpool, England)

Juan Román Riquelme (30) (Boca Juniors)

Angel Di María (20) (Benfica, Portugal)

José Sosa (23) (Bayern Munich, Germany)

Diego Buonanotte (20) (River Plate)

Forwards:

Lionel Messi (21) (Barcelona, Spain)

Ezequiel Lavezzi (23) (Napoli, Italy)

Lautaro Acosta (20) (Sevilla, Spain)

Sergio Agüero (20) (Atlético de Madrid, Spain)

Add the likes of Militp, Lucho. Higuain, Tevez

Surprised seeing Ronaldo getting applauded for sportsmanship and it getting called a beautiful moment helping cavani off the pitch. It looked to me like he span him 90 degrees to walk him off behind the goal and started rushing him off. Only aim was to get him off the pitch quicker

Guest neesy111

Both were poor across the tournament.

You're kidding, aye? Ronaldo alone bagged a hattrick against Spain and was easily MOTM in that.

Edit: I think I know what you mean though, weirdly. I so desperately wanted Messi to cement his place as the GOAT with the only thing left to prove that some still throw in his direction.

Isco was the best player in that match, he got voted higher in the BBC ratings as well in that game.