Sean Longstaff

xLiaaamx

He’s massively improved this season, he’s not holding into the ball for too long. His chasing, pressing and defensive work is outstanding. His reading of the game and movement is excellent. If he could improve his striking he’d be a fairly complete player (accounting for the fact he’ll never be a technically gifted dribbler)

I think a lot of the stuff he does goes unnoticed. He does a fair amount of decoy runs especially when playing further forward. Not everyone will notice that

Edited by Rafalove

He does deserve more credit sometimes, it's true. Very dependable. Ultimately a weak spot in the team, but we wouldn't be where we are with a less fit, committed and tactically dutiful player.

He does seem like one of the most obvious players in the XI that could be upgraded, and you often hear people talking about Rice, Neves, that lad from Ajax etc. who would almost certainly take his starting position should they sign, but just hypothetically, say we brought him in the summer for circa £40m from either home or abroad, and he put in the exactly the same performances as he has all season would there be as much clamour for him to be upgraded?

Does the fact he came through the academy and lost his way a bit under Bruce, and maybe that he is 26 later this year (so not particularly young / exciting) and has only really had a combined 2 years max of being decent affect judgment? I'm not saying that's the case, but just wondering what people thought.

1 minute ago, Paullow said:

He does seem like one of the most obvious players in the XI that could be upgraded, and you often hear people talking about Rice, Neves, that lad from Ajax etc. who would almost certainly take his starting position should they sign, but just hypothetically, say we brought him in the summer for circa £40m from either home or abroad, and he put in the exactly the same performances as he has all season would there be as much clamour for him to be upgraded?

Does the fact he came through the academy and lost his way a bit under Bruce, and maybe that he is 26 later this year (so not particularly young / exciting) and has only really had a combined 2 years max of being decent affect judgment? I'm not saying that's the case, but just wondering what people thought.

I appreciate what Sean gives to the team, but I think he needs to be replaced with a similar type of player (high energy and box-to-box) that offers more technical ability. Maybe that’s the side Bruno moves to (on paper) and then we actually target a more defensively minded player (like an Urgarte)

29 minutes ago, Paullow said:

I think you answered your own question in that post. Who do you think looked better yesterday, Longstaff or Rice? Sean's doing a great job this season but when you see genuine quality in that position, then you know the upgrade is going to have to come at some point.

Our midfield really remind me of Liverpool’s at certain stages of the last 5 years or so. Not much in the way of goals but absolutely vital to the way we play. 

He’s a bit like Henderson was back then - never ending engine and good protection for the right side of the defence when Trippier attacks. He must be one of the fittest players at the club (not in the way Schar is fit…)

I'd keep him in the squad for years to come personally. Ticks both home grown boxes, likeable lad, finally developing to a level close to his potential from years ago and generally a good egg. If Howe can sort out his finishing he'd actually be a top quality midfielder as well. Just wish Porkchops had never got his greasy fat hands on him during the crucial years of his development.

6 hours ago, TRon said:

I think you answered your own question in that post. Who do you think looked better yesterday, Longstaff or Rice? Sean's doing a great job this season but when you see genuine quality in that position, then you know the upgrade is going to have to come at some point.

Rice, it would have been 10 without him

Longstaff played well as well. Does a great job had technical limitations probably can be improved upon but no new player is just walking into our team with the way Longstaff is playing. 

Market value is surely back to where it was when Man Utd were rumoured to be interested. 40M? 

Not that I'm looking to sell. I wouldn't like to be the new midfielder we buy in the summer, he'd have as much luck displacing Willock/Joe. 

32 minutes ago, Weezertron said:

Market value is surely back to where it was when Man Utd were rumoured to be interested. 40M? 

Not that I'm looking to sell. I wouldn't like to be the new midfielder we buy in the summer, he'd have as much luck displacing Willock/Joe. 

I'd sell him, history repeats and I can see him going back to as he was if something such as not featuring as often as he is whether as regular or sub, can affect a player mentally .