Sean Longstaff

xLiaaamx

1 minute ago, wyn davies said:

I'd sell him, history repeats and I can see him going back to as he was if something such as not featuring as often as he is whether as regular or sub, can affect a player mentally .

History will only repeat if we get Bruce back as manager.

He gets a rediculous amount of stick, and how he performs is measured so differently to others. One mis placed or one bad shot and he's fucking hounded for it. It's mad.

3 minutes ago, Kanji said:

He gets a rediculous amount of stick, and how he performs is measured so differently to others. One mis placed or one bad shot and he's fucking hounded for it. It's mad.

we always have loved hating our own. Been the same for years.

By own I mean academy graduates.

He’s absolutely fine and will be a fine squad player going forwards, and we need to keep him for homegrown quote in Europe. 

Fitting he sent us to Wembley tbh.

I think Longstaff has proven valuable in many ways. He is limited, but he's slowly improved and come a long way compared to when Howe took over.

We definitely need more talent in the squad and some to push him down pecking order, however Longstaff should be a tactical sub or rotation player next few season. If we are competing in Europe we will need to rotate a lot.

2 minutes ago, Geogaddi said:

However much he has improved I still can’t believe we turned down 40 million for him from Man United , we probably wouldn’t even get that much for him now .

No one will be in for him anyway.

He's one of those players that should be called "useful invisible". Does loads of good work that no one notices or sees until he's not in the team. Similar to Henderson in a different sort of way...does nothing spectacularly but the team suffers when he's not there.

Very different to "invisible invisible" that Colback and Hendrick demonstrated to perfection. 

Can't see him ever being sold tbh. If he leaves it'll be on a free cos we wouldn't renew contract 

Joelinton doesn’t get rotated, he just had the two match ban and has been making his way back into the team. Willock also seems to have nailed down a spot save for his injury. It’s hard to make a case for dropping anyone right now, save for Burn if Targett is match fit. I’d also always start Isak if he’s injury-free but that’s me 

12 minutes ago, gbandit said:

Joelinton doesn’t get rotated, he just had the two match ban and has been making his way back into the team. Willock also seems to have nailed down a spot save for his injury. It’s hard to make a case for dropping anyone right now, save for Burn if Targett is match fit. I’d also always start Isak if he’s injury-free but that’s me 

I would start the two Joe tomorrow in space of Longstaff. I would start Isak too but I think Howe will go with Wilson.

Selling Longstaff makes zero sense. We'll never replace him with a like for like at any reasonable cost. He's actually good and a lot of people need to take a step back and realise his impact this season.

/Sean Lonstaff Fan Club

23 minutes ago, Dr.Spaceman said:

Selling Longstaff makes zero sense. We'll never replace him with a like for like at any reasonable cost. He's actually good and a lot of people need to take a step back and realise his impact this season.

/Sean Lonstaff Fan Club

Same here man. Honestly think he’s quite class. We’re 3rd place and he CLEARLY is key to that. Nothing he does is sexy like Willock or Joelinton but he’s one of the better half space 8s in the league. He presses and covers so much ground and he lets Bruno do his thing 

38 minutes ago, Dr.Spaceman said:

/Sean Lonstaff Fan Club

I've always been a fan of Longstaff but if we were to sell him and it wasn't to be Bruno to pick up his role, then I think someone like Gallagher would be a really good option in that number 8 role.

Edited by Thumbheed

4 minutes ago, Thumbheed said:

I've always been a fan of Longstaff but if we were to sell him and it wasn't to be Bruno to pick up his role, then I think someone like Gallagher would be a really good option in that number 8 role.

Sell Longstaff and replace him with someone not as good as him? That's madness 

3 minutes ago, Thumbheed said:

Gallagher's mint like.

I just think Longsgaff is perfect for Howe and his current tactical direction.

1 minute ago, Dr.Spaceman said:

Gallagher's mint like.

I just think Longsgaff is perfect for Howe and his current tactical direction.

Aye, don't disagree. Much like Willock if he had that little bit more composure in front of goal there'd never be any talk of replacing him or selling him but should it happen I do think Gallagher would be a great option. 

So happy for him. Always rooted for him, but that video of him in training mic'd up.. He never stops talking to his team mates, always encouraging and always giving 100% effort. It's hard not to like him. 

Needs to find his shooting boots, that's the next thing to nail. So weird as when he broke through it was his main attribute.

14 minutes ago, Thumbheed said:

I'd rather Longstaff over Gallagher personally. Maybe I'm the mad one here. We're Top 3 he's as close to an ever present in that achievement... What I'm I missing?  If Longstaff adds Goals, which I think he will, theres not much more he can do. He's bossing midfield and sometimes the combination of players and how they play in unity is more important than just playing 'names'.  I'm not sure what more some of these lads can do, to stop being suggested as cannon fodder! 

13 minutes ago, Oregon_Geordie said:

I'd rather Longstaff over Gallagher personally. Maybe I'm the mad one here. We're Top 3 he's as close to an ever present in that achievement... What I'm I missing?  If Longstaff adds Goals, which I think he will, theres not much more he can do. He's bossing midfield and sometimes the combination of players and how they play in unity is more important than just playing 'names'.  I'm not sure what more some of these lads can do, to stop being suggested as cannon fodder! 

Nah, he defo deserves his place in this team but I keep thinking about how he played when he was a number 6 and how one of the biggest things we missed when Bruno was out was how he could evade presses and open up the games and disrupt opposition shaoe with just a couple of touches, whereas Longstaff would usually play the way he faced meaning the opposition could keep their defensive shape. I think that ability is absolutely priceless as a midfielder and someone like Gallgher possess that quality as well as all the others Longstaff has in his armoury too. 

Tl;Dr: Gallagher can finish and evade press, Longstaff can't at the moment. 

Edited by Thumbheed

3 hours ago, wyn davies said:

I'd sell him, history repeats and I can see him going back to as he was if something such as not featuring as often as he is whether as regular or sub, can affect a player mentally .

:dowie:

Canny video on our Midfield.  Gallagher can also evade selection. I don't see what he's done that's so good, plus I doubt he's come up north.

I'd keep Longstaff where he is and get a DM to play/cover/evolve our shape. But to your own point Bruno is killing it in this deeper role.

17 minutes ago, Thumbheed said:

Nah, he defo deserves his place in this team but I keep thinking about how he played when he was a number 6 and how one of the biggest things we missed when Bruno was out was how he could evade presses and open up the games and disrupt opposition shaoe with just a couple of touches, whereas Longstaff would usually play the way he faced meaning the opposition could keep their defensive shape. I think that ability is absolutely priceless as a midfielder and someone like Gallgher possess that quality as well as all the others Longstaff has in his armoury too. 

Tl;Dr: Gallagher can finish and evade press, Longstaff can't at the moment. 

Give me Longstaff over Gallagher any day of the week in Howe's system.

The guy has heart and an affectionate for this club which can't be underestimated in the broader context of his improvement and contribution to the team.