Sean Longstaff

xLiaaamx

On 01/10/2024 at 16:35, LFEE said:

Is it not worth it just to sell for a fee instead losing for a free?

What would you say is low?

He's almost 27. We would give him what? Another year? Maybe 2?

Anything between £5-10m would be a good fee for him. Is it worth keeping him for that?

The annoying thing, is we don't have a natural replacement for him lined up. Maybe we do give him another year, just so he can really start sharing minutes with Miley.

49 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

He's almost 27. We would give him what? Another year? Maybe 2?

Anything between £5-10m would be a good fee for him. Is it worth keeping him for that?

The annoying thing, is we don't have a natural replacement for him lined up. Maybe we do give him another year, just so he can really start sharing minutes with Miley.

Sean's wages off the books probably outweighs keeping him around - regardless of any fee we might fetch. We should let him go thrive in the Championship, where he belongs in terms of his talent, and where he will excel.

Part of all of the invective he catches from fans is simply because he's being asked to shoulder more than he can handle, and its not fair to him, either.

26 minutes ago, Upthemags said:

Sean's wages off the books probably outweighs keeping him around - regardless of any fee we might fetch. We should let him go thrive in the Championship, where he belongs in terms of his talent, and where he will excel.

Part of all of the invective he catches from fans is simply because he's being asked to shoulder more than he can handle, and its not fair to him, either.

He was a big part of a side that finished 4th and 7th in the PL respectively. I'd agree with you if you say that we need better but saying he's championship standard is pure bullshit. 

He'd be a solid player for any lower tier PL side.

If we had a kid taking his place then no bother but the lack of a replacement means you go out and buy one then you do the math 3 more years of him and a chance to get a fee at some point in that period or he walks on a free and we go out and spend money. Home grown pure profit. 

I don't rate him or want him around the first 11 but in a psr world he cannot be allowed to go for nothing even if he isn't up to standard. 

17 minutes ago, STM said:

He was a big part of a side that finished 4th and 7th in the PL respectively. I'd agree with you if you say that we need better but saying he's championship standard is pure bullshit. 

It's a pity his finishing is so shit as he does have a knack of getting in goalscoring positions.

33 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

but lavishes praise on Bruce. 

Found that really weird, when I swear previously he'd opened up about his mental health struggles during that time and the obvious correlation between Bruce being there. Still, enjoyed the interview, he comes across as such a nice guy. I feel bad for giving him shit in the match threads, but I do think he's got a place in this side as a useful squad player.

38 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

Comes across really well on the podcast but lavishes praise on Bruce. 

“Lavishes” might be overstating it a bit like. I’d say he was complementary in a ‘no need for me to talk bad about him’ way.

5 minutes ago, SteV said:

“Lavishes” might be overstating it a bit like. I’d say he was complementary in a ‘no need for me to talk bad about him’ way.

Nah, he definitely says he was a really good manager and we wouldn’t be where we are now if he hadn’t kept us up. Unnecessary and weird. 

2 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

Nah, he definitely says he was a really good manager and we wouldn’t be where we are now if he hadn’t kept us up. Unnecessary and weird. 

Not unless he genuinely feels that way and got on well with him?

Gossip at the time was he disliked Bruce and was not going to sign a new contract if he was still manager... probs not worth a hill of beans but that was deffo doing the rounds on the coast where he lives.

I can imagine him not wanting to bad mouth someone on a podcast though and all the negative PR that would come with it 

32 minutes ago, SiLvOR said:

Found that really weird, when I swear previously he'd opened up about his mental health struggles during that time and the obvious correlation between Bruce being there. Still, enjoyed the interview, he comes across as such a nice guy. I feel bad for giving him shit in the match threads, but I do think he's got a place in this side as a useful squad player.

Your correct, think the article was in Athletic if I remember right. 

Most interesting bit for me was he snap says without thinking "Botman and Isak are our two World Class players", then he hesitates for a moment before adding "and Bruno and Joelinton of course" :)

2 hours ago, STM said:

Hes a solid player for any PL side that use the right system.

We got the most out of a lot of our more technically limited players by using brute force, the focus was on physicality and Longstaff did well at it. He shown he’s a pretty intelligent player to. He functions well in a pressing side on the front foot.

He’d look poor in possession based sides but he’s not a poor player. It’s not worth selling him from a financial perspective, and he’s not worth replacing for the cost. I think people often overlook how important players like him are to have around the team as well, a local lad who’s content with being in the squad. It counts for a lot. 

Edited by Nine

1 hour ago, STM said:

I’m not sure this is true.  

If he was available for free would Wolves or Brentford Sign him?

I believe we made it known we would entertain offers for Miggy. No PL club came in for him seemingly. 

Wolves still rock out Craig Dawson at CB, a steady, reliable player over the years but nothing like great. 

Given they are starting to look relegation in the face and appear to have a side lacking in much personality I would expect they would take a player who has done what Longstaff has the last few seasons for free. 

Brentford spent 13 million on a player who had only really been proven in Scotland, and nothing like the CV Longstaff has, so again I would expect they would take Longstaff for free. 

They are different positions but it  puts perspective on where they are as clubs 

I don't know why it is being spoken about like Longstaff couldn't play for a lower tier EPL side when he has literally been playing for a side who have achieved more than that 

Edited by JEToon

Just now, Upthemags said:

Could he get in a side that's going to be relegated next season, playing in the PL this season? Maybe.

Curious what sides outside the bottom 3 people genuinely think he gets into

The Newcastle one, I don't expect us to get relegated 

1 hour ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

Or just being professional and not bad mouthing an ex colleague in public? Unnecessary and weird ffs [emoji38]

1 hour ago, The College Dropout said:

I’m not sure this is true.  

If he was available for free would Wolves or Brentford Sign him?

I believe we made it known we would entertain offers for Miggy. No PL club came in for him seemingly. 

Everton are the only side I can recall who showed serious interest in him, and that was because Rafa was there, and he did suit Rafa's low possession football.

Not sure if there was talk of Forest being interested last year, but don't think there was ever a fee talked about. I always think this is the acid test of a player's worth. Do other teams actually want him?

Comes across as such a nice lad in that interview.

Stand outs are; Isak and Botman could walk into any top team. Botman has everything; pace, strength and passing.

He is well aware of fan abuse etc but seems level headed enough to just get on with it.

17 hours ago, TRon said:

I always think this is the acid test of a player's worth. Do other teams actually want him?

And, do other teams fear them and come up with ways to counteract them? In this case, I'd guess no.

I'm not digging out Longstaff there. Did really well in the 4th season when he felt his way into games and was carrying an injury for a chunk of last season. And as of now, he's a useful squad player - take him out and we'd look pretty thin right across the park.