Fabian Schär - Out for the remainder of the season with Hamstring injury (Howe)

1 hour ago, The Prophet said:

I totally agree with you, but I wouldn't say our support appreciate Willock at all. There was absolutely loads getting stuck into him on a regular basis up until recently, despite him being largely very good this season. 

He was getting plenty of stick on here too, that's why it's been a pleasant surprise that he's getting some credit after Sunday. I think people are starting to look beyond his facial expressions and the goals he's not getting this time round.

1 hour ago, Kid Icarus said:

I've been watching Henderson and TAA play it speculatively into the channels for Salah for years now. Likewise VVD, Robertson and others. It doesn't really matter who does it, the point is that they play those speculative channel balls regularly. 

A weakness of Henderson's game - is that he's not the best on the ball. That's not a strength of his game. Why are you bringing it up? 

TAA does do speculative balls that is true. But he also records league high progressive passes. So there's massive upside. There's not that with Schar.

VVD's pass completion is 90%. Matip 89% it goes on.

Schar's completion rate is noticeably lower and he pulls off long passes at a low hit rate too. Botman isn't doing it anywhere near as much as Schar so i'm unsure how much of it is tactical.

1 hour ago, Kid Icarus said:

I always cite the same stat for things like that, Messi had the lowest through ball success rate in La Liga for years.

But he also has the most assists or right up there. So you have to look at other things. The same applies for Bruno Fernandes. He gives the ball away loads but also creates bucketloads and is up there with the leagues best for shot creation etc. TAA also gives it away a load but has league high stats in assists, progressive passing etc. That isn't the same with Schar. He gives it away a bucketload and there isn't a massive upside elsewhere.

It's a relatively small criticism but it's entirely valid.

I raised this same argument early doors about Sissoko. Peopl eventually hated him for it.... but he always did what he did people just refused to see it.

17 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

A weakness of Henderson's game - is that he's not the best on the ball. That's not a strength of his game. Why are you bringing it up? 

I'm not? I'm bringing up his speculative balls into the channels, usually to Salah. And as I say, it's not limited to Henderson, TAA, VVD, Robertson all do it too they all just happen to be incredibly good at it. The point being that you were saying 'the top teams don't do that' and that it's 'big sam-esque' despite Liverpool doing it regularly for years now. 

19 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

But he also has the most assists or right up there. So you have to look at other things. The same applies for Bruno Fernandes. He gives the ball away loads but also creates bucketloads and is up there with the leagues best for shot creation etc. TAA also gives it away a load but has league high stats in assists, progressive passing etc. That isn't the same with Schar. He gives it away a bucketload and there isn't a massive upside elsewhere.

Yes, the points you're making there are exactly why I bring up that stat about Messi. 

29 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

I'm not? I'm bringing up his speculative balls into the channels, usually to Salah. And as I say, it's not limited to Henderson, TAA, VVD, Robertson all do it too they all just happen to be incredibly good at it. The point being that you were saying 'the top teams don't do that' and that it's 'big sam-esque' despite Liverpool doing it regularly for years now. 

Yes, the points you're making there are exactly why I bring up that stat about Messi. 

No top team does the chip pass not near any team mates to the extent Schar does it.

Top teams do not tend to have CBs that complete that have 75% pass completion rates. None of Liverpool's CB's do.

No top team has a player with such low pass % rate for his position that doesn't have significant upside to the passing elsewhere.

Henderson's speculative balls are a feature of his game rather than a tactical idea from Klopp. Here's his speculagtive balls to Croatian players. It's not the mark of a top player. But he has other great attributes to his game. Even Bruno Fernandes.. he's not in that top bracket because other 10's can build possession (Odegaard for example) as well as create. 

39 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

So where's the massive upside to the Schar ball straight to the opponent? 

image.thumb.png.9f5798b7fbdb9b5a84d91cd65aafde3f.png

We are not a possession side so Schar’s amount of passes attempted per 90 are low vs other centre backs in the league (38th percentile).

Despite that, look where he is for key passes, passes into penalty area, progressive passes, through balls and switches. I have no idea how you can say his passing isn’t progressive when it so obviously is in every metric and the eye test.

Edited by Smal

45 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

Liverpool do not do what Schar is doing. No top ball-playing CB does what Schar is doing. And it's not a good thing. 

His actual defending has been superb and all things considered he's been better than Botman.

I'm sorry, but yes they do like. :lol:

4:18 onwards

1:20 onwards

Plenty of speculative channel balls here

And here

Edited by Kid Icarus

I like Schar a lot. Very good all round footballer (most of the time).

However, I don't think he did anything last night that Lascelles couldn't have done (on recent form). He's going to need to be more circumspect with his long pass attempts in the future imo.

He does ping a good ball.

Wonder if it's worth trying him on the wing? Could have Murphy on the right, Schar on the left pinging crosses in when we can't play through the middle. 

Just now, TBG said:

He does ping a good ball.

Wonder if it's worth trying him on the wing? Could have Murphy on the right, Schar on the left pinging crosses in when we can't play through the middle. 

Don't be ridiculous, you want him as a withdrawn playmaker dictating tempo in midfield.