Fabian Schär

Colo was alright overall. We'd not had a centre half like him in the side for what seemed like forever when he arrived and some couldn't handle him trying to play out from the back rather than the traditional Stevie T aimless chip or Titus 60 yard diagonal. The season in the Championship was at the perfect time for him and he was obviously head and shoulders above anyone at that level.

Let's not forget that Coloccini was in the PFA PL team of the season as an "alright" centre half.

He was class. Had we had a better team, over multiple seasons and more importantly.... someone better than Mike Williamson, he'd have achieved far more.

He'd have fucking pissed it for Pep, for example. He wasn't bult for the rough and tumble of a shite PL side.

Both Schar and Woodgate would have loved Colo alongside them.

God we are so blessed to have Schar AND Botman (who could be the best of them all).

40 minutes ago, Dr.Spaceman said:

Plus we'd just had to put up with weak as piss David Rozehnal at the back, when other clubs had units like Samba and Ryan Nelson as battering rams and we sort of needed our own.

We really should have kept Abdoulaye Faye. He'd have been a perfect partner for him.

There might be a bit of whatever the opposite of recency bias when it comes to Schar vs Woodgate. For twenty years, it's just been a known known that Woodgate was the best we'd ever had, ergo Schar can't possibly be. But he might be. I'm not in a great position to judge though cos I didn't see enough of Woodgate.

1 minute ago, Yorkie said:

There might be a bit of whatever the opposite of recency bias when it comes to Schar vs Woodgate. For twenty years, it's just been a known known that Woodgate was the best we'd ever had, ergo Schar can't possibly be. But he might be. I'm not in a great position to judge though cos I didn't see enough of Woodgate.

I remember watching Ibrahimovic play against Woodgate and Ibra didn’t get a sniff. Woodgate was soooo composed and read every situation so so well and barely went into 2nd gear. Woodgate when he was at his best was the best CB we have ever had imo, and quite easily. Unfortunately he was always injured. There’s a reason a club like Real Madrid signed him, despite him being extremely injury prone. I’m talking purely about the level of quality as a CB. He could almost carry an entire defence in his own. 

2 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

No one saw enough of Woodgate, he only played 28 times for us in a season and a half. Great player but if he’s going in that pantheon of greats he needs to play at least a season’s worth of games. Tony Green fans may disagree.

Schar has played 172 times for us, scoring 13 goals. He’s been a cornerstone of the best defence we’ve had last year in the PL. He’s kicked on this year, creating some of the best memories we’ve had for decades v Paris and then comes Villa.

Whether he’s the best is debatable but no doubt in 40 odd years he’s been my favourite CH, supplanting Albert. 

1 hour ago, STM said:

Let's not forget that Coloccini was in the PFA PL team of the season as an "alright" centre half.

He was class. Had we had a better team, over multiple seasons and more importantly.... someone better than Mike Williamson, he'd have achieved far more.

He'd have fucking pissed it for Pep, for example. He wasn't bult for the rough and tumble of a shite PL side.

Both Schar and Woodgate would have loved Colo alongside them.

God we are so blessed to have Schar AND Botman (who could be the best of them all).

Pep doesn’t pick easy mark CBs. You could never play a very high line with Colo like Pep generally did a few seasons ago. You can play a high line with Botman and Schar because they’re so assertive and clever at intercepting.

Aye, in a one-off game, with players at their peaks, you'd always choose differently to players who count consistency and reliability among their notable traits. 

Woodgate was something we'd never really seen before in our team, a genuinely world class centre half. I'm not going to sit and try to suggest that defensively Schar is better than Woodgate was, because I don't think he is. But he's close, and everything else he brings to the table, for me, he's the most complete centre half we've ever had. 

Woodgate then is like Bruno today, he was a level or two at least above everyone else on the pitch. Schar is alongside our best ever PL right-back and arguably our best ever PL midfielder. It's not so obvious how good he is imo. 

3 hours ago, joeyt said:

From memory I think Ronaldo really rated Colo before a lot of others realised how good he was, but his decline and hiding away from captaincy responsibilities turned him against Colo

Sums it up. He had a bad rap on here and was genuinely a class above in the Championship and very good in our first 2 seasons back. His decline was horrible and he was always susceptible to being bullied and throwing the towel in. Schar’s a different level even on Colo’s best day. Far more of a leader at the back as well. He plays for those around him and takes no disrespect towards the team or the fans. Total opposite to Coloccini who was central to a plethora of the most pathetic submissive performances we’ll ever see.

47 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

Woodgate is the only defender I’ve seen where the SJP crowd audibly gasped on his debut.  His ability to read attacker’s runs, and intercept them like a crocodile does a swimmer, was unmatched.

As an actual defender, he’s still unmatched.  Botman might supplant him if he’s here long enough and continues to develop in the way he is.

Schar is more like Albert for me - an excellent footballer who would probably be just as comfortable in midfield.  A really good - but not great - centre back. 

Edited by TheBrownBottle

Comparisons are always tough. I really liked Colo, but no he wouldn't be able to play quite so high a line but not sure I've seen many CBs better in one on ones with strikers, often just would calmly take the ball off them when most our other defenders since would retreat panic and just watch as the striker scores. He also did decline terribly and stuck around too long.

Fab is great, he's just very low key somehow, barely rated by anyone else and it's baffling.

Edited by Tiresias

1 hour ago, Yorkie said:

None of us are. He hardly played. For all we know it could have just been a purple patch :lol:

Depends if we're judging Colo at his peak or over the course of 8 years. Colo's peak was very good, but there was also multiple years of him being quite poor. Schar has had a good peak for a while now and I also don't think he's ever had a long stretch of being poor.

9 hours ago, Conjo said:

None of us are. He hardly played. For all we know it could have just been a purple patch :lol:

We saw enough games to judge him.  And so did Real Madrid tbf - no matter successful he was there, it isn’t every day that arguably the world’s biggest club comes in for one of our defenders