Centre Back Options

[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I think people are unnecessarily harsh about Clark man. The guy is a magnificent option as our 5th best centre back.

He works hard and is a good, honest defender that has stepped in and not disgraced himself numerous times.

Agree about this.

They only look like great options because Rafa is a good coach at organising a back four and drilling defenders, tbh.

Admittedly it is a nice bonus to actually have 5 natural CBs at the club, even if they're mainly ordinary.

Yep.

To be honest I'm broadly of the school of thought that spending big money on CBs is a false economy anyway, at least at the bottom end of things. If you're coaching a defensively minded side it's possible to get a lot from a little.

Big money on defenders is only really justified when you're getting somebody absolutely out of this world as a footballer and athlete, and they're being bought to play in a side where you need to be excellent at that. I doubted the money at the time but van Dijk is probably an example of this.

To be honest I'm broadly of the school of thought that spending big money on CBs is a false economy anyway, at least at the bottom end of things. If you're coaching a defensively minded side it's possible to get a lot from a little.

Big money on defenders is only really justified when you're getting somebody absolutely out of this world as a footballer and athlete, and they're being bought to play in a side where you need to be excellent at that. I doubted the money at the time but van Dijk is probably an example of this.

:thup:

Just don't think you can play Lascelles and Fernandez together as they struggle so much to get the ball out from the back. Lejuene and Schar are better bringing and passing the ball out, so realistically it's one of each. I'd go with Lascelles and Lejuene - they played well together last season and have that partnership experience.

But yeah, the only position in the squad we have real strength in depth. Bin Clark off ASAP.

Schär being in the team highlights how the team really needs a ball playing CB. His passing was superb today, but he got bailed out several times by Fernandez after taking up bad positions.

Hopefully Lejeune comes back just as good as he was before getting injured.

This has nothing to do with the Ashley comments, but I think Lascelles could struggle to keep his place once we have full options. Captain or not, if we’re winning games without him, Rafa won’t change what’s working.

Not really fussed which two are first choice tbh, it's the first time in eons I've felt comfortable about picking any two from four centre backs. Even in our CL heydays under SBR we had Titus Bramble if we were lucky and Andy O'Brien if we weren't.

Our defensive record was better when it was O’Brien alongside Woodgate rather than Bramble.

Agree to a point. I actually think it's very difficult to find defenders that are good at the basics 98% of the time. Marking, heading, pushing up etc.

Agree to a point. I actually think it's very difficult to find defenders that are good at the basics 98% of the time. Marking, heading, pushing up etc.

think the key to the bold bit is that you have to be coaching them well to achieve this, pardew coached a defensively minded setup and we were a fucking shambles

also at this sort of level rafa is making it very clear that one of them being able to play with the ball at his feet as well is paramount

Not really fussed which two are first choice tbh, it's the first time in eons I've felt comfortable about picking any two from four centre backs. Even in our CL heydays under SBR we had Titus Bramble if we were lucky and Andy O'Brien if we weren't.

Our defensive record was better when it was O’Brien alongside Woodgate rather than Bramble.

Just shows you how good Woodgate was, he even made O'Brien look competent.

As good as Fernandez has been he will play Lascelles and Lejeune when fit.  Lascelles is still young and likely to improve so makes sense to start him ahead of a 30 year old. I'd like to see more of Schar too

I'd sell Clark and whatever he brings on get a left back a position we've needed to strengthen since Enrique left.