Centre Back Options

[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

We've got a good bunch, that's for sure.

You could also put this in the Rafa thread, because coaching is a huge aspect, but one thing that has been disappointing this season is our set pieces, for and against. We've conceded loads from them, again against Bournemouth, and not really threatened in spite of Lascelles and Fernandez being good targets and Ritchie and Shelvey being good strikers of the ball. For all our striker troubles, we've scored eight times from open play, which is only one fewer than Tottenham (!) Unlike them, we missed the one pen we got and have done little with set pieces. As it happens, our games feature joint most corners by both teams, so all the more reason to improve at them.

https://www.windrawwin.com/statistics/corners/england-premier-league/

To be honest I'm broadly of the school of thought that spending big money on CBs is a false economy anyway, at least at the bottom end of things. If you're coaching a defensively minded side it's possible to get a lot from a little.

Big money on defenders is only really justified when you're getting somebody absolutely out of this world as a footballer and athlete, and they're being bought to play in a side where you need to be excellent at that. I doubted the money at the time but van Dijk is probably an example of this.

Agree to a point. I actually think it's very difficult to find defenders that are good at the basics 98% of the time. Marking, heading, pushing up etc.

think the key to the bold bit is that you have to be coaching them well to achieve this, pardew coached a defensively minded setup and we were a fucking shambles

also at this sort of level rafa is making it very clear that one of them being able to play with the ball at his feet as well is paramount

And my point is a lot of basic defending is difficult to coach. There were times Colo would only win 40% of his aerial duals. It's hard to defend with performances like that.

We've had defenders terrible at some basic aspects of defending for a long time at this club from Janmaat, Santon, Willo, Colo at times etc.

Although I agree, Rafa is tremendous at organising a defence.

The rest of the teams down at the bottom - are just defensive. Even Burnley and Brighton depend a lot on "will and desire" rather than genuine good defending a lot of the time. Apparently Huddersfield don't concede as many genuine GS'ing opportunities or shots in the box as one might expect too.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I think we need another ball playing centre-back in the summer. Take either one of Lejeune or Schar out and it takes a lot out of how we play. One of the best things about us at the moment is that we have the ability to play out from left and right. Lascelles and Fernandez is fine for the central spot but we need someone better who can just slot in for one of the other two without having to change the way we play.

I think we need another ball playing centre-back in the summer. Take either one of Lejeune or Schar out and it takes a lot out of how we play. One of the best things about us at the moment is that we have the ability to play out from left and right. Lascelles and Fernandez is fine for the central spot but we need someone better who can just slot in for one of the other two without having to change the way we play.

Agree love our back 3 :smitten:

Be lucky to get another ball playing defender in our price range so lucky to even have 2 of that type for the money we payed :lol:

IF Rafa added Bartra from Betis to our collection though :pedro:

Interesting that Mbemba has barely played for Porto this season

Reckon he was just brought in as back up for now tbf, and his early injury won't have helped matters given the need for consistency in his position. The other options they have are far more experienced too, in Pepe and Felipe, both of whom have been playing well by all accounts.