Miguel Almirón

Deuce

The Eales breakdown of selling a 100m player is an over simplification.  You do need to account for the following years costs. Chelsea will need to keep selling. Villa keep selling A1 prospects.  Neither of these avenues are good or even sustainable long term. Both teams need CL football regularly (particularly Chelsea).  

The ideal is selling fringe players and good but not good enough youth players. 

16 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

This is correct.  The key is driving long-term revenues. Gate receipts, prize money, sponsorship, TV rights.  

You can’t just keep flipping your best players.  

Where Spurs succeeded is they started qualifying for the CL regularly (and they built the stadium). The revenues from that drives everything else up.  Where Leicester failed is they didn’t qualify for the CL consistently.  There’s a few sliding door moments for Leicester but not getting CL in atleast one of those 2 seasons under Rodger’s are 2 of them.  They did nearly everything else how it should be done. 

This is why I’m certain we will be moving stadium, it’s not the 50k normal fans that will make money , it’s the hospitality, Old Toilet and the emirates have double the hospitality we have, that’s where the money is. 

Edited by nufcnick

Hopefully this affront to humanity is given hell on Saturday. Darts, bricks, songs about blowing up his kids and parents. The lot. What he has done is unforgivable.

Brighton have proved you can build a competitive team, strong scouting network, etc with positive net transfers. 

If they can do it, we should do it. Its a longer project, but I would be personally ok to be patient if that was the model 

1 minute ago, arnonel said:

Brighton have proved you can build a competitive team, strong scouting network, etc with positive net transfers. 

If they can do it, we should do it. Its a longer project, but I would be personally ok to be patient if that was the model 

They’ve not yet qualified for the CL and are in Europe for the first time. 

They are don’t have 2 £50m+ players and several more over £30m. We aren’t playing the Brighton game. 

Their owner also owns the data company that houses their transfer algorithm.  

2 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

They’ve not yet qualified for the CL and are in Europe for the first time. 

They are don’t have 2 £50m+ players and several more over £30m. We aren’t playing the Brighton game. 

Their owner also owns the data company that houses their transfer algorithm.  

They also aren’t really trying to compete for the top, they seem happy to be in that second tier of PL clubs. 

They also have a debt to their owner of around £500M. Their model has only really took off last few years, prior to that they were buying dross under Hughton.

4 minutes ago, Menace said:

They also have a debt to their owner of around £500M. Their model has only really took off last few years, prior to that they were buying dross under Hughton.

TBF the model has taken them from L1 to the Europa League.

The model wasn't always hitting like it is now but it did enough to keep them in the league and then get them to mid-table. Your Ben White's, Trossard's, Gross, Lamptey etc. it's good business.

Edited by The College Dropout

30 minutes ago, arnonel said:

This is always brought up as a model to follow and in some aspects I'd agree. It is worth noting that it’s not quite as investment free as is often portrayed however. Tony Bloom has invested over half a billion in Brighton to get them to where they are now. As others have also said I don’t see them actually trying to go for cups or titles yet either, so are they happy to stay where they are? Or are they going to invest heavily again to try and push on?

7 minutes ago, Ghandis Flip-Flop said:

This is always brought up as a model to follow and in some aspects I'd agree. It is worth noting that it’s not quite as investment free as is often portrayed however. Tony Bloom has invested over half a billion in Brighton to get them to where they are now. As others have also said I don’t see them actually trying to go for cups or titles yet either, so are they happy to stay where they are? Or are they going to invest heavily again to try and push on?

Invested in them in what way though? Infrastructure, players, staffing? 

48 minutes ago, arnonel said:

That model isn’t sustainable for what the owners want to achieve. It’s OK for the odd 6th-8th finish.

I suppose you could do this for a while but at some point a sale would be in order to replace an ageing superstar with a young superstar. There is a ceiling as noted 6-8th if you are still buying potential.

1 hour ago, The College Dropout said:

TBF the model has taken them from L1 to the Europa League.

The model wasn't always hitting like it is now but it did enough to keep them in the league and then get them to mid-table. Your Ben White's, Trossard's, Gross, Lamptey etc. it's good business.

Think De Zebri has been the key to taking them to the next level. They where no better than mid table under Potter.

21 minutes ago, Ghandis Flip-Flop said:

They are going for cups.

But they're building it, brick by brick. They can't do what our owners want to do and probably don't have the same end vision.

Bloom also "built" the Amex Stadium. That took over a decade to get done though.

2 hours ago, Shearergol said:

Invested in them in what way though? Infrastructure, players, staffing? 

A combination of all of the above and as others have suggested I think there is a significant amount of debt held against the club too. Just for clarification I’m not having a go, or diminishing their achievement at all. Just rebalancing some of the narrative out there surrounding them, that it’s been done without any significant financial investment, which is factually incorrect.

2 hours ago, Ronaldo said:

That model isn’t sustainable for what the owners want to achieve. It’s OK for the odd 6th-8th finish.

What happened at Southampton will eventually happen there. They'll have 3-4 seasons around where they are but all it takes is one summer where the summer buys don't click after selling their best players, and they crash down the table.

49 minutes ago, Matt1892 said:

I think people forget how small of a club Brighton are in football terms, I don’t mean that in a disrespectful way either as what they have done is unbelievable.

True. Until two seasons ago they had spent as much time in the 4th tier as the first. 

Over the course of their history, their average position has been about 4th in the 3rd tier. On a par with Barnsley certainly, or possibly Grimsby, Plymouth, Hull, Bradford and Rotherham. Unlike those other towns, however, Brighton has long had a booming population and economy.