Miguel Almirón

Deuce

I don't think he' a winger, inverted or otherwise, he's an inside forward who works very hard off the ball. He doesn't provide/create and is a one-dimensional player. As long as he's scoring it's fine, but when he's not, he's not doing his job as an inside-forward and the team doesn't benefit from his presence when we're in possession.

With his very high-tempo pressing and work rate, he'd be an amazing impact sub for any team at almost any level I think.

He's got 5 goals for us this season, if he can finish with 10 or more I think that's a good return for his position and I don't think we can have any complaints really.

If we want 10+ goals and a good amount of assists, you're looking at absolutely elite wide players and they don't come cheap.

46 minutes ago, gbandit said:

Olise is class like, really interesting player and clearly a maverick off the pitch too. If his attitude is good, then I’d love him here

But won’t we all just moan that he only can use his left foot?

On 16/12/2023 at 20:51, McDog said:

I thought he was solid for the first 30 minutes. Good touches, some clever moves.  He wasn't terrible to me.

Can you remember a single decent cross from him on the day? He'll run enough for two men and that's worth a hell of a lot, but his delivery is so poor most of the time. Must be really frustrating for a striker waiting on a decent ball in.

55 minutes ago, TRon said:

Can you remember a single decent cross from him on the day? He'll run enough for two men and that's worth a hell of a lot, but his delivery is so poor most of the time. Must be really frustrating for a striker waiting on a decent ball in.

It seems like all he does is cut in. He isn't the greatest at providing service into the box.

It's only a matter of time before Miggy takes a bit of a back seat (squad player) but on his day he can produce the good and his work rate and ability to scare defences adds fuel to our game overall but naturally that gets put on the back burner when he fails to deliver the goods from his energetic and speedy runs into great positions.

The main problem with Miggy is that he plays to the pattern almost 100% when on the right, there's practically no deviation from it. Even if there's space for him to attack and he has legs on his opponent, it's still most often the same move which really slows us down.

And his lack of right peg too [emoji38]

Edited by Gallowgate Toon

6 minutes ago, Gallowgate Toon said:

The main problem with Miggy is that he plays to the pattern almost 100% when on the right, there's practically no deviation from it. Even if there's space for him to attack and he has legs on his opponent, it's still most often the same move which really slows us down.

And his lack of right peg too [emoji38]

Yeah his lack of any use of his right foot is no good like, not at this level. 

14 hours ago, HawK said:

I don't think he' a winger, inverted or otherwise, he's an inside forward who works very hard off the ball. He doesn't provide/create and is a one-dimensional player. As long as he's scoring it's fine, but when he's not, he's not doing his job as an inside-forward and the team doesn't benefit from his presence when we're in possession.

With his very high-tempo pressing and work rate, he'd be an amazing impact sub for any team at almost any level I think.

He's got 5 goals for us this season, if he can finish with 10 or more I think that's a good return for his position and I don't think we can have any complaints really.

If we want 10+ goals and a good amount of assists, you're looking at absolutely elite wide players and they don't come cheap.

I don't agree. There's a level or 2 between Miggy and "absolutely elite". West Ham signed Bowen a few years back, they've also signed Kudus for £30m who has 9 goals in all comps. Chelsea signed Cole Palmer for £45m odd. Szob was what? £60m he's a step above. Kulu at Spurs. Leeds got Raphinha those years ago. Olise looks a talent.

Miggy is limited on the ball, off it both offensively and defensively he's great. He won't be that hard to replace if his replacement is willing to graft. There's a good number of hard-working left footed attackers in the world of football with bags more ability.

I would've loved Palmer. We could do with another passer and creator.

Miggy has a place in this squad for some time though.

His complete reliance on his left foot is really irking me.

There was an opportunity tonight to use his right foot, can’t remember whether for a shot or cross, and he just did what he normally does, drag back onto his left foot.

Upgrade required sooner rather than later in my opinion. Decent squad player going forward if he’s happy with that role.

Not to mention that daft shot from a tight angle at the end.

He has played 8 games in under a month and and have played nearly every single minute of them. In every game he has been non-stop running. Lets give him a little benefit of doubt that it may have impacting his decision making and finishing ability. 

7 hours ago, Minhosa said:

Understandable Trippier getting stick tonight but fuck me, why didn’t this guy run that ball into the corner rather than fucking shooting from an impossible angle man?!?

Yeah very frustrating, what was he doing ffs and similar to Joelinton crossing v Liverpool away when he should’ve taken it to the corner. I think we still lacks players with that nous and experience to see games out. Chelsea away when Havaertz scored at the death too. I think as our quality of player improves we’ll see less of this. We fail to close out too many of these type of games. 

Miggy is knackered though with Barnes and Murphy out who would’ve been coming on with 20-25 to go and even starting some games.

Edited by ExiledGeordie

There was a moment late on where we had a rare instant of trying to press and he was literally scampering to try closing down and was getting nowhere near. He's never been the best technically anyway, now he's shattered as well, this is inevitable we'll get performances like this.

7 hours ago, Minhosa said:

Understandable Trippier getting stick tonight but fuck me, why didn’t this guy run that ball into the corner rather than fucking shooting from an impossible angle man?!?

Ironically it was the one time we needed him to be on his right foot