The other games today 2019/20

Greg

Not often you see a goal that you’ve not seen beforehand, I couldn’t understand how it went in when I first saw it. Absolutely obscene technique.

———

Neymar is claiming he was racially abused by OM player(s).

I watched the last half hour of the Spurs game, and they really were bad. No spirit, belief, leadership, fight.

Is Mourinho a busted flush? He has a big club all right, but if you've managed Man U, Real, and won League titles and Champions Leagues, Spurs are a step down. It can't be easy to motivate yourself in the same way as when your career is on the up.

It just feels like a square peg in a round hole. Mourinho is a winner, for the most part, and Spurs have rarely won anything. They have a squad full of players who are not of the mentality Mourinho has been working with previously and as a result they aren't responding to what he is saying or doing. We've probably all become experts in Spurs from watching All or Nothing but I think he comes across very well but it seems obvious to me that the squad has no leaders. Kane might be their best player but that doesn't make him a leader, he's not particularly inspiring. If you could offer a defence, they were off the pace today as many teams will be in the first few weeks - Liverpool were bang average yesterday but their key man stepped up when it mattered, I know it was two penalties but he was their sharpest player on the pitch by a mile.

The formation Mourinho is using seems needlessly elaborate though. Doherty (and previously Aurier) is so high up you've then essentially got a back three but with a gaping hole down the right when they lose possession. I guess Sissoko is meant to cover there but why not just play an actual right back? It's a strange hill to die on and for what? To get your right back playing further forward?

Guest Cheesy Beans

It was a strange move for Mourinho imo - Poch had a group of players over performing and they’re always eventually going to revert to type. There’s also always very limited transfer/wage budget available at Spurs.

But then again, success for Spurs would probably be top 4 and a cup win, that’s not totally impossible to imagine under Mourinho. They could win the Europa too which would cover both bases. 

Everton looked good, like. All of their signings look like they could take them from upper mid-table to at least on par with Leicester & Wolves and Pickford was dominant. They’ve got a pretty kind start to the season as well, could be in the top 2 or 3 going into the derby next month.

Been watching The Sopranos and, in season 6, Phil Leotardo describes the five families of New York, and a glorified crew in Jersey.

Seems to me that's what the "Top Six" is like at the moment - five top teams, and a sixth who is included for... reasons.

Guest Howaythetoon

Been watching The Sopranos and, in season 6, Phil Leotardo describes the five families of New York, and a glorified crew in Jersey.

Seems to me that's what the "Top Six" is like at the moment - five top teams, and a sixth who is included for... reasons.

HOO

Slander if you ask me!

I watched the last half hour of the Spurs game, and they really were bad. No spirit, belief, leadership, fight.

Is Mourinho a busted flush? He has a big club all right, but if you've managed Man U, Real, and won League titles and Champions Leagues, Spurs are a step down. It can't be easy to motivate yourself in the same way as when your career is on the up.

It just feels like a square peg in a round hole. Mourinho is a winner, for the most part, and Spurs have rarely won anything. They have a squad full of players who are not of the mentality Mourinho has been working with previously and as a result they aren't responding to what he is saying or doing. We've probably all become experts in Spurs from watching All or Nothing but I think he comes across very well but it seems obvious to me that the squad has no leaders. Kane might be their best player but that doesn't make him a leader, he's not particularly inspiring. If you could offer a defence, they were off the pace today as many teams will be in the first few weeks - Liverpool were bang average yesterday but their key man stepped up when it mattered, I know it was two penalties but he was their sharpest player on the pitch by a mile.

The formation Mourinho is using seems needlessly elaborate though. Doherty (and previously Aurier) is so high up you've then essentially got a back three but with a gaping hole down the right when they lose possession. I guess Sissoko is meant to cover there but why not just play an actual right back? It's a strange hill to die on and for what? To get your right back playing further forward?

They had the air of a team that has already peaked. They need a signing that will set things alight again - like Fernandes at Man U.

They've fallen behind Leicester and Wolves now imo and are in the Everton bracket.

Didn't realise we had them a week on Sunday, could be an interesting match. Should we beat Brighton next week at home the pressure will be off us. They've got a tricky game at Southampton who won't want to start with two losses, as well as a euro qualifier and their EFL Cup game to contend with before our game. Being positive feels weird.

They had the air of a team that has already peaked. They need a signing that will set things alight again - like Fernandes at Man U.

Looks to me more like that other teams have sussed out his tactics which were revolutionary in his first Chelsea spell. He came in with a system that was different when most were still on 442, using a 451/433 hybrid which few teams could cope with. Now however most use similar or a slight variation on it so it's not as effective anymore

It's almost as if signing players from Southampton and Wolves is a bad transfer policy for a side aspiring for top 4.

This is a weird point of view.

In isolation I mean. Obviously, players like Van Dijk are an exception.

It just seems as though a lack of ambition has taken them over.

It's almost as if signing players from Southampton and Wolves is a bad transfer policy for a side aspiring for top 4.

That's how most top sides are built though, buying good players on the up from sides below you, unless you've got a blank chequebook.

Mane came from Southampton as well, Liverpool got Robertson from Hull, Henderson from the mackems, Wijnaldum from us. Who are Spurs meant to buy from if 7th placed Wolves are too shite?

That's how most top sides are built though, buying good players on the up from sides below you, unless you've got a blank chequebook.

Mane came from Southampton as well, Liverpool got Robertson from Hull, Henderson from the mackems, Wijnaldum from us. Who are Spurs meant to buy from if 7th placed Wolves are too shite?

You make a compelling arguement Wullie. I concede.

I think when you look at it, Everton have made the better business this summer. Spurs needed that James type in the middle.

I know it may not be to some but top four is a trophy to me. Poch finished second, third and even fourth in the Champions League final season. Levy essentially fired him for not winning the league cup!

He fired him because they started terribly last season like

I know it may not be to some but top four is a trophy to me. Poch finished second, third and even fourth in the Champions League final season. Levy essentially fired him for not winning the league cup!

He fired him because they started terribly last season like

which is shit pathetic loyalty to the man who got you in the top four places three-four seasons in a row. That squad still made top six at the end. They would have turned it around eventually.