Brighton 1 - 1 Newcastle United - 27/04/19 - Post-match reaction from page 15

BlueStar

Not sure how we failed to punish Brighton but maybe being without Lejeune, Lascelles, Almiron and then Perez might have been one key injury too far for us.

Kenedy man, absolutely loved him. He even started the season well v Spurs iirc and has then mentally just gone. Doesn’t even give a shit about playing for us anymore for whatever reason but he looked a £30m player and now he barely looks worth a punt if he was cheap.

Hayden aside I’m not sure any of our players in that second half looked even remotely bothered.

Aye, with those players on the field, I reckon we go in at least 2-0 up there and probably no way back into the game for them.

Never mind though, pretty comfortable point away from home.

We weren't at the races in that second half but I felt it was a lot more about Brighton throwing everything they had at us. They needed that goal desperately.

Atsu and Kenedy instead of Almiron and Perez left our shape completely all over the place. Can't wait to see the back of Kenedy in-particular; largely appalling again.

Surely that has been the case in all their recent games but they have created sweet fa. That second half was terrible against a woefull team.

Haven't seen enough of them to know but they played well in that second half with the crowd right behind them. They deserved the point because of their general scrapping and executing a good bit of play. Not gonna slate our lads; lots of key players missing and we understandably weren't at full tilt. I can see why folks might disapprove of that but meh, it does happen at this stage of the season and we still got the point.

One thing I'll say.

There's a fucking stark difference in our defending when we go from controlling the game to needlessly backing off then there is when we start defensive. We're always pathetic and unorganised when it happens.

Yup. Once we start we don't ever get out of it either, total switch in mentality.

Not sure how we failed to punish Brighton but maybe being without Lejeune, Lascelles, Almiron and then Perez might have been one key injury too far for us.

Kenedy man, absolutely loved him. He even started the season well v Spurs iirc and has then mentally just gone. Doesn’t even give a s*** about playing for us anymore for whatever reason but he looked a £30m player and now he barely looks worth a punt if he was cheap.

Hayden aside I’m not sure any of our players in that second half looked even remotely bothered.

Aye, with those players on the field, I reckon we go in at least 2-0 up there and probably no way back into the game for them.

Never mind though, pretty comfortable point away from home.

Don’t think Murray gets that basic header for the assist with Lascelles on the pitch either.

First half Brighton were there for the taking. We didn't play well, they just gave us all the time in the world on the ball. Only ourselves to blame. Second half we were awful and lucky they didn't nick a winner. Probably a fair result for two sides with no craft or invention whatsoever. We look like we're on the beach now.

Guest firetotheworks

Best player injured, Perez off injured, nothing to play for, away, against a team fighting relegation that we've often lost to. A point's fine for me in those circumstances.

Loved our goal as well.

Considering we had half the first team out - Lascelles, Lejeune, Longstaff, Almiron and Perez for most of the game a point is not a bad result. Should have finished them off in the first half though. Kenedy's utter shitness didn't help either.

Difference was Brighton had some decent subs to call on, most notably that of Knockeart, whereas like I said, outside our first 11 we're mostly trash. People forgetting how bad we were before Almiron came in and Perez found form, this is just a reminder of why we need to build a squad still.

Can hardly blame Rafa when his choices for replacing an injured Ayoze are dumb or dumber! A bit of a meh meaningless game, we all want to finish as high as we can, but we're safe, Brighton needed the points more and it showed. A point away from home against a team fighting for survival is nothing to be ashamed of, just frustrating after that first half.

Difference was Brighton had some decent subs to call on, most notably that of Knockeart, whereas like I said, outside our first 11 we're mostly trash. People forgetting how bad we were before Almiron came in and Perez found form, this is just a reminder of why we need to build a squad still.

Can hardly blame Rafa when his choices for replacing an injured Ayoze are dumb or dumber! A bit of a meh meaningless game, we all want to finish as high as we can, but we're safe, Brighton needed the points more and it showed. A point away from home against a team fighting for survival is nothing to be ashamed of, just frustrating after that first half.

Shame he picked Dumber.

Don't know if it's the mood I'm in but don't get this "it's ok, was a meaningless game" chat.

We all want Newcastle to win, I just don't get being upset over a meaningless game. The season is over for us more or less its all about getting Benitez to sign a new contract now.

Don't know if it's the mood I'm in but don't get this "it's ok, was a meaningless game" chat.

We all want Newcastle to win, I just don't get being upset over a meaningless game. The season is over for us more or less its all about getting Benitez to sign a new contract now.

Safe or not, I'd much rather we compete for 10th instead of settling for 16th.