Joelinton

Stifler

If we need to sell players to improve the squad and those players need to be of a certain standard and value in order for the fee received to be significant, JL would be my 1st choice.

He’s very good but I think there are better ball players and better positional sense out there.

11 minutes ago, ohmelads said:

Suspect it's simpler than that. We're haggling with his agent over a new deal and this looks like the club's way of saying "the offer on the table is our last and we're serious so if you don't sign, we'll be forced to sell in summer". Would be gutted to lose him but this does look like a game of brinkmanship.

Yup, I think it means we've reached the public stage of contract negotiations. Not ideal, but also not really out of the ordinary. I think he'll end up signing unless Bruno's future becomes a factor.

58 minutes ago, Beren said:

It's uncharacteristically Pardewy if we're being honest.

Especially combined with being overtly flattered Bayern are interested in one of our players.

I, for one, would be honoured etc. etc.

1 hour ago, Stottie said:

Just a guess, but Casemiro replacement for Man U?

If it brings money in, which is reinvested and turbocharged the way FFP allows, then it's probably a punt we have to take.

Urgh.

I do understand and agree with the pragmatism in theory. But Joelinton is one of the few who I can't seem to look at and go 'yeah it was never gonna last'. And I know it's just an example but to Man U? :anguish:

I thought the Trippier talk simply didn't make sense in terms of value-for-money. Almiron is more of an it's a shame but I see the end goal. But Big Joe going would just straight up make me sad. 

Might be reading too much into things, but could Dan 'still hasn't said a word, so is he staying or going. I need to know, NOW' Ashworth be unsettling Big Joe ahead of both their respective moves to Man Utd? 

I'm sure it'll get sorted, but if not, it would be a huge misstep to let Big Joe go. As well as being the embodiment of the club's rise from the dust over the last few years, he's easily our most dynamic player. It'll be difficult to find a player who adequately replaces what he brings. 

22 minutes ago, TBG said:

Might be reading too much into things, but could Dan 'still hasn't said a word, so is he staying or going. I need to know, NOW' Ashworth be unsettling Big Joe ahead of both their respective moves to Man Utd? 

yes, yes you are

1 hour ago, Upthemags said:

Not overly attached to Big Joe staying. He'll fetch a large fee for us and doesn't seem to have physical robustness to be able to stay on the pitch for a meaningful stretch of games.

Seriously? He has played 32, 35, 31 and 38 games for us in the league in the past four seasons. Are we really declaring every player that gets injured this season a sicknote without looking at the previous seasons?

Edited by Pata

1 minute ago, Pata said:

Seriously? He has played 32, 35, 31 and 38 games for us in the league in the past four seasons. Are we really declaring every player that gets injured this season a sicknote without looking at the previous seasons`?

I love a man who does a bit of research.

1 hour ago, Lotus said:

If we need to sell players to improve the squad and those players need to be of a certain standard and value in order for the fee received to be significant, JL would be my 1st choice.

He’s very good but I think there are better ball players and better positional sense out there.

Agree with you for the most part but I think we're still unlocking his potential as a midfielder. Would be very sad to see him go as I don't think we've seen the best of him yet but wouldn't agree with putting him with the top earners just yet, maybe give a contract with a lot of incentives.

33 minutes ago, TBG said:

tripping love and hip hop GIF by VH1

9 minutes ago, Bimpy474 said:

I love a man who does a bit of research.

Was suspended for three matches last season too iirc. Incredible.

43 minutes ago, TBG said:

I heard Dan keeps editing our offer to £50,000 and whispering he can get him £200,000 from Man U in a few months.

14 minutes ago, Pata said:

Seriously? He has played 32, 35, 31 and 38 games for us in the league in the past four seasons. Are we really declaring every player that gets injured this season a sicknote without looking at the previous seasons`?

@Upthemags - we're waiting..

1 hour ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

What are you on about? :lol:

Just seems completely unnecessary to discuss this level of detail with the press.

Feels a bit small time. If we're looking to attract top level talent this summer, this is not sending the right message about our ambitions to prospective players IMO.

It's uncharacteristic, like I said, but weird all the same.

Best case scenario this is all orchestrated with Joelinton's consent, and that they're seeking to stop other clubs marking up their players and charging NUFC a rich-owner premia whenever we are looking to buy players. 

Otherwise feels a bit Pardewy.

5 minutes ago, Beren said:

Just seems completely unnecessary to discuss this level of detail with the press.

Feels a bit small time. If we're looking to attract top level talent this summer, this is not sending the right message about our ambitions to prospective players IMO.

It's uncharacteristic, like I said, but weird all the same.

I don't think so. Everyone knows he has a year left in his contract next summer and we are never letting him walk for free in the summer after that. I see it as a message to Joelinton and his agent that he will be sold if things don't advance in the coming months and I'm certain he doesn't want that either. 

Pardew was doing this with anyone who was good, no matter how long they had left in their contracts.

Edited by Pata

26 minutes ago, Andy said:

I'm sure it'll get sorted, but if not, it would be a huge misstep to let Big Joe go. As well as being the embodiment of the club's rise from the dust over the last few years, he's easily our most dynamic player. It'll be difficult to find a player who adequately replaces what he brings. 

I've always defended Joelinton, he's got a lot of attributes, but he's also pish in front of goal. It might be he's looking to run down his contract and get a big pay day wherever he can. We'll have to weigh that up with getting a decent fee for him and investing that in another player. I don't think he's top level so he won't command top level wages IMO.

Pardew used to attempt to flog players and openly discuss their release clauses when they still had 3-4 years left on their contract. He'd do it after a win in his post match presser. 

Howe's talked about it when he's actually been asked about a players contract who's expiring in 12 months or so. Totally different, remember Fergie doing the same when Rooney was arsing around with his contract.