Joelinton

Stifler

I have no doubt if we had signed Firmino, we would have been shitting on him too with such gems like: what's all this false 9 business!, he's not 'striking' right!, get in the box man!, work harder!, more passion!, so what if we have 20% possession score goals!. Firmino gets 11 goals a season in that Liverpool team, he certainly wouldn't get more than 3 under Bruce in our setup that's for sure.

We have a talented young striker we just spent £40 million on who is struggling, and instead of looking at what type of player he is and asking why he is not being put in the right situation to even have a chance to succeed by our genius manager, everyone's lambasting the guy because he's not having success in a team with hardly any possession that launches balls at him from 50 yards. Just perfect.

:thup: :thup: :thup:

I have no doubt if we had signed Firmino, we would have been shitting on him too with such gems like: what's all this false 9 business!, he's not 'striking' right!, get in the box man!, work harder!, more passion!, so what if we have 20% possession score goals!. Firmino gets 11 goals a season in that Liverpool team, he certainly wouldn't get more than 3 under Bruce in our setup that's for sure.

We have a talented young striker we just spent £40 million on who is struggling, and instead of looking at what type of player he is and asking why he is not being put in the right situation to even have a chance to succeed by our genius manager, everyone's lambasting the guy because he's not having success in a team with hardly any possession that launches balls at him from 50 yards. Just perfect.

A very easy way to counter the argument from the first line would be to mention that Firmino actually closes players down when they have the ball. Joelinton doesn't. He also makes intelligent runs. Joelinton doesn't. He also has the ability to strike the ball cleanly. Joelinton doesn't.

Look, we all know that under a different manager using a completely different system and a completely different team, Joelinton would look better than he does. But next time he's through on goal and gently passes is to their keeper, are fans expected to react with "ooh, unlucky, if only the poor guy had a better manager playing to his strengths, he would be sticking that in the bottom corner"?

A very easy way to counter the argument from the first line would be to mention that Firmino actually closes players down when they have the ball. Joelinton doesn't. He also makes intelligent runs. Joelinton doesn't. He also has the ability to strike the ball cleanly. Joelinton doesn't.

Look, we all know that under a different manager using a completely different system and a completely different team, Joelinton would look better than he does. But next time he's through on goal and gently passes is to their keeper, are fans expected to react with "ooh, unlucky, if only the poor guy had a better manager playing to his strengths, he would be sticking that in the bottom corner"?

Nailed it.

Regardless of the price tag or what he could be, he's just not good enough right now, which is all we should really care about. Similar situation to Mitrovic when he was here.

Given the replies to this and the responses Kaka has had for not absolutely slating the lad and saying he’s shite reminds me of Thauvin in almost every way. A young player new to the league asked to play in an unfamiliar position by a poor manager in system that didn’t suite him. I can’t remember a player that got more stick from the fan base at the time, a couple of years later he’s in the French team with all of their attacking options.

I don’t think anyone in the right mind would try and suggest Joelinton has been anything other than terrible. I also don’t think you’re really stretching to suggest there’s a good player there somewhere, like Thauvin. Getting the best out of him and whether that’ll happen here seems increasingly unlikely though.

Really don’t think we paid £40m for him. We somehow managed to inflate the fee probably for the work permit and PR but in real terms he cost £8-12m.

In terms of the transfer fee removing the performance elements, our record signings are:

1. Wilson

2. ASM

3. Owen

4. Shearer

5. Wijnaldum

Really don’t think we paid £40m for him. We somehow managed to inflate the fee probably for the work permit and PR but in real terms he cost £8-12m.

In terms of the transfer fee removing the performance elements, our record signings are:

1. Wilson

2. ASM

3. Owen

4. Shearer

5. Wijnaldum

based on....?

Given the replies to this and the responses Kaka has had for not absolutely slating the lad and saying he’s shite reminds me of Thauvin in almost every way. A young player new to the league asked to play in an unfamiliar position by a poor manager in system that didn’t suite him. I can’t remember a player that got more stick from the fan base at the time, a couple of years later he’s in the French team with all of their attacking options.

I don’t think anyone in the right mind would try and suggest Joelinton has been anything other than terrible. I also don’t think you’re really stretching to suggest there’s a good player there somewhere, like Thauvin. Getting the best out of him and whether that’ll happen here seems increasingly unlikely though.

Thauvin had plenty people supporting him, particularly on here. In fact I think the majority of people (on here) recognised he was class.

1. Wilson

2. ASM

3. Owen

4. Shearer

5. Wijnaldum

based on....?

And even with this logic, shouldn't Almiron be #1?

1. Wilson

2. ASM

3. Owen

4. Shearer

5. Wijnaldum

based on....?

And even with this logic, shouldn't Almiron be #1?

Sorry Almiron is at number 4 and Shearer 5

The whole transfer makes no sense. How come he cost a £40m transfer fee? Based on his career up to coming to Newcastle at least £25m of that fee could only be for 'future potential'. Who scouted him and thought he could play as a lone striker in the Premier League? How does he go from being a supporting player to the forwards for Hoffenheim to number 9 at Newcastle?

Based on what I've seen I couldn't tell you what his best position would be. Maybe as a number 10 behind the striker but we've got better options ahead of him for that role.

The only explanation now is when joelinton was asked if he was a striker he replied in German and a confused Bruce gave him the hallowed shirt.

Decent.

Thanks. I thought I may have needed a spoiler

I feel that the biggest influence on his perceived lack of ability is that he looks like he just doesn't fancy it. He's clearly not putting in much effort and hasn't been for a long time, and whether or not he has the right to feel he was dealt a bad hand by signing for us is irrelevant; it's still down to him to deal with it. Where others would have chosen to play for themselves and put the effort in for the sake of their own career, he's chosen to give up and feel sorry for himself.

ASM signed to the same club at the same time, and approached the situation totally differently. There were large portions of the season where he was labelled as having no end product, so he was presented with the same options Joelinton was faced with, i.e. give up or keep going. He chose the latter and he's proved to be one of our most important players.

There was a period of play against Blackburn yesterday shortly after ASM had come in which he, at full sprint, chased the ball as it was passed continuously around their backline. At the risk of hyperbole (but you get the point) - he probably covered more ground in that sequence than Joelinton did in the entire half!

I suspect Joelinton could go to another club under circumstances he fancies, and we'll see a much improved player, however this is why I have little sympathy for him - he's not helped himself here.

If, of course, I am wrong and it's nothing to do with effort, then I can't see any other explanation than that he's just a poor player. The version of Joelinton we have doesn't have any considerable qualities to warrant even a place on the bench.

The whole transfer makes no sense. How come he cost a £40m transfer fee? Based on his career up to coming to Newcastle at least £25m of that fee could only be for 'future potential'. Who scouted him and thought he could play as a lone striker in the Premier League? How does he go from being a supporting player to the forwards for Hoffenheim to number 9 at Newcastle?

Based on what I've seen I couldn't tell you what his best position would be. Maybe as a number 10 behind the striker but we've got better options ahead of him for that role.

its bizarre.

rafa turns down a £40m striker - u think ashley would have been delighted, but then he does something even more bizarre and unheard of.... he puts in £20m of his own money to get it done.

there is a lot more to this transfer than meets the eye.

Want nothing more then Joelinton to be the next big thing and enjoy watching a 40m Brazilian attacker. But it’s never working here IMO. Under Bruce or whoever his successor would be. Joelinton doesn’t have the mentality to rise to the occasion and use his talent. Shame.

He's not up to it or up for it . He's languid, doesn't work for the team and has no feel for the position he's been signed to play. He was clean through against Blackburn twice last night one went straight at the keeper and the other he went down far too easily. Yes, it's bruceball and yes, the transfer is dodgy as (smells of when players were signed to do favours for agents) but based purely on the football this lad's had a full season here and looks completely lost and disinterested.