Joelinton

Stifler

Endless industry and athleticism, but I do still feel that Joelinton's skillset may be most effectively utilised out wide, at least for certain games (when we're facing a low block, potentially?). He's a very viable runner, probably even a little underrated technically too but a lack of creativity in the middle is a concern, especially with Bruno playing deeper. Which is awkward, considering LW seems to be the preferred position for both Gordon and Barnes. You'd imagine Willock will be competing for his position when he returns but last season they dovetailed together really well on many occasions on the left. 

For me there’s times he still looks like a forward out of position when he goes diving in giving away clumsy fouls. It’s really infuriating when he gives away dangerous free kicks and yellow cards, wish he’d have a bit more nous at times. I thought last season aswell, so I’m not being reactionary. As said, his athleticism and some of his link up play is very valuable but Willock was always a starter when fit in my mind down that left centre mid. Until then, I’d have Longstaff in to replace him just to add more stability, get Tonali deep as a 6 and Bruno further up. 

Just now, Gate4 said:

No shit he's lost, he's not a midfielder. Let's see how much shit it will take for everyone to accept that.

Worked fine last season, but do think he plays his best when him and Willock can change position. 

2 minutes ago, Flip said:

Worked fine last season, but do think he plays his best when him and Willock can change position. 

Agreed, looked much better at LW with Willock behind him, so that he’d just drop in when Willock pushed forward.  I don’t think he looks at his best just as a MF

He was charging down opposition and playing one twos with Willock but doesn’t have the ball retention skills or passing range when he’s not receiving the ball holding off a defender and passing into an on rushing Willocks path. Think he’s good in that specific role but not outside of it.

12 minutes ago, Flip said:

Can't remember him ever looking great in the centre last season, he occasionally "did a job" there, but for me it stifles his game as he tries to be more positionally-disciplined when he's in that role. Playing on the left gives him the freedom to just charge about and hunt people down, as well as allowing him to make those runs in behind which he's good at due to his physicality.  

At the moment it feels like we're trying to shoehorn Gordon into the team at Joelinton's expense. This is a big problem that Eddie needs to solve. 

He's definitely better with Willock in the side too but it's harsh to say he's never performed well at CM. He clearly had a lot of very good games there. 

Longstaff did a lot of the dirty work and covered for both Trippier bombing on and Bruno moving into that right side to link up with Almiron and Trippier. It seems we want Tonali to play a different role getting into the box and influencing play in the final third more.

It seems thats at the expense of Tripper getting forward as much and it's kind of had a knock on effect for the rest of the midfield too. With the current options it seems it's probably best to get Longstaff back in that role and play Tonali on the left of the three.

34 minutes ago, Andy said:

Can't remember him ever looking great in the centre last season, he occasionally "did a job" there, but for me it stifles his game as he tries to be more positionally-disciplined when he's in that role. Playing on the left gives him the freedom to just charge about and hunt people down, as well as allowing him to make those runs in behind which he's good at due to his physicality.  

At the moment it feels like we're trying to shoehorn Gordon into the team at Joelinton's expense. This is a big problem that Eddie needs to solve. 

Swap Gordon and Almiron, drop Almiron?

This is why these aren’t my calls of course :) 

14 hours ago, Jaqen said:

He's definitely better with Willock in the side too but it's harsh to say he's never performed well at CM. He clearly had a lot of very good games there. 

Longstaff did a lot of the dirty work and covered for both Trippier bombing on and Bruno moving into that right side to link up with Almiron and Trippier. It seems we want Tonali to play a different role getting into the box and influencing play in the final third more.

It seems thats at the expense of Tripper getting forward as much and it's kind of had a knock on effect for the rest of the midfield too. With the current options it seems it's probably best to get Longstaff back in that role and play Tonali on the left of the three.

In the 21/22 season he did fine at CM, but last season? I can't remember him having many stand out performances in the middle last season, but he had some amazing displays at the wing.

I feel like Joelintons passing ability in tight areas is a weakness for him, which is not that much of a weakness out wide. For a central midfielder it's more of a liability.

Edited by Erikse

No, you don't understand. You see, the player who's played in our midfield for 18 months, been player of the season 2 years running and is now in the Brazil squad as a result, well he isn't actually a midfielder. :lol:

Edited by Kid Icarus

1 minute ago, Kid Icarus said:

No, you don't understand. You see, our midfielder who's beem player of the season 2 years running and is now in the Brazil squad as a midfielder, well he isn't actually a midfielder. :lol:

He looks better in an aggressive press, winning balls, tracking back, being a nuisance.

He hasn't done that against three strong teams but then I thinka that's back to the team being more passive in their play.

If Joe had been running around like he does there would have been holes in our play 

Some stats from last season. Counting games where he played more than 45 minutes.

Joelinton at LW: 7-3-0 (GD 23-4) (4 goals 1 assist)

Joelinton at CM: 4-9-5 (GD 24-23) (2 goals 1 assist)

Since the start of last season we've won 5 out of 22 games with Joelinton playing at CM.

Edited by Erikse