Allan Saint-Maximin (now playing for Al-Ahli)

Disco

Guest neesy111
50 minutes ago, Beth said:

Based on the fact he's been the only player to go backwards since we got shot of Bruce. Or do you disagree?

He hasn't went backwards, just the team has improved and needed to be less relliant on him thankfully.

On 22/07/2022 at 15:23, Nine said:

Howe mentioned lately how we actually do have a little depth up top as ASM can play centrally to, although I personally think he’s absolutely dogshit playing through the middle (Cambridge) it seems like Howe may try and utilise him in more than just his LW position. 

It probably doesn't work in games where we have more possession but still think he had a really good game against Liverpool at Anfield playing as a CF. His lack of defending doesn't get exposed and he will create at least few half-chances out of loose balls every game and he gets to run at CBs more often.

12 hours ago, Howeay said:

He is the only quality we have on the wing, Fraser Almiron and Murphy just run around doing not a lot, we need to get rid of them before Maxi.

Aye but MiGgY IS GaNnA HaVe A gReAt SeAsOn CoZ he ScOReD aGaINsT GaTesHeAD aNd bUrNlEy mIx n MaTcH x11

4 hours ago, JonBez comesock said:

Aye but MiGgY IS GaNnA HaVe A gReAt SeAsOn CoZ he ScOReD aGaINsT GaTesHeAD aNd bUrNlEy mIx n MaTcH x11

Can someone explain to me the significance as to why some words are written in a mixture of lower and upper case?  I've seen it in a number of posts and I know not why.

10 minutes ago, TorchyTBB said:

Can someone explain to me the significance as to why some words are written in a mixture of lower and upper case?  I've seen it in a number of posts and I know not why.

To mock someone or something someone has said, basically.

Stems from meme's.

17 hours ago, Howeay said:

He is the only quality we have on the wing, Fraser Almiron and Murphy just run around doing not a lot, we need to get rid of them before Maxi.

If he was genuine quality the rumours of Spurs and Chelsea interest would be true.

Guest HTT II
3 hours ago, TorchyTBB said:

pEoPLe wHo d0 R tW@tz BAsIcAlY

Edited by HTT II

3 hours ago, TRon said:

If he was genuine quality the rumours of Spurs and Chelsea interest would be true.

Dogbrain logic. So if you’re a wide forward and haven’t been the subject of a transfer bid from Spurs or Chelsea you’re not ‘quality’? Deary me. 

On 23/07/2022 at 19:12, Beth said:

Based on the fact he's been the only player to go backwards since we got shot of Bruce. Or do you disagree?

Well last season he scored 5 times and 5 assists, the season before 3 and 4.

So the better under Bruce thing is somewhat of a myth.

Whats consistent is that his end product vastly needs to improve, even for a team that struggled, those are poor numbers for someone with that talent. I don’t think I’m being overly critical with that.

There’s plenty of players who can beat a few and then give the ball away. Maxi just does it much much more stylishly so we tend to ignore it more than we should.

I think (hope) he can improve but he has to want to work on those other aspects of his game, if he doesn’t want to, nothing will change and things will fizzle out until we get a better replacement.

Time will tell, not too far away now either. He’s had a full pre season under Howe so should be fitter and we’ll see if his game has adapted.

7 hours ago, Bompeter said:

Dogbrain logic. So if you’re a wide forward and haven’t been the subject of a transfer bid from Spurs or Chelsea you’re not ‘quality’? Deary me. 

Not really sure what you are saying. Do you think Spurs or Chelsea want to buy ASM?

6 minutes ago, madras said:

Those stats mean sod all in reality. Not that he played better under o e or the other but to base it on those stats is silly.

Are you suggesting that judging a forward player on their goals or assists is silly?

It’s end product!

58 minutes ago, Dr Jinx said:

Are you suggesting that judging a forward player on their goals or assists is silly?

It’s end product!

Yes it's silly. Do you rhinknits possible for a player to have a poor game and score, it may be a miss hit, it may be the only time he hit the ball cleanly in the entire game while on another day he can be brilliant but not score ?

7 minutes ago, madras said:

Yes it's silly. Do you rhinknits possible for a player to have a poor game and score, it may be a miss hit, it may be the only time he hit the ball cleanly in the entire game while on another day he can be brilliant but not score ?

We’re not just talking about goals through are we. Goals and more importantly, assists.

They are too low.

11 minutes ago, Dr Jinx said:

We’re not just talking about goals through are we. Goals and more importantly, assists.

They are too low.

Do you never see games where the best forward player has neither scored nor made an assist ?

5 minutes ago, madras said:

Do you never see games where the best forward player has neither scored nor made an assist ?

Would Messi still have been the world’s best player if he scored 5 goals and provided 5 assists a season?

2 hours ago, Dr Jinx said:

Well last season he scored 5 times and 5 assists, the season before 3 and 4.

So the better under Bruce thing is somewhat of a myth.

Whats consistent is that his end product vastly needs to improve, even for a team that struggled, those are poor numbers for someone with that talent. I don’t think I’m being overly critical with that.

There’s plenty of players who can beat a few and then give the ball away. Maxi just does it much much more stylishly so we tend to ignore it more than we should.

I think (hope) he can improve but he has to want to work on those other aspects of his game, if he doesn’t want to, nothing will change and things will fizzle out until we get a better replacement.

Time will tell, not too far away now either. He’s had a full pre season under Howe so should be fitter and we’ll see if his game has adapted.

He scored two of those five goals in Bruce's 8 game period. 3 in 25 under Howe [I'm giving him the Brentford game]. His last goal under Howe came against Watford on Jan 15th.

3 assists under Bruce.

Edited by Happinesstan

If it was up to me I’d keep him, see how he goes up until the new year…see if goals/assists and not losing the ball in dangerous areas improves. Keep giving him paracetamols during the match for when he goes down with headaches or sore wrists (I assume from beating the shit out of the pitch every time he hits the deck) the lad obviously has talent so let’s hope he just gets better. He can be unplayable on his day. 

Based on xG+xA his best season for us was 20/21, 0.39 per 90. 3 goals and 4 assists doesn't look that great but he only played 1578 minutes compared to 2825 minutes last season when he had 0.35 xG+xA per 90. His stats are pretty consistent over all three seasons and I too think they should be better despite being a fan of his. Really hope we can sign a good RW and see how he does then.

There's not much difference between 3 goals a season and 5 goals a season in this context tbh, they both suggest a winger not really suited to scoring goals, or who is playing in a system that doesn't cater to it.

Given the fact he doesn't really contribute off the ball and gets dispossessed more times than 99% of the league, he really needs to be contributing to like ~15 goals a season. The kind of numbers Bowen and Barnes are hitting. 

I think he could do it with better players around him if he listens to the coaching staff.

Edited by Hanshithispantz

Guest reefatoon
7 hours ago, Dr Jinx said:

It’s end product!

Out of those 5 goals and 5 assists last season. How many of them were while Bruce was still in charge?

45 minutes ago, Hanshithispantz said:

I think he could do it with better players around him if he listens to the coaching staff.

My hope is that we see a much improved Maxi this season. Especially with Bruno and Wilson hopefully both alongside him in the starting XI for long periods of time this season. 

If we could get a genuine threat of ASM’s ability on the other side of Wilson were laughing all the way to a very secured top half finish. 

7 hours ago, Dr Jinx said:

Would Messi still have been the world’s best player if he scored 5 goals and provided 5 assists a season?

There's a bit of a difference between 30 odd goals a season and 4 or 5. 

You're saying a wide player who scores 5 goals a season has a better season than if he scores 3 or 4. I disagree and bringing a matter of a couple of assists is even sillier. An assist which could have been a miss kick and poor decision as opposed to not getting an assist if he takes on the entire team, plays a Zidane of a pass to a forward who misses from three inches out so no assist.

Callum Wilson had a better game V Arsenal in which he didn't score than in a good few games in which he scored. 

1 hour ago, madras said:

There's a bit of a difference between 30 odd goals a season and 4 or 5. 

You're saying a wide player who scores 5 goals a season has a better season than if he scores 3 or 4. I disagree and bringing a matter of a couple of assists is even sillier. An assist which could have been a miss kick and poor decision as opposed to not getting an assist if he takes on the entire team, plays a Zidane of a pass to a forward who misses from three inches out so no assist.

Callum Wilson had a better game V Arsenal in which he didn't score than in a good few games in which he scored. 

I didn't say he had a better season, i said it was a myth that he played better under Bruce. His end product is pretty much exactly the same.

And yes, there is a massive difference between Messi (even at the age he is now) and a 25 year old ASM. One has high end product, the other does not.

So saying that he's the best forward on the pitch in some games (which you did), doesn't really hold up to scrutiny.

He needs to do much much better, he has the ability but the question is does he feel like he needs to improve. If he thinks 5 assists a year is going to get him the Ballon d'Or he'll be left waiting.